Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Last week bought a 2020 forte with 40 miles on it. Now has about 550 and it makes a very very noticeable ticking noise. Is this normal on a forte or this is a sign of trouble? Thanks. Attached a YouTube video of the noise.

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
Sounds a bit ticky, yeah, but sometimes the video makes it sound worse. It wasn't making that sound before? You put 500 miles on it in 2 days?

It's brand new, just bring it back to the dealer to have it checked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds a bit ticky, yeah, but sometimes the video makes it sound worse. It wasn't making that sound before? You put 500 miles on it in 2 days?

It was not making the sound when I test drive it, no. I actually meant to put two weeks* I updated my original post, thanks for pointing that out. Bought it last week Wednesday. Sound is very noticeable from the cabin. And will do. I will reach out to them to see if they can take a look at it.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
It was not making the sound when I test drive it, no. I actually meant to put two weeks* I updated my original post, thanks for pointing that out. Bought it last week Wednesday. Sound is very noticeable from the cabin. And will do. I will reach out to them to see if they can take a look at it.
Hope they dont give you the classic "we couldn't replicate it" 😭😬
Joking aside, best of luck...mine makes a ticking on cold starts, but its just the high pressure pump for the GDI...seeing yours doesnt seem to be a GDI, hopefully its non-serious lifter noise (commonly called lash adjusters on over head cam engines), or timing chain...heck could even be the injectors since they're not buried under the intake on MPI engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope they dont give you the classic "we couldn't replicate it" 😭😬
Joking aside, best of luck...mine makes a ticking on cold starts, but its just the high pressure pump for the GDI..seeing yours doesnt seem to be a GDI, hopefully its non serious lifter noise (commonly called lash adjusters on over head cam engines), or timing chain...heck could even be the injectors since they're not buried under the Intake on mpi engines
When I took some information back to the dealership, I did mention a slight ticking noise. The salesman said this was normal and any other 2020 would make the same noise. Something about how if I don’t hear this noise then that’s a cause for concern. Believe he also mentioned the noise has to do with the injectors. I did not ask them to specifically look at the noise on my visit though. It does appear that it’s getting louder and louder on cold starts now. Never before bought a new car, and I’m a little shaken over the experience so far. I did check the oil level in the forte and it’s only half full with only 550 miles on it. I have never dealt with a dealership before either so I will have to reach out to them to see if they can look at it, I did buy the extended warranty so I hope they can provide clarification or information on what’s going on.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
When I took some information back to the dealership, I did mention a slight ticking noise. The salesman said this was normal and any other 2020 would make the same noise. Something about how if I don’t hear this noise then that’s a cause for concern. Believe he also mentioned the noise has to do with the injectors. I did not ask them to specifically look at the noise on my visit though. It does appear that it’s getting louder and louder on cold starts now. Never before bought a new car, and I’m a little shaken over the experience so far. I did check the oil level in the forte and it’s only half full with only 550 miles on it. I have never dealt with a dealership before either so I will have to reach out to them to see if they can look at it, I did buy the extended warranty so I hope they can provide clarification or information on what’s going on.
By half full do you mean halfway between the Max and Min line? If so that's "normal"...maybe: Im not sure if Kia factory fills them to the max line, or half-way...both are normal and acceptable...but if it was on max, and now half way down, then that's an issue because a new car shouldn't be consuming oil at such a rate. Next time I would have them actually look at the car. If it concerns you, its not gonna hurt it to get it looked at. Id personally be worried too if my car made a noise that i didn't know the cause of!

You could also ask them to top off the oil if they want to be jerks about it..that way you can monitor if it is consuming oil. (and have proof to them it is, if it is, by telling them they topped it off for you a while back if need be)

To be completely honest with you, that salesman saying "if you don't here it its bad" thing sounds to me like the typical salesman that doesn't know what he's actually talking, about and doesn't want his customer to worry about the car that he just got paid for (i could be completely wrong. Who knows)...like I said, taking it to actually get looked at certainly wont do harm to it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By half full do you mean halfway between the Max and Min line? If so that's "normal"...maybe: Im not sure if Kia factory fills them to the max line, or half-way...both are normal and acceptable...but if it was on max, and now half way down, then that's an issue because a new car shouldn't be consuming oil at such a rate. Next time I would have them actually look at the car. If it concerns you, its not gonna hurt it to get it looked at. Id personally be worried too if my car made a noise that i didn't know the cause of!

You could also ask them to top off the oil if they want to be jerks about it..that way you can monitor if it is consuming oil. (and have proof to them it is, if it is, by telling them they topped it off for you a while back if need be)
Will have to check here in about an hour. If I remember correctly it was about halfway between min and max. Hopefully this is nothing crazy. I’ve had a long streak about a month now dating back with car trouble that’s been extremely frustrating which led to me even getting the Forte. Hope it’s not a major issue and if there is one hopefully it’ll be resolved. Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
Will have to check here in about an hour. If I remember correctly it was about halfway between min and max. Hopefully this is nothing crazy. I’ve had a long streak about a month now dating back with car trouble that’s been extremely frustrating which led to me even getting the Forte. Hope it’s not a major issue and if there is one hopefully it’ll be resolved. Thanks for your replies!
No problem, and feel you completely bro...last car died in traffic on me and didnt have the cash for a decent used one...so financing was my only option...fast forward a few weeks of bumming off an economy rental...Im in a Forte

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No problem, and feel you completely bro...last car died in traffic on me and didnt have the cash for a decent used one...so financing was my only option
that’s exactly the scenario that happened with me. Truck died about a month ago, which I knew was coming. Was okay with it, had some money saved. Went and bought a Hyundai Accent that had a bad transmission. Now I was getting low on funds and really felt financing was my best route with a warranty. One more mistake car wise financially and I was hit so I went to Kia. Pretty daunting having this 20k loan though

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
that’s exactly the scenario that happened with me. Truck died about a month ago, which I knew was coming. Was okay with it, had some money saved. Went and bought a Hyundai Accent that had a bad transmission. Now I was getting low on funds and really felt financing was my best route with a warranty. One more mistake car wise financially and I was hit so I went to Kia. Pretty daunting having a 20,000 loan. Lol.
yeah it sucks honestly...before I actually bought the car, i was kinda excited about the idea of having a new car (im young and naive like that)...now that ive "been there done that" with both driving a decent used car paid off since the day i bought it, and being in debt to a monthly payment...i much prefer the first option :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it sucks honestly...before I actually bought the car, i was kinda excited about the idea of having a new car (im young and naive like that)...now that ive "been there done that" with both driving a decent used car paid off since the day i bought it, and being in debt to a monthly payment...i much prefer the first option :p
no doubt lol I haven’t even made my first payment and I’m already feeling this 🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
If/when you go to the dealer, also ask to listen to another one to compare.

Note that a ticking noise IS normal. It's the "getting worse" part that's concerning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If/when you go to the dealer, also ask to listen to another one to compare.

Note that a ticking noise IS normal. It's the "getting worse" part that's concerning.
Will do. Going to contact the dealer tomorrow. Will update the thread when I get some clarity on the situation.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
658 Posts

To be completely honest with you, that salesman saying "if you don't here it its bad" thing sounds to me like the typical salesman that doesn't know what he's actually talking, about and doesn't want his customer to worry about the car that he just got paid for (i could be completely wrong. Who knows)...like I said, taking it to actually get looked at certainly wont do harm to it :)
Salesmen are just money hungry thirsty desperate for sales & like instahoes & instasluts selling their content like candy. Buyer be ware.

Don't let the stealership push you around. Demand to look at your brand new vehicle it's under warranty @550 miles.

Use that warranty as much as you can before the expiration date/whichever comes 1st warranty. If sh*t pops up that to you doesn't sound, function or just isn't right, then take it to the dealership. Ask, check & verify for any & all recalls to you particular vehicle. Alot of dealerships won't tell you about recalls until it's too late & since you're the grown ass adult "should've known & done something but decided to procrastinate & bs" like the SNL skit "ah buh bye, buh bye, bye bye"

Tell them to show you want to hear a few of the same models hoods up engines on. If any salesman says why or hesitates or standoffish, belligerent about doing so, take that as they know about the problem & dont care about the customer.

If you do get that to happen & they all sound the same like yours then take it as ok, for now.

Keep an eye on fluids & their levels. Shouldn't be ANY leaking or needing refills.

When you're done driving around for a few hrs & calling it a day/night, put a clean cardboard or similar to detect & catch any drips/leaks.

If you've had the AC on it will leak water. That's the only thing that leaks from a 2020/2021 vehicles.

My 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 @ 90,050 miles doesn't even leak any fluids at all. Just when I use the cold AC.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
Salesmen are just money hungry thirsty desperate for sales & like instahoes & instasluts selling their content like candy. Buyer be ware.

Don't let the stealership push you around. Demand to look at your brand new vehicle it's under warranty @550 miles.

Use that warranty as much as you can before the expiration date/whichever comes 1st warranty. If sh*t pops up that to you doesn't sound, function or just isn't right, then take it to the dealership. Ask, check & verify for any & all recalls to you particular vehicle. Alot of dealerships won't tell you about recalls until it's too late & since you're the grown ass adult "should've known & done something but decided to procrastinate & bs" like the SNL skit "ah buh bye, buh bye, bye bye"

Tell them to show you want to hear a few of the same models hoods up engines on. If any salesman says why or hesitates or standoffish, belligerent about doing so, take that as they know about the problem & dont care about the customer.

If you do get that to happen & they all sound the same like yours then take it as ok, for now.

Keep an eye on fluids & their levels. Shouldn't be ANY leaking or needing refills.

When you're done driving around for a few hrs & calling it a day/night, put a clean cardboard or similar to detect & catch any drips/leaks.

If you've had the AC on it will leak water. That's the only thing that leaks from a 2020/2021 vehicles.

My 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 @ 90,050 miles doesn't even leak any fluids at all. Just when I use the cold AC.
yeah as far as im aware..the only noise of a car thats bad to NOT hear would be the engine running correctly lol...who knows he coulda been right, but I personally would never trust a salesman when it comes to the well being of the car

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sounds like classic Kia engine ticking problem. It's what mine sounded like until Kia replaced it with a new engine
I thought Kia has a 3 month return policy, if your not satisfied with the vehicle; you can trade it in for another Kia. My dealership has this policy and has no problems with it. My 2015 Forte makes a ticking sound as well, probably the tapettes oiling passages are to small; once the oil warms up the issue disappears. My Forte ticking is minor compared to the sound coming from that video, it’s like totally not cool and bogus! All the domestic vehicles that I have purchased from new,all had almost NO oil on the stick. I am a real stickler, I pop the hood to take a look around at the power plant; and I ask if I can scope out the oil and other fluids. Every single time ALL FLUIDS LOW! You have to look at it from the car manufacturers point of view, there saving money by not topping off the fluids, their also saving money on shipping; ie: less weight. Sounds like the vehicle in question probably had next to nothing on the oil stick, pre inspection was more than likely never done; dam shame Forte is like a totally bitch’n ride! Take a look at your contract, somewhere in the very small print it should say you have 90 days to trade it in for another! Dealership probably didn’t mention that to you? I highly doubt it! A lot of other manufacturers have the same return policy, although time periods will vary. I know for sure you can’t return the vehicle and expect to get a wheelbarrow of cash back, everyone would be pulling a scam on the auto industries; drive a new vehicle and saying their not satisfied; and getting a free ride for a month or two. I am new to the site and enjoying it every time I sign in! Trade in that time bomb, and when you take a look at the next one, have a clean rag with you to check the oil; same goes to anyone else who’s looking to purchase a new ride from ANY car manufacturer! (Gave up on domestic vehicles, received poor service, quality and performance!) Happy motor’n to all on site!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
I thought Kia has a 3 month return policy, if your not satisfied with the vehicle; you can trade it in for another Kia. My dealership has this policy and has no problems with it. My 2015 Forte makes a ticking sound as well, probably the tapettes oiling passages are to small; once the oil warms up the issue disappears. My Forte ticking is minor compared to the sound coming from that video, it’s like totally not cool and bogus! All the domestic vehicles that I have purchased from new,all had almost NO oil on the stick. I am a real stickler, I pop the hood to take a look around at the power plant; and I ask if I can scope out the oil and other fluids. Every single time ALL FLUIDS LOW! You have to look at it from the car manufacturers point of view, there saving money by not topping off the fluids, their also saving money on shipping; ie: less weight. Sounds like the vehicle in question probably had next to nothing on the oil stick, pre inspection was more than likely never done; dam shame Forte is like a totally bitch’n ride! Take a look at your contract, somewhere in the very small print it should say you have 90 days to trade it in for another! Dealership probably didn’t mention that to you? I highly doubt it! A lot of other manufacturers have the same return policy, although time periods will vary. I know for sure you can’t return the vehicle and expect to get a wheelbarrow of cash back, everyone would be pulling a scam on the auto industries; drive a new vehicle and saying their not satisfied; and getting a free ride for a month or two. I am new to the site and enjoying it every time I sign in! Trade in that time bomb, and when you take a look at the next one, have a clean rag with you to check the oil; same goes to anyone else who’s looking to purchase a new ride from ANY car manufacturer! (Gave up on domestic vehicles, received poor service, quality and performance!) Happy motor’n to all on site!
As much as i hate to admit it myself, to do agree too that "made in America" doesn't mean anything as far as quality anymore. You're paying for expensive labor, not quality. The simple reason is because technology is advancing and becoming cheaper as it does so, allowing more efficient manufacturing and places like China are able to make damn good stuff, and absolutely do. A majority of products from American based companies are designed in America, but manufactured in another country with cheap labor. Of course you could make the argument that you're supporting American jobs, but 99% of stuff "made" in America is assembled in America with out sourced components anyways. Even if it was truly 100% made in America from start to finish, I bet you at least some of the raw materials were in the hull of a ship or the cabin of a aircraft flying out of some other country.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As much as i hate to admit it myself, to do agree too that "made in America" doesn't mean anything as far as quality anymore. You're paying for expensive labor, not quality. The simple reason is because technology is advancing and becoming cheaper as it does so, allowing more efficient manufacturing and places like China are able to make damn good stuff, and absolutely do. A majority of products from American based companies are designed in America, but manufactured in another country with cheap labor. Of course you could make the argument that you're supporting American jobs, but 99% of stuff "made" in America is assembled in America with out sourced components anyways. Even if it was truly 100% made in America from start to finish, I bet you at least some of the raw materials were in the hull of a ship or the cabin of a aircraft flying out of some other country.
A lot of domestic manufacturers are building vehicles in Mexico, for the Canadian and American market. Jobs lost in N.America, a lot of issues with vehicles coming out of Mexico! Chat later I’m at work dude!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts