Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Kia Forte5 SX. Its fully loaded, leather, heated steering wheel, power fold in mirrors, all 4 seats heated and drivers seat ventilated, UVO connect etc. I bought it with 1500 miles on it. Ive put 97k on it myself for a total of 98,500. Ive never had an issue with it, and had the oil changed every 5k miles at the dealer, with the exception of the past 2, where ive taken it to Take5 because the dealer was booked for several days out on an oil change

Around a week ago, it started skipping on occasion. The engine light came on, and the code read random cylinder misfire, and permanent cylinder 4 misfire. I replaced the spark plugs, (used autolite plugs, as Autozone didnt have NGK, and assured me they were OEM), but the issue continued. I had no check engine light and the problem seemed like it was fixed. After the repair, i noticed the temperature gauge creeping up a bit, and a slight loss of power mainly under heavy acceleration. I took it in for service, and the dealer told me i needed NGK plugs, a coil pack, and a radiator cap. I installed the coil, plugs, and cap. It continued to run hot, but would cool off when moving. I thought it was the fan, but it wasn't as i could hear the fan run, even after i shut the car off. When i was sitting still and holding the engine at 3.5k the temp went down to normal, so i figured it's a circulation problem. I brought it into another garage, and they said the coolant was low, refilled it, and it ran great for 2 days.

Today I was on the interstate, and i noticed the temp creeping up again. As I was pulling over, it lost power and stalled. I couldnt get it restarted (i waited 30 minutes and tried again) It started, but ran super rough and had a big plume of white smoke out of the right hand side exhaust pipe. Sounds like the head gasket. UGH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For some reason, my password is no longer any good, so I had to create a new user name, hence the reason this shows as my first post.

I have the same car and I have about 112,000 miles on it. I haven't had any cooling issues, but before I bought this car, I had a BMW 5 series that I bought used that did have cooling issues. The head had warped and allowed exhaust gas into the coolant. The coolant was never low, but always seemed to have air in the system. The solution was a rebuilt head and head gasket. 3 of the threads in the block were stripped from the stress from the bolt when it overheated, so I had to I had to put in helicoils. It ran great after that.

Do you have any codes at this point? While this could be a head gasket issue, you will want to do some more research before ripping apart the engine. Are you low on coolant again? Is the system still pressurized after it has cooled down (sign there is exhaust gas in the coolant)? My BMW was diagnosed by putting a camera into the cylinders and taking a look. There may be other ways the coolant is getting into the engine besides the head gasket, check into that possibility.

Good luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you checked the thermostat? Squeeze your radiator hoses. If it's sucked in/collapsed & s l o w l y returns to normal OR at every squeeze & pump on the radiator hoses & you hear a rattling (pencil eraser inside a can/plastic 20oz) at the thermostat housing replace with a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, according to Kia, it was fine. The tepmerature gauge rose again, so i brought it to a trusted local mechanic, who immediately noticed it was low on coolant. he refilled it, and send me on my way. i didnt have any other issues. I drove it about 200 more miles the temp shot up on the interstate and by the time i could get onto the shoulder, the damn head gasket blew. $3500 repair at the dealer. I took it elsewhere because i believe the dealer misdiagnosed the problem in the 1st place. If they would have diagnosed and fixed the faulty XXXXX properly it wouldnt have blown the head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had a very similar issue on my 2010 2.0l forte... i kept having to bring it in to the dealership only a couple months after i bought it due to overheating issues... turned out to be one of the radiator nipples had cracked (can't remember which one) and that was causing a loss of pressure and coolant leading to the overheating issue... if i remember correctly i had to bring it in like 3 separate times over the course of a month to the same damn place before they finally really looked into it and found the issue...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts