Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,798 Posts
Snorkel removed with the stock filter? An aftermarket performance filter should have more airflow than the stock. Unless you are removing the intake tubing at the engine mount area meaning no filter at all. Not sure what you mean by snorkel removed. Any pics of it?

· Registered
486 Posts
this test confirms my belief to leave the "snorkle" part of the factory air setup in place when I added my SR intake. My thought being it would bring in fresh cool air into the engine bay right by the SR intake and create that positive preasure theory that Soar posted about earlier. Of course this will all be replaced when I put in the CAI.

· Registered
348 Posts
My testing was done with a K&N filter in place of the factory one. Say what you will about them but the fact is that for the purpose of this test, it made no difference what filter I used, as long as it was consistent.

While the car is in motion, the majority of the air in the engine area enters through the radiator, where it has picked up some of the heat. So quite simply, if you feel the gains from a 'free flow' filter solution for your tiny little stock engine is going to counter the loss from increasing the temp, then go ahead and do your thing. If you want to salvage and scavenge every last available horsepower from your stock engine... then do whatever else you can, and leave the snorkel and factory cold air intake alone until you can install a better, cooler system.

So who's going to heat wrap their factory intake first? Drop the intake air temp to as close as ambient as possible, and gain 2% you'll never get any other way...

· Registered
486 Posts
Hmm turbo kits should offer a wrapped version of thier intake then. What you think KiaTech?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.