Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my other thread you know that I just picked up a new Forte SX with auto trans yesterday. Based on my reading the other Kia-forums forum, I knew there was a 2nd to 3rd gear shift problem on some cars. When I test drove the car yesterday I did not experience the problem. I did not test sufficiently. :mad: My car has the problem. I talked to the dealer and they told me 'no returns'. I'm not a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
call KIA.. see if they wanna help..

1-800-333-4Kia (4542)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'll call Kia in a few days. Right now I feel sick.

I'm fairly confidant that Kia will take care of it in the long run. I just don't feel like having to fight that battle.

Sure takes the fun out of the new car experience. I don't even want to drive it right now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not to be cynical, but why would they allow you to return the car? All cars are a final sale, unless explicitly stated otherwise (i.e. the GM 60 day money-back guarantee they had a while ago).

You were familiar with the possibility of this problem before you purchased the car.

You've only told us that the dealer said no returns (as expected). What are they doing to fix it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Don't let it ruin your new car experience. It's really just a mechanical issue that a lot of cars suffer from. That's why you have a warranty. Your dealer won't return it, most wouldn't, but it's under warranty and they have to fix it. I'm sure it's just a reprogram or something they already know about, so its really a simple matter of bringing it in and they will fix it. It won't be the first time you have to take it in. If everything else was good, such as scratches, dents etc, low mileage, then thats most of the battle. This is a minor issue.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Check with your local Better Business Bureau -- no, they won't do the fight for you -- but check on the laws in your area. Locally - in my neck of the woods - a person has a three day grace period in which you can return a new car. I hope you find something similar.

Take it to the dealer and have the service department open a job on your car -- if it happens with a test drive then they will input this "on your car's record" -- this will help YOU in the long run. Also, another avenue you have is to call the 1-800 Kia number and let them know you have a problem AFTER you take it in and get it documented -- they may give you a case number AND will want you to follow up with that case number when you take it back to the service department for repair of that problem.

I've printed this before...this tranny problem appears to be large enough that they need a fix...call the 1-800 Kia number if you have this problem so that they really get the big picture!

...and as hard as this is...keep your cool!!!! People are more apt to help if your nice and understanding...and tune you out if you're not...

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you can't get any help from the Manager of the dealership, Refuse to drive the car and have it towed to the dealership, call KIA roadside assistance. If you want to get the attention of KIA headquarters, this works they'll call you and want to know why you had to have it towed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've calmed down quite a bit since I first started this thread. :eek: I was making myself miserable. I decided that I just needed to 'get over it'.

I find that I can drive the car very gently for that first shift from 2nd to 3rd and almost eliminate the problem. So I'm OK for now.

Of course when Kia comes up with a fix I'll take it in and have that done. I'm trying to enjoy my new car now. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately I now know what you're talking about, wbw. I believe I experienced this problem a short while ago after picking up lunch. I went to pull out of the parking lot, got on the road and started accelerating. I pushed it a little harder than say average normal driving (I also had the AC on) and the whole car seemed to lurch pretty hard when shifting. After that it didn't happen anymore on the way back. Needless to say it was quite disturbing. This wasn't the first time I put the AC on either. Don't know what triggered it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you've got the problem also. :(

It has to do with differing circumstances when you drive. Maybe you were not on the gas very much (prior to today) when you had your first 2nd to 3rd shift. I've already leared to drive so that it barely happens at all. If you can go lightly on the gas when it makes that first shift from 2nd to 3rd you'll minimize the problem. After the first shift (2nd to 3rd) you're OK until the next time you start the car.
I'm still fairly confidant that Kia will figure it out. On the other Kia forum, one of the members there has had Kia reps ride in the car with him and experienced the problem while their computer was plugged into his vehicle. So Kia had captured the data during the event. I think they'll figure it out and come up with a software fix. The assumption being that if it was a mechanical problem it would happen during every 2/3 shift, not just the first one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, that's good to hear. I'm a pretty laid back person so I'm not freaking out. I probably had taken most of my first 2-3 shifts pretty slowly, until then. Anyways, like you say, they'll probably figure something out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm having the same problem, as well as a belt/tensioner squeal and i bought mine under a week ago. Its up to 450 miles now and ive already made the appt to have it brought in on monday to have the dealer check it all out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts