Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just returned from a three week trip and my Car has been sitting in the garage the whole time. So the car is completely dead and I try to jump it. Everything turns on...radio...lights...AC but when I turn the key all I hear is a loud constant buzzing sound. No crank...no click....what could be wrong? I got it last nov and only has about 2000 miles on it. I'm having it towed to the dealership...just would like to have an idea before I go there....can't see them till tuesday

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you try to charge it at all or just jump it? When my battery in my old 89 ranger dies if I don't let it charge long enough and I try to start it that's all it will do. Same loud buzz coming from the speakers then try to crank it everything goes out and dim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I only tried jumping it. Should I just have someone run the engine for awhile? I don't think the buzzing came from the speakers...the radio was off?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Could the best thing to do is have the battery put on charge for a little while. Then try it again.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if the chargin doesn't work look at all of your fuses, including the multi fuse

·
Registered
218 Posts
Suggest putting a trickle charger on it for about three hours and it should start. If the battery is completely dead this is normally what you will experience. I left the parking lights on by accident and overnight it completely drained the battery. When I jumped it it wouldn't start; only the clicking sound. A couple of hours on the trickle charger allowed it to start and then normal driving brought it back up to par. However, I do not believe it is a good idea to totally discharge a battery.

I'd want to make sure that there isn't a slow drain on the battery that caused your problem. Offhand I don't know if letting it sit idle for three weeks would result in this effect although it might.

A 6 amp trickle charger can probably be bought for about $30 or so. Good idea to keep one on hand "just in case."

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
Don't know where you're located...if you can take the battery out and get the battery to an Autozone they can check it for free. If it's bad you could buy a new one and try to get the dealership to reimburse you -- or -- if it just needs a charge they can let you know. This would be the fastest way to get back on the road again -- but without using your warranty since it's Sunday.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I've had the same exact issue a month after i got my Koup, but it happened over a 2 hour period, not 6 weeks.

Here's what my problem was:

Cold weather + bumps loosened the negative battery post (which i doubt the factory really tightened it)

I think one of my HID harnesses shorted out. (not sure though).

I took out the bad harness, tightened the negative connection and it was perfect. the negative connection was still making contact, just not enough. once all that was done, i jump started it, and drove it for 15 minutes and it's been good (knock on wood)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I only tried jumping it. Should I just have someone run the engine for awhile? I don't think the buzzing came from the speakers...the radio was off?
Doesn't matter, the radio was off in my truck too and the buzz still came through them. My guess is you have a dead battery. Charge it up and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Three weeks seems like a long time for a battery to hold charge without being started - I'd probably disconnect it before going but does anyone know if that would cause a reset of the ECM?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts