Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Back in May I was driving my Toyota Corolla (which I loved), when a drunk driver rear ended me. After 4 months of hospital visits with no car, fighting with the insurance companies, lawyers, etc. I finally got a new car! 2010 black Forte. 4 door because I have a little brother and 2 little sisters I'm always driving around. Black.

I never did anything with my Corolla because it was an older model (2003), and it was kinda a girly looking car. I put some tint on it but that was about it.

The Forte actually looks like a man's car, and I want to make her pretty. I'm planning on getting dark tint on it tomorrow, but after that I need some help. I want to put some better speakers in it, but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to buying them. My friend has 2 10"s in his car, not quite sure how much I should pay or have them installed for. Is it possible to install them with the stock radio or do I need to change the headset? I don't know how to put them in so I'm gonna have to do it professionally, any idea of how much they would cost to purchase the subs and have them installed??

I also want to get my tail lights tinted, and get some new rims. No idea what size rims I have now, no idea what's a good brand or how much a good price is for them. I saw some on this site earlier, red and black illusions I think they were called. About how much do they run?

Also, I've read that you can't hook up the ipods to the actual radio unless you have Kia's proper cable. I know some people got theirs for free- should I just walk into the dealership and ask for one? Or how should I go about that? I can buy it if I need to, but if there's a way to get it free I'd like to go that route =P

Sorry if these are silly questions guys, I'm just excited to be part of the Forte family. I've got a nice car now and I'd like to make it mine. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
if you have an sx sedan, your running on 17" wheels. if you have a lower model, youre probably on the steelies which are 15".
for wheels:
Are you looking for car rims, custom wheels, performance tires, chrome wheels or black rims? WheelsNext.com is the solution!
Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels
Discount Tire, Custom Wheels, Truck & Car Rims | Discount Tire

a majority of the rest of the things you could do are either found on ebay or autozone pretty much.

as far as an ipod cable goes, i was sent mine via mail. oh and you can use your ipod with a regular aux cable but you wont be able to use the steering controls

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome and congrats on ur new ride...

The questions u have are valid but the answers are not so straight forward..
Speakers: u dont have to change the head unit to hook up the subs. I've got 2X 10's running off the stock head unit.
The prices vary so much because of the quality of speakers, then u will get into amps as well...and so on and so forth. Good Luck :) It is a fun journey when u start modding :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Aidensgrand: Thanks for that site, it helps a lot! I've been running my phone off of the aux cable, but it's killing my battery so I think it'd be better to grab the right one. Thanks a lot.

@blkkoup: Do you have any recommendations on subs/amps? Or a website where I can plug my car into and try to find them? Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

@ Heralterego: I'm from Southern California, Inland Empire to be more precise.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome Eduncan,

I had one 10" in my Jeep Wrangler and even with the top down it seemed like plenty. You'll definitely need an amp if you're going to run it off the stock head unit.

You should ask the guys that are doing your window tint if they'll do the tail lights as well. They may not, I think that's illegal in SoCal if I remember correctly. Sometimes you can find shops that will do it anyway.

Like Aidensgrand said, Tire Rack is a good sight as well as Wheelsnext.

Good Luck, Keep us up to date with pics!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dealer was cheap and wouldnt give me a cable, I ended up buying an official KIA cable off ebay which works great. Less than 20 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Eduncan...I am in Valencia. PM me and I can set you up with a few suppliers for Audio equipment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts