Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2010 Forte Sedan SX for less than 1 year and less than 20000km on the clock.

Last week we had some really good weather so went for a drive when I hit the highway I turned on my AC and closed the windows. Air coming from the vents was warm I thought S&@# my AC is busted. Take my car in to the dealer and they tell me it's a stone had punctured the condenser and it's going to cost $840 for me to fix it.

I look at the 2011 Fortes and realize they changed the grills on all of them so the openings are smaller than the 2010s. I bet Kia realized they would have problems or is having problems on the 2010s and decided to change the grill.

All I know is this is the last time I buy a first model year Kia. Maybe even the last time I buy a Kia.

I'm going to provide the dealer with some wire mesh to tie to my grill to hopefully prevent this from happening again. I might even get the under engine cover to prevent other stuff from breaking.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
my koup is at the local kia dealer now :(
I was just telling my Girl friend the same thing about first year cars..
Not sure I want to buy another one either.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^
my koup is at the local kia dealer now :(
I was just telling my Girl friend the same thing about first year cars..
Not sure I want to buy another one either.
Is your AC broke too?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
Tebore...sorry you had this bad luck. I don't consider a rock hit a design flaw -- I've had a lot of vehicles with bigger grille openings and still have never had a rock punch a hole in any condensor. Just a stroke of bad luck on your part! You should check with your insurance company to see if the comprehensive coverage (act of god) will cover this damage!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Is your AC broke too?
No, I have a strange rattle when I first start my car.. every time I shift for the first 10 mins, I'm hopeful its something small but they've had the car over 35 hours and so far no news so I'm starting to worry :(

at least your ac issue is not some mystery noise or sqweak :)
Sorry about your luck on that one thou Hopefully your mesh screen will solve that problem ;)

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tebore...sorry you had this bad luck. I don't consider a rock hit a design flaw -- I've had a lot of vehicles with bigger grille openings and still have never had a rock punch a hole in any condensor. Just a stroke of bad luck on your part! You should check with your insurance company to see if the comprehensive coverage (act of god) will cover this damage!
You know what's funny. I would agree with you. But on the 2011 they changed the grill. Also I had a 15 year old Grand AM that still has a working AC. The grill and bumper design on the Grand Am allows for Air to enter but I realized it's never a direct path. There always a slight curve or the grill was a fixed louvered design. Finally GM learned something because we had a 1990 Oldsmobile that went through 5 Condensers and it has a similar style to the Forte which are big direct grill openings.

I wasn't unlucky, you were just very lucky with your cars with big openings. It's like going in to a warzone with no armor and saying the guy who took a bullet was unlucky.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've had my car 1 1/2 years.. pushing 40k and no problems with the Air Conditioner.. I'm going with ForteSX2.4 on this one. Law of attraction, hate mongers always have the worse experiences.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I noticed the lower grill larger mesh opening (same as some of my old vehicles) when I installed the grill with the finer mesh. The condenser has little to no bugs and rock dents compared to the area below with the larger mesh. I still haven't gotten around to wiring in a fine mesh screen for that area, luckily I don't drive that much. Prior to installing the grill I had pretty much the same amount of bugs and a couple of dents in both areas when I went to wash to car each time.
I never bothered putting in a screen on my older used vehicles since the radiators were already dinged up from the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Law of attraction, hate mongers always have the worse experiences.
I bet they do. However I just call shit like I sees it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never buy a first year car or first year or a fresh update of a vehicle. Thats a well known fact.

The rock is just bad luck. Got a buddy with a Acura RSX and just last year a rock hit the condenser and put a hole in it. Just bad luck but what can you do. It would be like getting mad at a car cause a deer ran out in front of you.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never buy a first year car or first year or a fresh update of a vehicle. Thats a well known fact.

The rock is just bad luck. Got a buddy with a Acura RSX and just last year a rock hit the condenser and put a hole in it. Just bad luck but what can you do. It would be like getting mad at a car cause a deer ran out in front of you.
Well this time I'm adding some precautions to prevent it from happening again. I got some gutter guard material and zip ties to put in behind my grills. Costs like $5. The material's already black and it's plastic so I don't need to paint it or worry about it damaging the stock grill by rubbing against it.

I would suggest Fortes that travel in gravel regions regularly take these precautions too.

I went a bit overboard and got the under engine cover too so now everything under the hood should be protected. In hind sight I probably should have gotten a clear bra to protect the hood too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.