Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nitrous setup sitting around from another car and i was wondering how the 2.4 does with nitrous. Im wanting anything crazy i was going to use a 50-75 wet shot. opinions?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ask Crock89
He can tell you what you want to hear!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
yeah i heard his blew up or something just wondering how high he went
I think he had a 150 shot, but that wasn't mainly the reason why his blew up. I think it was just a bad tune.

and i think i read somewhere that it was an early shift or something, but it was mainly the tune that messed it up

·
Registered
459 Posts
He never really gave an answer to what caused the problem, but I wouldn't say it was the tune. 150 Shot is way too much on a stock car.

I am pretty sure I read the tune advances timing, and with that much nitrous you don't want to advance the timing. So the question is was it the tune, no, it was using nitrous with the tune.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
To make the story short. 150 shot of nitrous weakend my internals. After heavy use i stopped using nitrous for about 2 months. Thats were i advance my timing i remember that day i was going to dyno with 50 shot of nitrous but i ran out of nitrous. Yes i hit 7800 rpm a couple times. Thats were my story began one day driving like normal shift to 2nd gear and jumped off the clutch to quick and my car stalled. :/

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
Nitrous will definitely give you more power...BUT...my experience with nitrous -- you will eventually break something: piston, clutch, headgasket, or axle. You just can't consistantly abuse a car and expect it to last a long time. Not designed for that.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Cant wait to get my internals done up. Thick headgasket and pistons... Oooo did i just said that :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I think if i stay in the 50-75 shot range i should be fine. Should get a piggyback to tune it or would monitoring it with a wideband be enough with that kind of shot.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am running a 55 wet shot and have been for a LONG time (about 8 bottles now). Oil still clean. no knock no ticks. A wide band would be very helpful. But it doesnt make the system fool proof. Anytime you put something like that on your car you are running the risk of damage. If you follow the "rules" of the internet pros. With 55 shot you can stay with stock tune and be fine. Anything higher and you have to start to retard the timing. I will say this though.... There are no Fittings to adapt the wet shot to our fuel system. And although it looks like we have rubber fuel line its not... its nylon so be prepared to do a few panic trial and error attemps to "t" your fuel line. once you cut it... your done. the only way to splice it back is to buy a 800 dollar kit or do in the parking lot of a pro who has the tools. putting nitros on this car is no easy task. Mine sat dead in the garrage for a week waiting on parts to connect it. I had to walk Crock through it over the phone and even that took a few days to get him up and runnning with no issues. So you have to ask yourself is it worth the headache for a few more HP.

All that being said it puts a smile on my face every time. And if you do decide to do it PM me and I will help you anyway i can. I can also take detailed pics of how i did it. I will be adding a bottle preasure gauge to my steering column soon too.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Did any of you guys run a step or two colder plug? Or just stuck it out with the regular spark plug?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I tried a pair of ZEX plugs but it turned out they were too short. So I did some research and found out our stock plugs are actually nitrous rated lol. believe it or not KIA actually did allot of tuner friendly things with this engine. Still its always good to pull them out and check to make sure there are not signs of damage. I am not recomending this mod to anyone unless you have the money to replace major engine parts if they break.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I tried a pair of ZEX plugs but it turned out they were too short. So I did some research and found out our stock plugs are actually nitrous rated lol. believe it or not KIA actually did allot of tuner friendly things with this engine. Still its always good to pull them out and check to make sure there are not signs of damage. I am not recomending this mod to anyone unless you have the money to replace major engine parts if they break.
What does "Nitrous Rated" mean?

I know our plugs are Denso Long Life double iridiums with a one off .55 iridium electrode (0.7mm being the norm). They are robust, but they are a 16 heat range making them one of Denso's hottest (the hottest?) plugs. The plugs were made especially for the Kia Theta II.

I wonder if a 20 or 22 would benefit you nitrous guys.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well when I called Denso i told them exactly what i was doing with it and they said that 1. they (at the time) didnt make a colder plug for our car but that the heat rating on that plug was rated to run in a car with nitrous. It was on the hotter side of the range but was fine to run with a low wet shot.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Wet shot.... 55-75

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im new to this forum but I've experience in running nitrous in my previous car. If the Kia is anything like my previous car I would start saving your pennies for a new clutch right off the bat because it'll be your clutch thats the first to go.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
clutch can actually hold up very well may i say just saying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts