Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out yesterday that the Koup which I supposedly purchased brand new had body damage and was repaired before it was sold to me without my knowledge. If any of you saw my earlier thread, I was concerned about my passenger side door gap between the body and door not being even. It was wide at the top and narrowed going toward the bottom where it almost touched! Anyway, I finally got an appt at an independent body shop that the dealer uses to do body work. I thought it would be a minor door adjustment... Come to find out the car had been damaged and repaired! I bought the car just a month ago with 18 miles on it. This wasn't any minor damage either, body shop guy showed me evidence of spot welding, paint taping lines and all kinds of other telltale signs. He knows for sure that at least the whole passenger side rear quarter and rocker panel about halfway up the door has been worked on if not replaced.

Dealer already got several emails and phone calls from me. I took it to my body shop guy and he confirmed the same. I told them I want a replacement vehicle so hopefully they'll do the right thing and get me one. We'll see... To be continued.
:mad:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can't believe i just read that. What a bunch of crooks. I was lucky enough to watch my car come off the truck on a wednesday and i drove off in it on friday....with drive-bys to the dealership daily to check up on my baby. It had 8KM on it when i took it home. The PDI said 20 because the techs are supposed to take it for a run before delivery but they weren't feeling up to it that day....i didn't mind.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like an issue to take with KIA corporate. Somebody didn't disclose the proper information, and either KIA or the dealership should give some sort of compensation for the damages.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,891 Posts
If they sold the car to you under the pretense that it was a new car and don't do the "right thing" I believe you have good grounds for a lawsuit. Finding a lawyer to take the case will be the tricky thing...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to the General Manager of the stealership today. I have a meeting with the owner and general manager and sales guy at 3PM. So far things have been civil. I want to show them the car and how obvious it is that it has been repaired.

I told them I will accept nothing less than a replacement vehicle and they haven't refused so we will see what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tell them that if they don't meet your demands then you are going to report them with the attorney general, this will usually scare them, if they don't care, then call the media.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wow! I'm pissed and its not even my car,
yeah I'd take it up with the dealer first.. as you already called them then kia..
and yes if they don't give you a new car or some serious money back I'd take it too court!
What a bunch of thieves!
hope they do the right thing as you said...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sometimes the dealership has no idea that such a thing has happened to the car, cars are often swapped between dealerships when different types of cars are selling better in different areas. So be careful before you jump down their throats because if they get that impression then their intent to help you may quickly diminish. You would also not get very far in court (at least trying to claim Lemon Law) because what you describe doesn't substantially impair use, value, or safety (you'd have a hard time proving value). My advice is to be civilized, keeping the lawsuit threats out, until you find out what exactly they're willing to do.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Fraud can be a civil or criminal cause of action. However, individuals can not bring a criminal case against someone.

If there were major previous repairs then this is a pretty clear cut case of fraudulent misrepresentation on someone's part. I would not settle for anything less than a brand new car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What a f*cking bad story !!!

personally, i'd go with kjinxx2 advice. Keep coolness and see what they have to say...

And... for others... the cars could be totalled and still be new with 0 km if everithing happened in the dealer place....

We don't know what happened to the car... we do know that something happened, but what ?

Keep us updated with it MtnGoat

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've seen car's have their roof's ripped off on their way off the transport truck because of a stupid driver. The dealership can repair the car and still sell it as new.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If things have been civil as you stated try to keep it that way. I know you are mad about it but getting it settled is the most important part. Stand your ground and hopefully you will get a new 2011 maybe with a few extra options to maintain good customer relations.

I sure hope to be reading that you have a new car and are all happy again.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Oooooohh BUSTED!

Be calm and professional. Get all of the information you can before making a decision. Americans are so apt to be litigation-happy until they have to weigh whether it's worth going to court. Most of the time these situations are resolved before getting blown out of proportion.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I've seen car's have their roof's ripped off on their way off the transport truck because of a stupid driver. The dealership can repair the car and still sell it as new.
This is really just semantics.

Sure the majority of the car is still "new" but there is a general understanding that a "new car" is a brand new undamaged car; not just one that has not been previously owned. Its the same understanding that gets you a discount on a dented can of beans or a shirt that was sewn a little crooked. Generally one does not pay full retail for something that is not of the quality that the manufacturer intended.

If you go to a car lot with the intention to buy a new car and the sales guy doesn't disclose to you this kind of damage its misrepresentation. Misrepresentation can be passive; not saying what needs to be said qualifies.

I'm all for dealerships selling cars they mess up. They just need to be up front about it and price it like they would a demo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yard Damage

I found out yesterday that the Koup which I supposedly purchased brand new had body damage and was repaired before it was sold to me without my knowledge. If any of you saw my earlier thread, I was concerned about my passenger side door gap between the body and door not being even. It was wide at the top and narrowed going toward the bottom where it almost touched! Anyway, I finally got an appt at an independent body shop that the dealer uses to do body work. I thought it would be a minor door adjustment... Come to find out the car had been damaged and repaired! I bought the car just a month ago with 18 miles on it. This wasn't any minor damage either, body shop guy showed me evidence of spot welding, paint taping lines and all kinds of other telltale signs. He knows for sure that at least the whole passenger side rear quarter and rocker panel about halfway up the door has been worked on if not replaced.

Dealer already got several emails and phone calls from me. I took it to my body shop guy and he confirmed the same. I told them I want a replacement vehicle so hopefully they'll do the right thing and get me one. We'll see... To be continued.
:mad:
First let me say that the situation sucks and sorry to hear about it... FYI I have ex room mate who used to be long shore man driving autos and trucks off freighters and loading trains for shipping and VS. He told me so many stories of guys reversing autos down 15 car trains to the only to hit a wall and trash the side of a car. One even got twisted sideways on the train and they had to tear it out with a semi and a cable to continue unloading. He said that 1 a week was got major damage and at-least 1 every 2 months would get written off.

I guess in your case you got one damaged in a similar situation. There is a chance the dealer had no idea as the docks may have repaired it prior to delivery.

Cheers and good luck maybe you'll get a new car for Christmas!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts