Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If that is the case, would I have to replace the AT? I'm not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Most tranny shops replace the tranny instead of rebuilding them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How long do you think I can drive it like this? The noise isn't particularly loud, but it is noticeable.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
IF it is a differential bearing keep an eye on your tranny fluid. Smell the fluid. If it smells burnt then the bearing could be creating heat.
If the fluid smells normal then you may be able to drive your car with no problem, except for the noise.
Just to be sure/safe have a technician check it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update: Stopped by a couple of transmission shops, which said that they needed to have the car for half a day, scheduled beforehand, in order to diagnose. My personal mechanic had a look and used a stethescope to listen while the wheels were turning. He said it's coming from inside the transmission.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Update: Stopped by a couple of transmission shops, which said that they needed to have the car for half a day, scheduled beforehand, in order to diagnose. My personal mechanic had a look and used a stethescope to listen while the wheels were turning. He said it's coming from inside the transmission.
Do you plan on replacing the tranny?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, I'd still like the get a tranny shop's opinion. If they say it needs to be replaced, I might ask a cheap shop how much they would charge for labor to swap out a used one. Looks like you can get them, shipped, for 500 bucks:

If I can't get it done for less than 1K, I might just drive it until it gives out. If I can keep the heat down (no super long trips), it may last some time.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Should I change the tranny fluid?
You stated that the car has 231K miles - do you know when the fluid was changed last? What is the condition of the fluid? How does it smell? Does it feel right? Check it against new fluid. Changing the fluid will not make the noise go away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I asked the previous owner (when I was buying the car) if they knew when it was changed last and they said they didn't know. Probably 150K miles ago, is my guess. The fluid is brown (not black), but the dipstick has a flew black specs on the edge when you pull it out.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Tough call. The tranny's working, brown is acceptable as long as it doesn't smell burnt and if you rub the fluid between your fingers and it still feels like oil should. Instead of a complete drain and refill (which is NOT easy on these cars) you could just drain the 3 quarts you are able to with the drain plug and put in 3 new quarts to freshen up the fluid. Use 3 quarts of Tranny fluid from a Kia dealer. With all the miles you have on this car now I would hesitate doing a complete flush/change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah I wouldn't do a flush for sure. It is a tough call. Will have to think on it. Like you said, it works/shifts flawlessly.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts