Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres the deal , i live in california , and i want to put as much performance parts as i can into my forte , but im worried about CARB numbers and weather or not its legal ? or pass smog

i have a CAI thats not CARB exempt , but that doesnt bother me because its easy to take in and out

but i want to install cat back , headers , turbo ect. and those arent so easy to just take out

any advice ? , anybody know any companys that have cali street legal catback ?

any feedback will be greatly appreciated thank you :eek:

2,213 Posts
Out of everything you said, the only thing that might effect smog is the cat. I would get in contact with tk.com and see if thier cat will pass Cali emissions. Other then that, a CAI, turbo, muffler, and headers (which you don't need if you get turbo) won't effect the cleaning of exhaust fumes, which a cat does.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Since the next time you'll have to take a smog test is in 3 years, I'd say just get your oem cat's flanges modified to accept a 2.25/2.5" or whatever diameter exhaust.

The idea is that you can just throw-in the modified oem cat when you go for emmisions, then just swap in the test-pipe or highflow cat when your done.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
In CA you gotta have a CARB exception for any after market part...

·
Registered
425 Posts
In CA you gotta have a CARB exception for any after market part...
Only for parts that are before the Cat though, so intake, headers, aftermarket cats, anything after the cat is legal. So you can get a catback exhaust and not worry, my wife had one on her car with no issues and that car did 2 smog tests like that. The intake on the Forte is super easy to swap so you will be OK as you have 5 years from sale date before you have to do your first smog test in CA.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Only for parts that are before the Cat though, so intake, headers, aftermarket cats, anything after the cat is legal. So you can get a catback exhaust and not worry, my wife had one on her car with no issues and that car did 2 smog tests like that. The intake on the Forte is super easy to swap so you will be OK as you have 5 years from sale date before you have to do your first smog test in CA.
Yes, forgot to mention that :p
I hear they're pretty strict on noise pollution too... make sure you have a muffler! :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts