Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This isn't your normal rattling noise thread where I have no clue what it is and come here to see if anyone has any ideas. See, this time, I know exactly what the rattling is coming from (after debunking it yesterday after work for about an hour).

When I go over a little rough road patch, my passenger side seat shakes and causes the annoying rattling. And it's deceiving because it usually sounds like it's coming from the door panel, or the dashboard. But it is definitely the chair. How do I know this? When I hold the chair (got this tip from someone here who said they hugged it like their significant other LOL), the noise stops.

I've searched the forum for a while, but never received a straight answer to the question because it seems Forte drivers are confusing different rattling noises to be the same thing.

Now, let me summarize this for you all:

· My car is brand new and has only 600 miles on it.
· The ride and engine noise is still great.
· All other interior features are working to perfection (Radio, Bluetooth, iPod Connection, Etc.)
· My passenger side seat shakes and causes this rattling noise when driving.
· When I hold the seat (like I would my significant other :D) the noise stops.
· How the hell can I stop this shaking of my passenger seat?

*Also: My driver’s seat makes a really annoying springy noise when I move back and forth.

So please, discuss, offer suggestions, insert jokes, and help me solve this annoyance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
stick a big teddy bear in the passenger seat lol no umm check and make sure everything is bolted down tight mayb through sum wd40 on the rails and shit try and really pinpoint where its commin from mayb something is loose dont knwo if this will help but goodluck

·
Registered
407 Posts
Take it into the dealer, this is a known issue, with the seats.

·
Registered
511 Posts
After I have a passenger in the seat (typically my wife, 130 lbs) and they get out, then the seat rattles over rough spots. Sort of a higher pitched rattle combined with a squeak. But after a short period it stops doing it and I don't notice it until I give someone a ride again.

When it is in 'rattle mode' If I swing my arm and give the seat back a belt it will rattle, but if it is not in 'rattle mode' and I hit it, it won't. Beats me!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol @ tattoo

@blackwatch - What more do you know about the issue? Is there a quick fix?

@lleader - I haven't notice but maybe the position in which the seat is in matters.

I think it because of the plastic backs on the chair and they're are rubbing against something.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Try adjusting the seat (the up or down). It works for me whenever I hear that rattle. Or you could just turn your volume knob up to 24. That helps too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I still havent figured my noise out. It appears to be coming from the back of the car, but I have tried lowering/raising the headrests and I have made sure those clips for baby seats are properly closed. It sounds like a vibrating plasticy kind of rattle but for the life of me cant figure it out.

·
Registered
973 Posts
mine does it sometimes too, along with the typical seatbelt knocking around noise
i just ignore it for the most part lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I still havent figured my noise out. It appears to be coming from the back of the car, but I have tried lowering/raising the headrests and I have made sure those clips for baby seats are properly closed. It sounds like a vibrating plasticy kind of rattle but for the life of me cant figure it out.
Get someone to sit in the back and try and locate the noise while you are driving. Or have someone else drive (I know its an absurd notion to have someone else drive) while you locate the noise in the back seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had that same rattle coming from the back. I pinpointed it to the rear deck behind the back seats. I was able to solve my problem by jamming a small piece of black fabric between the back glass and the rear deck stoplight housing. It made it about eighty percent better.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
silly idea-
what do you have rolling around in your trunk?

i never realized how little sound protection btwn the inside of the trunk to the inside of the car that there is- until i went to pep boys and bought "make my car shiney stuff- and if you buy 25 dollars worth we will give you a 5 gallon bucket"........
i made hard turn w/that bucket in the trunk- about died- thinking something had broken in the car-
which was followed up by hard braking- which set off a second my god...

i've never driven a car before (even my 78 honda accord hatchback) in which so much noise from the back end got sent right up to the front end.

this is not a car you will ever want to club someone on the head then drive to the desert with......halfway there- when they regain conc....you will hear every breath and attempt to escape they make.......

but seriously-
spare tire squeak? spare tire cover squeak?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same issue with my passenger seat squeaking when it was unoccupied. Here is what I did to fix it after trying siliconne spray etc. Try loosening the 14mm bolts that attach the seat to the floor and let the seat rails relax. I only had to loosen the bolt closest to the door and I heard it sort of pop like it was under tension. Squeaks and rattles are gone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same issue with my passenger seat squeaking when it was unoccupied. Here is what I did to fix it after trying siliconne spray etc. Try loosening the 14mm bolts that attach the seat to the floor and let the seat rails relax. I only had to loosen the bolt closest to the door and I heard it sort of pop like it was under tension. Squeaks and rattles are gone!

Thanks Tom I'm going to try this. Where in South Jersey are you?

I'm in Matawan and work in Priceton.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in Vineland and work in Cranbury...144 miles round trip everyday!

Don't forget to retighten the bolt(s)!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey!

I just had the dealership replace the whole 'seat track' thing (the part where where the seat slides forward/back & where the seat bolts to the car). The rattle in my case came from the track itself. Dealer had to remove whole seat and replace the slider seat track.

Issue resolved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get someone to sit in the back and try and locate the noise while you are driving. Or have someone else drive (I know its an absurd notion to have someone else drive) while you locate the noise in the back seat.
I was driving with a few people and had them place pressure on the plastic behind the back seats and it does seem to be the issue. I will have to bring it up with the dealer see if they can do anything, failing that I guess I will have to try something similar to what you did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you!

I've only had my new Forte three days, and the front passenger squeaked more than a mouse in heat! I removed that front rail bolt on the door side, and used a q-tip to apply some multipurpose grease. Put it back and the squeak is gone. THANK YOU!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.