Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,825 Posts
Depends on where you live and what kind of traffic you deal with daily. In today's traffic there are too many nut cases -- just plain lousy drivers -- if you get run over what do you save? Play it safe!!!

Seriously...spending $4000 plus on a bike will take a while to make up for with the SMALL savings in gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never understood the idea of saving $250 in gas a year by buying an expensive bike...but if that's what you need to tell yourself to buy one...go for it...LoL!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Depends on where you live and what kind of traffic you deal with daily. In today's traffic there are too many nut cases -- just plain lousy drivers -- if you get run over what do you save? Play it safe!!!

Seriously...spending $4000 plus on a bike will take a while to make up for with the SMALL savings in gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never understood the idea of saving $250 in gas a year by buying an expensive bike...but if that's what you need to tell yourself to buy one...go for it...LoL!
same logic can be applied to hybrid cars... (unless you do lots of driving...)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scooter is only what $4grand not even. And I would be getting what is it close to 80 or 90 mpg. and a hybrid is way more expecive so yea

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bob...That was my excuse to the fiance so I could get a bike in the spring since I just got my license over the summer...So I understand your logic if it's the same as mine! haha....

·
Registered
51 Posts
My $.02

A buddy of mine tried to convince me that his fiance wanted to get a scooter because she doesn't live that far from work... He showed me pictures and asked my oppinon since I have road on two wheels for almost two decades (god saying it that way makes me feel old) It had the same style as the pic you provided, you know good old fashion scooter. For the lady it was a perfect buy, not to much power but just enough for city.

Then the day came and I seen him cruising the streets on it.... :eek: Talk about a funny site :D.

Now don't get me wrong I have no issue with people riding on two wheels whatever the machine... but if your going to spend $3,500.00 why not do it with some style and get something like this.

This is the Aprilia rs50... a 50cc motorcycle ish (made for racing) it will get up to 80 at best and be 60+ mpg...

So sacrifices would have to be made, however, look at the ride.

Oh and I spent $7,000.00 on a bike with the excuse it will save me gas money... But, that was just for the wife.... I just really enjoy the ride. I also get a good 50+ mpg, unless I am really on it but, it never drops below 45 seriously and that's with blowing a whole tank with speeds averaging anywhere between 80-100 mph...

So I vote whatever machine you are comfortable letting your friends see you drive, ;) (had to toss that in) a deffinate go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I will be seen on a scooter. I don't care becausee Ill be laughing when im getting 80mpg. Yea a $20,000 Bike would be nice but its just to much and the mpg will be the same if not less. Many reasons for everytihng. Plus I wouldnt want to buy a used bike (cheaper then a brand new obviously) But yea O well.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,825 Posts
LoL! You can laugh about the 80 MPG and gas "savings" but if I see you I'll be laughing that you spent $4000...plus taxes...plus insurance...plus registration...plus maintenance...to save $250 a year...LoL! Just get the bike if you want it...you don't have to convince us why you got it...LoL!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1. insurance will be about what $200 a year
2. maintenace slim to none. you will have more maintenace will a bike
3. I will be saving more then $250 a year.
4. I dont want a Bike because I will probs be getting my CDL license. For work and if I get a bike i will encourage myself to speed. If I get cought speeding with a CDL license I could get that taken away.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Kia Forte Koup 2.4 = 15,000 miles / 22 mpg * 3.24 = $2,209.09 Average Annually (I'd bet you get better mileage than this, just used EPA)

Now, take the cost of this scooter, and divide it's price over the course of it's lifetime (I'd say 4 years, max)

So, not including insurance, registration, maintenance (and yes, there will be maintenance - scooter tires and brakes wear out like you wouldn't believe) = $3,499.00 * 1.07 (Not sure your sales tax?) = $3,743.93.

Vehicle cost over 4 years = $935.98/yr
Now, let's calculate your mileage on a scooter (keep in mind, I'm sure you won't do every mile of those 15,000 miles on your scooter so this is the absolute minimum price you will spend on gas).
15,000 miles / 90 mpg (which you won't be getting, trust me) * 3.24 = 540.00

So, your minimum price will start at $935.98 + $540.00 = $1,475.98 (Again, assuming that you don't use your other vehicle AT ALL)

A total savings of $733.11 (Annually) and over 4 years, $2,932.44.

However, I'd expect you only drive this thing around for a max of 2 years, bringing your annual cost to $2,411.96 - A $200.00 expenditure NOT SAVINGS!

The scooter is only what $4grand not even. And I would be getting what is it close to 80 or 90 mpg. and a hybrid is way more expecive so yea
Clearly you're not really concerned about spending $4,000, so I don't know why you'd go out of your way to save a measly $733.11 per year.

Here's the point, if you want a scooter, get it, but don't justify it on the premise that you're going to get massive savings, honestly, once you take out insurance and maintenance you'll be down to around 400 bucks or so. You'll be spending that on new shoes because they got crapped up while driving your scooter ;)

Enjoy!

*Edit: Also this estimate did not include the price of a good helmet (about $200) and other important necessities.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Kia Forte Koup 2.4 = 15,000 miles / 22 mpg * 3.24 = $2,209.09 Average Annually (I'd bet you get better mileage than this, just used EPA) I average 26-27 MPG overall.

Now, take the cost of this scooter, and divide it's price over the course of it's lifetime (I'd say 4 years, max)

So, not including insurance, registration, maintenance (and yes, there will be maintenance - scooter tires and brakes wear out like you wouldn't believe) = $3,499.00 * 1.07 (Not sure your sales tax?) = $3,743.93. Try 8% or greater on average

Vehicle cost over 4 years = $935.98/yr
Now, let's calculate your mileage on a scooter (keep in mind, I'm sure you won't do every mile of those 15,000 miles on your scooter so this is the absolute minimum price you will spend on gas).
15,000 miles / 90 mpg (which you won't be getting, trust me) * 3.24 = 540.00 Pipe dream -- try a more realistic 50 MPG -- and that is ONLY if driven slowly...at or near highway speeds will significantly reduce the MPG.

So, your minimum price will start at $935.98 + $540.00 = $1,475.98 (Again, assuming that you don't use your other vehicle AT ALL)

A total savings of $733.11 (Annually) and over 4 years, $2,932.44.

However, I'd expect you only drive this thing around for a max of 2 years, bringing your annual cost to $2,411.96 - A $200.00 expenditure NOT SAVINGS!

Clearly you're not really concerned about spending $4,000, so I don't know why you'd go out of your way to save a measly $733.11 per year.

Here's the point, if you want a scooter, get it, but don't justify it on the premise that you're going to get massive savings, honestly, once you take out insurance and maintenance you'll be down to around 400 bucks or so. You'll be spending that on new shoes because they got crapped up while driving your scooter ;)

Enjoy!

*Edit: Also this estimate did not include the price of a good helmet (about $200) and other important necessities.

If you're going to nit-pick the costs you need to factor in a lot more -- yearly registration, yearly insurance, none for maintenance? -- try regular OIL CHANGES, helmet, the fact that it can't be driven every day due to weather -- and the need to haul other things. Fact is he'll still need to drive something else pretty often. Unless he intends to get rid of his car...his true savings will be NO WHERE NEAR $733 a year - that's a "pipe dream".

Let's also factor in injury -- as in the probability of him being on the recieving end of an accident. Getting hit on a glorified moped ain't fun...LoL

This is just a lame "spend more money to save less money" reason.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ForteSX2.4, I was agreeing with you. 733 would be his absolute maximum savings, that's assuming he does no maintenance, no helmet, no registration, no regular car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All -

Speaking as the owner of a classic 1960 Vespa Grand Sport (150cc), I can tell you that riding a scooter can be a real blast. Now... newer scoots surely have better features, higher MPG, less of a carbon footprint... but... damn, that scooter is just plain FUN to ride!

If he wants to get a scooter to scoot around on, he SHOULD. To hell with any cost-comparisons; it's like apples and oranges. The main reason to get a scooter is thus: BECAUSE YOU WANT TO! I will readily admit that a scooter isn't everyone's cup of tea. A lot of guys will be looking at Harleys and other classic large-displacement rides with torque from here until next week. A scooter is more of an urban, in-city ride... you can get around traffic better than anything else, and park just about anywhere.

Just my two cents....

and by the way..... my scooter is so classic, the New York City Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) actually has a copy of MY scooter on DISPLAY: MoMA | The Collection | Corradino D'Ascanio. Vespa GS 150. 1955

Someone must think it's cool.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts