Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon!

I finally decided to join the forum, bought a white 2021 Forte GT manual beginning of this year, it's my 9th vehicle (8th with a manual transmission). I am a moderator on the Cruzetalk forum, a quality engineer in east TN, and I needed a good daily. So far the Forte GT has been great. I love the styling and everything is very intuitive, and it has decent midrange power for passing on the highway. I don't like how the computer MPG estimates seem to be optimistic by ~2.5MPG (been averaging 29.0 according to fuelly) and the car tends to run very high intake air temps. Not sure if that has to do with the turbo being behind the engine or perhaps where the sensor is located, but with some heat soak it can easily reach 60 degrees F above ambient temps. I don't like the idea of low speed pre-ignition, so those high IATs alone are enough for me to warrant running 93 octane. Looking forward to keeping this one for awhile (I say that about every car I get rid) The Cruzetalk community was pretty great, so here's to hoping this community is just as good. Cheers!

Vehicle History:
-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6 Automatic 4-speed
-2009 Chevy Cobalt 2LT 2.2L I4 Manual 5-speed
-2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Parallel Twin
-2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Parallel Twin
-2014 Chevy Cruze 1LT 1.4L I4 Turbo Manual 6-speed
-2016 Mazda Miata Sport 2.0L I4 Manual 6-speed
-2014 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7L I4 Manual 5-speed (still own)
-2013 Mini Cooper S 1.6L Turbo Manual 6-speed
-2021 Kia Forte GT 1.6L Turbo Manual 6-speed (current daily driver)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Welcome to forteforums.com! Post pixs when you get a chance.

I used to be a Cobalt nut - 2006 LS and 2007 SS (2.4NA) but Kia out did them,,,lol! I traded in my 2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 NA for a 2010 Forte SX 2.4!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to forteforums.com! Post pixs when you get a chance.

I used to be a Cobalt nut - 2006 LS and 2007 SS (2.4NA) but Kia out did them,,,lol! I traded in my 2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 NA for a 2010 Forte SX 2.4!
I really loved my Cobalt, very rare combo, bright red 2-door coupe with the 2LT package so it came loaded with great stuff like XM, rear spoiler, leather wrapped wheel and shifter, 16" alloys etc full power everything cruise control etc, but it had the non-XFE manual trans and the later revised LAP code 2.2L. It got a lot worse gas mileage than the stripped out XFE that had the tall gearing, but my little car was pretty quick. The shifter in that car had rod linkages too so it felt direct, and it LOVED being abused, like a Honda. Slam shift it, aggressive downshifts, it'd take it like a champ and ask for more. The Cruze on the other hand was polar opposite, it was a terrible car to drive. That transmission did NOT like shifting into second. it was geared it too weird, the huge gap in between 1st and 2nd made the synchros work really hard to line up the gear, and the slop in the cable linkages made quick shifting impossible. Combine that with a tiny 1.4L engine that bogged all the time before the turbo finally spooled and a heavy sedan body, it was awful.

The Forte is more like the Cobalt, it doesn't mind a little hard driving and quick shifting. Which is good, it is a GT car. And that multi-link rear suspension? Such a delight.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My 06 Cobalt LS had the 2.2L, GMPP intake, GMPP Extrude Honed Exhaust Manifold, and the GMPP Performance exhaust (and it was TOO loud!) and was quick. The 07 SS 2.4 turned out to be a dud even though it had the 2.4, K&N intake, GMPP Extrude Honed Exhaust Manifold, and the GMPP Touring exhaust - it was disappointing to drive. Both cars had the "LID" automatic 4-speed - I consider that to be the worst auto-tranny I've ever had the misfortune to drive!!!
Both cars were replaced by 2010 Kia Fortes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts