Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everyone!

I just bought a new 2010 Forte SX & have a couple of questions.

First, the Service Manager was insistent on using only Kia oil filters, since using other brands may invalidate the warrantry! What's going on here?

Second, I do mostly 2/3 city, 1/3 highway driving. What type of gas mileage can I expect?

Third, the car is fully-equipped except it doesn't have an outside temp gauge, something I really miss! Anyone know of an after-market one that would work?

Thanks for all your help! I look forward to a long & pleasant relationship with my Kia and thid Forum!

Haydenks

2,213 Posts
First....that's b.s. He just wants you to get oil changes at the dealership to make money.
Second... With a/t figure 22 city, 28-30 highway
Third.... Only 2011 came with the temp gauge, but I think there's a company that makes an after market rearview mirror with the outside temp. But IMO, that's just a waste. Not going to spend $150 to worry about how cold it is outside when I can check the forecast on the tv or newspaper! Lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the forum. :)

I do all my own oil changes and I bought a half dozen Kia filters online. You're probably OK using an aftermarket filter as long as it is speced for this car. Keep all receipts for oil and filters if you're going to do your own changes.

Gas mileage is going to depend heavily on how heavy your foot is. I average 26 to 28 mpg in mixed driving. On my last road trip I got 33 overall. I isolated a portion of the trip to just hiway with very few lights and I got 38.2 mpg. All of these calculations are by hand; not the car's computer.

Can't speak to your outside temp question.

Edited to add: My car is an SX with 5 spd auto trans.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome, welcome!

I also have an a\t 2010 koup and I average 20-21 city, 28-29 highway. Roads in PA suck and its stop and go most of the time! And the kia dude also told me not to do my own oil changes, but you save a hell of alot more money when you do it yourself and it only takes 10 mins! But anyway good luck with your ride let us know if you start moding!

·
Registered
45 Posts
There was a Q&A in the Fall Kia Open Road magazine addressing oil changes and if they have to be done by the dealer....and they absolutley do NOT have to be done at the dealer and you don't even need to save your receipts if you do it yourself or go somewhere else.....but it can't hurt to hang on to them. Just follow the owners manual and you're in good shape!

·
Registered
139 Posts
um does the climate control on an sx not display outside temp? mine does...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would recommend that you let Kia do the oil changes. If you do it yourself and something goes wrong with your engine or you develop a leak you are giving them an opportunity to blame the oil/filter/problem on you. Another poster here on this forum went through that already. Why risk that? There is no savings in doing it yourself. [Isn't your time valuable too?] You have to buy the oil and the filter, take the time to lift your car up on ramps, drain the oil and then dispose of it, then clean yourself up. Spend the $25 bucks and let them do the dirty work. They can also do a spot check on your car while its up there and see if things look 'ok'. According to the manual it says on page 7-8 'Replace every 7,500 miles or every six months'. The old days of every 3 months are long gone...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I change my own oil, the dealer says that inst a issue as long as no sludge is found if engine problems develop. It really is a pretty simple thing to do, I just jack the car up with one jack, the oil change takes just a few min. I do use Kia oil filters and crush washers. Both cost me less than $10.00, then a gallon of Pennzoil dino oil.

I average 25 to 30mpg with mixed city and hwy driving, but here in Dallas we use a blended gas which probably drops MPG's a couple of points.

As for the outside temp, there are several options, I guess it just depends on how important that feature is too you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe this is exactly the same engine that is in my 2009 Sonata. You do not need to have the dealer change your oil although if they have specials such as my dealer offers at $19.95 it won't hurt. However, I have changed my own oil and filter using the WIX filter and NAPA oil 5w-20 and put it in myself. No problem. It's a piece of cake.

I have a 2011 5 door SX and compared alongside my 2009 Sonata, the engines appear to totally identical. I have not changed my oil in the Forte as it only has 800 miles on it but I don't anticipate any difficulty should I desire to do so.

I think it is a common misconception that the dealer needs to do this. So far as I know this is a lot of bulloney although it won't hurt to do this if the price is reasonable. Use your own best judgment and consult your owner's manual.

My SX has the outside temperature but not a compass to show direction. That's the only thing that it doesn't have that I wish it had.

Probably about 24 mpg overall would be around what to expect with the six speed transmission. I get about 28 on the highway at 75 mph. Slow down and break it in and it will probably go up to about 30 or so. I've gotten as high as 34 with my Sonata on long trips and it has a five speed and weighs more. I see no reason the Forte should get less. I have no issues with that yet. Some of the zoomy mileages posted are silly. You can get fabulous mileages on perfect roads at 55 mph consistently but that is just wishful thinking.

Additionally the rip-off of ethanol provides less energy content than pure gasoline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts