Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 2010 2.4L Forte. 231K miles.

It has a noise that is driving me crazy. It definitely increases/decreases with speed, so I thought it was a wheel bearing. It doesn't really become audible until 25mph, and then it sounds like an electric shaver. I checked all the wheel bearings and they seem fine. Had a mechanic check them also.

Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
489 Posts
You're gonna need to be a bit more specific... which general direction is the sound coming from?

Have you revved the engine in neutral to rule out any tranny/engine related issues?

Can you get a video of the sound?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Does the sound change if you downshift or upshift the transmission? Does the sound change with the speed of the AC/heater blower motor fan speed? Is it louder or quieter with the windows opened or closed? Does the sound change when in a turn? Is the radio on or off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't tell which direction it is coming from - seems to be from the front of the car but I'm not 100% positive. It is not engine/tranny related, as it increases/decreases linearly with speed. It is a low thrum between 10 and 25mph (increasing in pitch/frequency), then it becomes a sound like an electric shaver in a metal bowl up to about 50mph, at which point the frequency is high enough that I can't distinguish it from tire/road/wind noise.

Have you revved the engine in neutral to rule out any tranny/engine related issues? Yes
Does the sound change if you downshift or upshift the transmission? No.
Does the sound change with the speed of the AC/heater blower motor fan speed? No.
Is it louder or quieter with the windows opened or closed? Same
Does the sound change when in a turn? Not that I can tell.
Is the radio on or off? Off
The belt, a pulley? It is only correlated to vehicle speed.

I don't know if it will show up on a video.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I appreciate it. Reason I posted was because I thought it might be an issue that other people have had. I will try to capture it on sound/video and do a few more tests.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Concentrate on the sound. If you can get a "car-guy" friend to drive along to listen out the window it could help! If it is a wheel bearing it should also change tone in a turn.

Might be time to drop the wheels and take a hard look at the brakes too!!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do. I just had all 4 brake pads replaced, and the sound is the same as before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: There is too much road and tire noise to get a good sound recording of the noise. I had a passenger ride with me and she believes it is coming from the front left of the car.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Not much more to go on. Sound has a way of echoing in such a way as making you think it's someplace else.

You might want to jack up the front left of the car, car in neutral, remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper (to eliminate the brake rubbing noise), and turn the axle to determine if the wheel bearing is the culprit. The problem with this method is your statement: "It doesn't really become audible until 25mph" - a slow turn by hand may not create noise. I have reservations of it being a front wheel bearing because typically you would get a vibration and sensation in the steering wheel.

Might be time to see a professional.

Let us know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've jacked it up and spun the wheels but as you said, at low speed there is no noise. My mechanic couldn't figure it out either. May have to wait for it to get worse in order to diagnose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some more information - the previous owner replaced the left front wheel bearing and CV axle. I'm guessing that they heard the same noise. Knowing that the bearing is not the culprit, I'm starting to wonder if it is coming from the output shaft of the tranny. Is there anything between that and the wheel that might be causing the noise?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts