Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A strange glitch has developed on my '22 Forte LXS.

About every 20th start the starter is very weak to engage, almost as it has only 30 percent of its electrical power. It barely turns the starter motor over. I have to push the accelerator a little for the car to start. Next start everything is strong and normal again.

Have an appt withe the Kia dealer next week. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,230 Posts
A strange glitch has developed on my '22 Forte LXS.

About every 20th start the starter is very weak to engage, almost as it has only 30 percent of its electrical power. It barely turns the starter motor over. I have to push the accelerator a little for the car to start. Next start everything is strong and normal again.

Have an appt withe the Kia dealer next week. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks.
Never happened to me. Let us know what the fix is!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
6,134 Posts
Do you make a lot of SHORT trips every day - start and stop the engine often?
Battery could be defective or just low.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you make a lot of SHORT trips every day - start and stop the engine often?
Battery could be defective or just low.
Generally, my trips are five to seven miles, at least some of the way on a rural highway. I seem to remember having a battery with a dead cell, so maybe a defective battery could be it. But at eight months and less than 5,000 miles I would hope a vettery would last longer.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
6,134 Posts
Generally, my trips are five to seven miles, at least some of the way on a rural highway. I seem to remember having a battery with a dead cell, so maybe a defective battery could be it. But at eight months and less than 5,000 miles I would hope a vettery would last longer.
We'll see when the dealer gets a look. Sometimes you get "lucky" and your battery goes bad...LOL!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on my problem.

Went to the Kia dealership today and they suggested that they start the car over and over again until it breaks. I politely told them that this process would overheat the starter, alternator and related wiring. The service writer said I shouldn't worry, everything is under warranty. I guess he doesn't drive in rural Missouri like I do where there isn't any cell phone coverage.

They did check the alternator and battery, which are okay. They did not perform a scan, saying the instrument panel trouble light would illuminate if there was a code. As I understand it, the trouble light comes on with a persistent code, which my intermittent problem may not trigger.

So, I drove away disappointed. This is the first time in 25 years that a dealership didn't accurately identify and fix a problem. Won't be back there when it is time to buy a new car. The Honda store is up the street.

So, I'll drop by an AutoZone or O'Reilly and have them scan for codes. Then, next time I'm back in Kansas City I'll drop by the dealership there and see what they think.

I made an appointment almost a month ago for this visit. In and out in 15 minutes. They are super busy, not for the lack of service bays but technicians to work in them. A harbinger of things to come?

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,230 Posts
Update on my problem.

Went to the Kia dealership today and they suggested that they start the car over and over again until it breaks. I politely told them that this process would overheat the starter, alternator and related wiring. The service writer said I shouldn't worry, everything is under warranty. I guess he doesn't drive in rural Missouri like I do where there isn't any cell phone coverage.

They did check the alternator and battery, which are okay. They did not perform a scan, saying the instrument panel trouble light would illuminate if there was a code. As I understand it, the trouble light comes on with a persistent code, which my intermittent problem may not trigger.

So, I drove away disappointed. This is the first time in 25 years that a dealership didn't accurately identify and fix a problem. Won't be back there when it is time to buy a new car. The Honda store is up the street.

So, I'll drop by an AutoZone or O'Reilly and have them scan for codes. Then, next time I'm back in Kansas City I'll drop by the dealership there and see what they think.

I made an appointment almost a month ago for this visit. In and out in 15 minutes. They are super busy, not for the lack of service bays but technicians to work in them. A harbinger of things to come?
Bummer. Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing or didn't want to deal with it.
Bring it to a different dealership that actually cares. Hope you have better luck in Kansas City. Keep us updated

Reactions: tc0566

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2 Steel Grey
432 Posts
Bummer. Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing or didn't want to deal with it.
Bring it to a different dealership that actually cares. Hope you have better luck in Kansas City. Keep us updated
I agree.. no idea. But if we break something we can get Kia to pay us to fix it:unsure:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree.. no idea. But if we break something we can get Kia to pay us to fix it:unsure:
Your point is accurate but with a slight twist. They were obviously overwhelmed and saw my situation as any easy one to move out fast.

In dealing with Hyundai, Volkswagen and Kia dealerships throughout the state, all take almost a month for an appointment.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,230 Posts
Your point is accurate but with a slight twist. They were obviously overwhelmed and saw my situation as any easy one to move out fast.

In dealing with Hyundai, Volkswagen and Kia dealerships throughout the state, all take almost a month for an appointment.
This is why I always loved the Volvo dealer experience. Go in, sit in some comfy Scandanavian furniture, get some free coffee, the techs know what they're doing, and usually the people that work there are super passionate about the brand so I always ended up chatting them up about their current project cars or whatever while I waited for my car to be done (usually just software updates I couldn't do myself). Going to Kia, it feels like everyone likes their job way less.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2 Steel Grey
432 Posts

I'm seeing the same thing just for an oil change. At least here in Akron there are plenty to choose from. I only use them for an oil change because I'm a retired mechanic and I'm done working on cars, plus no worries with warrantee that way.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the concern. The Kia dealership service department in North Kansas City is really trying to win the Kia President's Award. Bet my car will be in their service bay longer than 15 minutes

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My old Hyundai family-owned dealership in Kansas City North was the best in the city because they hired the best people. Their techs were well paid, had profit sharing agreements, and a retirement plan. Technicians from the other dealerships stepped up their game to have a chance to join this crew. Where technicians last only a few years at other dealerships, at this Hyundai dealership you would find people who have worked there 10 or 15 years.

The same thing happened at the Ford dealership in Columbia, Mo. where I live now. They wouldn't let a customer drive away without the car being fixed.

This new Kia dealership of mine is owned by a national mega dealership chain. I guess when you sell every car allocated to you and there is a waiting list for your service you don't need to be customer oriented.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts