Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Kia Forte GT Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else noticed the new car smell of their Kia Forte Gt is not as overpowering as other new cars? Don't smoke or eat in my car, but I've noticed the newness of the new smell is deteriorating. Kinda wished it would have lasted longer...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
419 Posts
Can't remember the exact details, but more than a decade ago there was an investigation of new car smell that indicated it had certain toxic characteristics. Kia and Hyundai were noted as the worst offenders.

Car reviewers jokingly said the smell resembled that of kimchi, a fermented cabbage that is a staple of the Korean diet

I remember that smell. A harsh chemical odor that would burn the lungs. The smell was off-gassing from petro-chemicals used in the manufacturer of interior plastic components. Would last for months

My 2008 Kia Optima had that smell. Began to dislike the car until the odor abated. My 2011 Sonata had the smell, but it was remarkably more subdued.

My 2022 Forte had almost no smell at all.

Of all my cars Ford's had the best new car smell. They smelled clean and new with no lung irritation. Of course, those cars had more fabric and less plastic in those days.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2 Steel Grey
432 Posts
Just let it sit in the sun for a week without opening it. You'll get that new car chemical kimchi smell back fffs. Mine is a 2022 about 7 months old. Can attest to sitting and getting back that smell.

·
Registered
2023 Forte GT 6 speed manual Sporty Blue
154 Posts
I felt that my GT’s “new car smell” was overly chemical and very powerful. My wife got headaches for the first few days. It was exponentially better after a week. Still has the new car smell but much more subdued and tolerable. Granted, mine came off the truck on a Friday and I drove it home no more than 16 hours later.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2 Steel Grey
432 Posts
I felt that my GT’s “new car smell” was overly chemical and very powerful. My wife got headaches for the first few days. It was exponentially better after a week. Still has the new car smell but much more subdued and tolerable. Granted, mine came off the truck on a Friday and I drove it home no more than 16 hours later.
I was actually driving by my dealer one morning before they opened and the truck was unloading. I watched mine get unloaded and waited for them to open so I could take it home.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
6,134 Posts
Car reviewers jokingly said the smell resembled that of kimchi, a fermented cabbage that is a staple of the Korean diet
That's horseshit! In NO WAY has the interior of my Kias smelled like Kimchi. Kimchi - the best way to describe the smell - LIKE A SEWER.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,230 Posts
Yeah that smell is the off gassing of new materials (mostly the plastics and adhesives). Mine lost that smell in about a month and a half, but I do occasionally get whiffs of it after leaving it parked outside when it's hot out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts