Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a Forte SX Koupe, so far I am pleased with my purchase.

Specs:
Blue
6 Speed
Moon Roof
Cloth Seats (Didn't want leather. Too much of a hassle.)

Just a little background:

I was recently in a 2007 Cadillac CTS-V, but had to make a financial decision to get rid of it. See: Working on getting married to a Med Student which means living on one income for a min of 4 years, so a high car payment, insurance, fuel costs (Premium Fuel only and most of my driving is city which means about 13 mpg), and maintenance costs aren't going to cut it if we are going to stay a float during that time. So I started my hunt for a economical car starting with the usual suspects and here I am.

Those that are not familiar with a CTS-V:

Specs:
6.0L V8 (400 HP close to the same in torque. 0-60: High 4's or low 5's depending on environment)
6 speed manual
4 Piston Brembo Brakes on all four corners
Built in Nav
Electronic everything

Koup Review:

In all my years I would have never thought I would actually own a KIA or be happy about owning one especially coming off a car like the V (Power to Surprise indeed). In comparison to the V these two cars are galaxies apart, but on some levels they aren't and in fact I feel in a few areas the Koup shines.

So lets talk about the Koup. Out of all the cars in its class this car is head and shoulders above its competition. I find the cars steering to be tight and responsive, its just missing a little feedback but I can live with that (A little bummed about the rear not being an independent suspension). It handles and corners well, and the 2.4L feels a bit more peppy compared to a Civic, Ford or Cobalt and it even comes close to a Civic SI in peppiness which is a great thing. The MPG on this car is good but anything over 13 mpg is good for me. So all these things spell win for this car. The only complaint I have about the drive ability of this car is the clutch and throttle. I think the last time I stalled a manual car this much was when I was learning how to drive one, so this has been a bit of a challenge but I'm getting it figured out. A few more weeks and I'm sure I'll have down how this car likes to be driven from a stop light.

The interior of the car is nice for its class. The part where I think this car shines in comparison to its competition is the things it comes standard with, the bluetooth and the USB/AUX hook ups in particular. In other models of cars you have to jump to the next level of trim and pay a higher price for these things. With the bluetooth and USB/AUX being standard, I feel this is where the Koup outshines the V (2007 did not have a USB or AUX in for the stereo. You had to buy expensive kits to make this happen. Same for bluetooth.).

So lets talk about the coup d'état for this car and the main reason this car is positioned to possible take over the Civic. The looks of the car. The car looks great. The design is great. KIA could have gone with its normal econobox styling but they really went after it and produced a handsome car. When I first started looking at cars in this class I thought I was going to be relegated to a car that looks bland and was kind of a bummer to drive, but when I saw this car I actually got excited that I wouldn't have to settle being pidgin holed into a mundane car.

At any rate, sorry for being so long but I'm slightly excited about this purchase and just thought I would share my story.

One other note: Anyone wish that the fog lights would turn on when the parking lights are turned on and the fog lights are set to be on? I really think the car would look nice during that in between time before dusk if this would work. Not sure if there is a mod that can be done to make this happen but its just an added thing that a lot of other cars with fog lights do that I think would be nice.

Cheers,

Chicken

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the review Chicken. I just got a Corsa Blue SX too and I'm really enjoying it. My only "major" complaint is the stereo...it needs a proper equalizer. Kia nailed to look and feel of the Koup tho.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
One other note: Anyone wish that the fog lights would turn on when the parking lights are turned on and the fog lights are set to be on? I really think the car would look nice during that in between time before dusk if this would work. Not sure if there is a mod that can be done to make this happen but its just an added thing that a lot of other cars with fog lights do that I think would be nice.

Cheers,

Chicken
soar4fun has come with an easy mod to give you close to what you are looking for.

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/koup-body-kits-appearance/203-fog-lamp-mod-drl.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just recently bought a Forte SX Koupe, so far I am pleased with my purchase.

Specs:
Blue
6 Speed
Moon Roof
Cloth Seats (Didn't want leather. Too much of a hassle.)

Cheers,

Chicken
Good review pretty well echos what I think of the Forte Koup. As far as the foglights go, over here in Australia you can make the foglights come on when you turn parklights on. I always drive with my foglights on at dusk, it must be able to be configured somehow as I doubt Kia would make a car that different for each country they sell in.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Cool will try the fog light mod monday, thanks for the link. As for the review hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts