Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLO Performance Needs A Local Customer For Exhaust Kit Development

Orginally From there.

I'll hopefully be bringing my car to them on Aug 11 for test fitting.

Then we'll have another Catback kit. I'll try to keep you guys posted on the details as they become available. Maybe one of the guys from Solo Performance will pop over and tell you more about the kit they are preparing.

UPDATE: I JUST PASSED THE 5000KM SINCE I FIRST GOT THE EXHAUST ON MY CAR. No CELs, gained 2MPGs, and the sound got even lower and more grumbly when I let off.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Can't wait to hear the details.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I look forward to details too! Tebore, how about talking to them about a dual rear exit kit? it wouldn't take much to modify the rear diffuser...

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I look forward to details too! Tebore, how about talking to them about a dual rear exit kit? it wouldn't take much to modify the rear diffuser...
Like I said they haven't shared too many details with me. All is tentatively scheduled for the 11th.

It was a briefly mentioned to me it's a catback.

I've looked the diffuser too and it is easy to modify, but it may not look too clean if you've ever cut thin plastic you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the dual exhaust has been mentioned-
there are sites in korea that sell both the cat back dual exhausts- and the rear end setups that allow them-
there is a piece that sits up and behind the gas tank where the left hand side of the rear exhaust pipe runs across btwn the spare tire area and the gas tank that looks to cause problems on a lot of different countries cars.........
(that lack of dual rear double pipes kinda bummed me - cuz my 95 grnd am had them)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cool tebore, if you can make a video of the set up or the fit in so we can hear the sound of the exhaust system plz

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an SLR which I'll be bringing to to document it but I don't have a decent video camera but I'm sure the guys at solo will.

Once I'll get it on I'll also head to the GTA meet so people can hear it in person.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Any news ?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was supposed to go last Wednesday but they called me to reschedule. I just talked to Jeff and he's going to get back to me, maybe next Thursday or Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update!

I was able to meet up with Jeff at Solo Performance and we did the test fittings at Zoro Muffler in Mississauga. Let me tell you the parts they have are amazing and the pipe fitters are artists.

This is the progress we've made. At the beginning of the day we've developed two systems that are pretty much ready to roll. The power delivery is smoother and the car pulls harder at the high end. With no sacrifice in the low end.

BUT this wasn't good enough. I brought up the idea of adding a high flow cat to the system. Well this opened a slight can of worms as the sound changed.

We went back to the drawing board to work with this high flow cat as the power gain was even greater. In 5th gear on the auto the car kept pulling past legal road speeds and it was doing it without a problem. Prior to this on the stock exhaust the car needed to be in 4th to really pull. We discovered that this engine loves to breath freely at the high end. But it's a loud system I said I couldn't drive with it daily like this.

SOOOO we figured that a modular cat back system would be the key. That way you can go from mild performance gains with a bit of sound to a system that will help the engine make maximum power.

Currently I have a mild system on my car and I will be at the GTA Show and Shine Saturday for people to listen to it. I hope I can get my car to shine by Saturday.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nice... I'm looking forward to seeing it... Any idea of cost?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nice... I'm looking forward to seeing it... Any idea of cost?
I can't give too many details but the idea is to be less than the Koup R's exhaust (muffler).

I forgot to mention that there are plans to dyno each kit or combination of parts so you can shop by power gain and or sound when the designs are closer to being finalized.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Will I be able to install this on my sedan ?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry guys I was busy with work for the last 2 weeks and missed the thread.

MaxD: Yes you will be able to do this to your Sedan. The kit will even work with the Koup. Enough thought has gone in that you can do this in you drive way with hand tools and jackstands.

Gripphard: Yes St. Catherines did use Solo. I was worried at first because it did sound like crap in the video. But I gave them the benefit of the doubt and helped them with the test fitting anyway.

What happened was St. Catherines Kia kinda rushed them a lot of dealers in the GTA get performance exhausts from Solo and St. Catherines wanted it for the Forte. Also the parts Solo had in their inventory at the time were geared towards making power and good sound for V8s. So they went back to the drawing board to specifically design a resonator that will work with the Forte's engine to give it more power and sound. The parts that are currently on my car are prototypes. The guys who were at the most recent GTA meet told me they loved the sound. Some of them wanted it even louder, which I told them is completely possible, with a simple muffler switch in a modular kit.

Think of it this way, that video gave them some bad PR and hurt their pride. So now they are even more gungho about making a great performing, sounding and well priced exhaust. Their name is pretty much riding on it.

Solo also told me that IF there is enough interest in the exhaust kit the next step will be a header.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any word on that Dyno you mentioned? I'm new to modding, but I know that I'm really interested in a full exhaust kit. You said that the kit is loud...okay, but does it have a high or low tone to it? I'm not into cars that sound like motorcycles. I would love to have a exhaust system that has a low tone to it something similar to the SX-R, but I'm not ready to pay that much for it.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's low tone as I was testing parts with them i made sure that all the parts had a low tone. They sound anywhere like a subie to a car with a small block V8. Well they just so happened to have a Pontiac G8 that day getting a cat back and they sounded similar.
It's like a lions roar.

As for the dyno it'll likely becoming by the end of the month as the tweaking of the kit is done. I'll probably get called soon to bring my car for vids and pics.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
a lions roar!
oooh with a statement like that I'm looking very forward to hearing this product when its done:)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.