Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 98 Grand Prix died recently, so I'll probably be getting a Koup soon. I had some questions that I hoped you guys could answer.

1. No glass antenna like on the GP, but can I remove the whip and still get decent reception? I'll never use sat radio.

2. I had leather on the GP, and grew to love it. First off, is leather absolutely only available on the SX? And is it nice leather, or cheap stuff?

3. Is there any way to get climate control without the rest of the crap in that package? Could I replace the control unit, or are there sensors and such that go with it?

4. I have an amp and sub that I'm going to mount. I'm guessing this will void some of the warranty. Which parts would be affected?

5. I also have a headunit I'd prefer instead of the stock radio. I don't care about bluetooth or wheel-mounted controls. There's no normal DIN or double DIN slot like in my GP, so I know I'll need a whole dash kit. Is there a best one to get? And which parts of the warranty will that void, if any? Obviously the warranty on the headunit.

6. I saw that there's LED lights around the speakers. Is there any way to not get that? It looks just as stupid as it did on the Soul commercials, and apparently there's an extra control section for them.

7. Should the stock speakers be replaced? I get very deep discounts on them, so answer as if there is a very, very small cost for doing it. The aforementioned sub will take care of everything below 125Hz, so I don't care about ultra low end. I'd probably end up with Alpine S or R.

8. On the GP, you could permanently disable the DRLs by unplugging a module in the dash. Can they be disabled on the Koup, either through unplugging something or removing a fuse? (I live in the US, not Canada BTW)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can answer a couple for you. The leather is nice and smooth and it doesn't feel rubbery at all like most pleathers do.
A sub will NOT void your warranty unless a power surge fries your ecu ( which is next to impossible)
The stock speakers work pretty well with the stock head unit. I imagine an aftermarket head would probably blow the speakers though if you are running the sub loud because you will be trying to keep up with the volume.

Other than that, package details are a little different here in Canada but I would imagine that you can probably negotiate most of what you want with the dealership.

Good luck with getting your car! I know you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us do. :)

Deuce

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I installed the stubby antenna and noticed a loss in reception (mostly when going under overpasses of in underground garage) So totally removing it will be a big hit on reception. Probably best to go with the shark fin if you don't like antenna looks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. The sub is just there to handle the LF, and it's sealed, not ported. I'm not the type to crank the gain to make the whole trunk rattle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In that case you can save a whole bunch of money and just run it off the stock equipment! Just don't forget your LOC.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^are you in the USA? Atleast you can get a dash kit from metra to change the deck. Us Canadians cannot with out modification.

·
Registered
211 Posts
speakers suck in the koup change them but be ready for a battle with them, the leather in my opinion sucks, only way to get most of the stuff you want is in packages and lights on door come stock also you will like the car regardless

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you are going to swap the head unit out anyways then it would be a very good idea to do speakers as well. Stock head units typically push around 10 watts/speaker to the very efficient, but weak stock speakers. Aftermarket head units typically push around 50 watts/speaker so if you don't swap the speakers then they will probably blow the first time you turn it up to show it off to a friend.

Like I said. Stock works well with stock, even if you add a sub. But change head or speaks and you should change them both.

I have a Frickin loud sub running off stock head and speaks and it sounds fine to me. But I usually keep loud enough that any speaker clipping that might be happening is drown out by the rattle of the dash and the BOOM from my trunk. Lol

Deuce

·
Registered
427 Posts
The leather, I think, is paper thin and not worth the cost.

The speakers are great as they are, I thought they were adequate but could use some extra bass support.

The rings on the speakers are cool as hell!! If you dont like it, shut them off via the control near the fusebox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in a small town, so I hope my dealer has a Forte with leather that I can see.

So if the leather isn't worth it, that brings me to my next question: is the SX worth it? I like the additional power and handling, but I also like the cheaper price and better mpg of the EX. I don't care about the wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts