Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the kia forte sx 6 speed and have about 1700 miles on it. recently i have noticed that when going over bumps on the road there is a clunky sound coming from the front. not sure if something is loose anywhere in the engine or what. i have checked all over the car and cant seem to find exactly where it is coming from.

are my ears just overly sensitive to the sound or is any one else having a problem with a odd noise happening when driving over bumps on the road? usually happens when i hit a pot hole that i cant swarve to around or part of the road that is lifted up.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I would put it up on (low profile) ramps and get under your car and look around. I did this yesterday just to see how oil changes would go. The oil filter is easily accessible btw. And since you said you've hit some pot holes, I would check the side of the car you hit them with. Or just push down on the 4 corners of the car and see if you hear anything in regards to shocks and struts.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you really think you have a noise that is out-of-the-ordinary make a call to your service department, make an appointment that is convenient to you, and have them take a look at your suspension.

·
Registered
348 Posts
A few of the SX's I have taken for PDI drives have had a really bad hammering in the top of the struts. I fully expect there to be a TSB out soon about them, with an updated part (usually is the bearing). A LOT of Rondos out there have the same thing, with that eventual result. My car is also doing it, but only from the left side so I am eagerly awaiting the results.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Mine does it on both side for 3-4 week now. Dealer is waiting for parts and will change it.......... no question ask!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had 1 in the shop so far with a front suspension noise ( number 2 with 300 k's ) is waiting for me for tomorrow morning . Seems to be cold weather related . Upper strut mounts or sway bar bushings ?? Not sure , Will keep posted .

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Dealer change both right and left top plate of my SX monday.
Problem solve, no question ask, cost 0$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Talked to Kia in mississiauga today was told to urethane( glue) strut inner dust shields to top of strut mount till a new upper strut plate comes out for a temp fix !

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Talked to Kia in mississiauga today was told to urethane( glue) strut inner dust shields to top of strut mount till a new upper strut plate comes out for a temp fix !
Was told to crank the radio!!! cheaper!!! You'll learn to live with the noise, I did for over a mounth, but when they'll fix it, you'll have a :D on your face!

·
Registered
283 Posts
i had that problem too,resolved in the same mode with the front plates changed...but still have it after service ...this time was the left side cardan who was gone out from the gearbox,(bad machining of it they said)changed and no sound now and more firmly on driving,so if you stil have the sound check the oil on gearbox or under the car
hope helpfully

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This is an old thread, but I have the same issue. Clunking noises from the front suspension. It's been there for about a year and I tried the dust boot fix, but it didn't help at all. For people with this issue, did the new upper strut mounts fix the noise? I have over 60k miles on mine, so I will be doing it myself. I did not find a TSB for this on Kiatech.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
This is an old thread, but I have the same issue. Clunking noises from the front suspension. It's been there for about a year and I tried the dust boot fix, but it didn't help at all. For people with this issue, did the new upper strut mounts fix the noise? I have over 60k miles on mine, so I will be doing it myself. I did not find a TSB for this on Kiatech.
Is your car lowered? Can you describe the noise (squeaky, metal on metal clunk, rusty door hinge sound...)?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I had a popping noise ( could b interpreted as a clunk) in the front fixed by sway bar replaced.

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would also like to know Walpole if your car was lowered at the time. My car has been making a clunking sound up front for a long while when going over bumps and such. It gets quite annoying after a while.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My car is not lowered, all stock except for the UR lower rear stiffener bar. The sound is not metallic, more of a soft clunking noise. Only at speeds lower than about 25 mph and over small bumps. Seems to do it no matter what the temperature. Sway bar bushing are another possibility. I'm checking the ball joints and bushings this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
My car is not lowered, all stock except for the UR lower rear stiffener bar. The sound is not metallic, more of a soft clunking noise. Only at speeds lower than about 25 mph and over small bumps. Seems to do it no matter what the temperature. Sway bar bushing are another possibility. I'm checking the ball joints and bushings this weekend.
This is a good video for diagnosing suspension noises...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I checked ball joints and sway bar bushings. All appear good. I am strongly suspecting the strut mounts. I need to see if I can recreate the sound while the car is in the garage. The parts look to be about $100 total, so not a big deal. I think they must have been defective, since I've had the noise for a while.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
My popping chunking returned after less then a yr with new sway bar, dealership trip next week. Maybe sway bars aren't built as tough as they should be in Canada lol

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've been having this clunking sound coming from the bottom of the steering column i believe. has anyone experienced this problem? thanks

1 - 20 of 68 Posts