Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to dinner last night to meet up with my parents, and when I got out of the car my Dad told me my break light on my spoiler wasn't working! So I let him get in and turn the car on, and step on the break yet nothing happened.(Had to see it for myself lol) So now I'm not sure what to do. Should I just try to trouble shoot it myself, or not mess with it and go ahead and take it to KIA?

Has anyone had this problem before? Suggestions please! lol

Also will they give me shit at the dealership about my warranty since I have done a lot of mods to my car? I haven't done anything to the break lights, so idk why they would! Was just wondering lol

Thanks any and all help, Ben

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
my buddy had the same issue, it was a blown fuse.

did it ever work? if not, they might have just forgot to wire it

·
Registered
16 Posts
I take it you don't like electrical? First and most obvious thing would be to check the fuse. Second is to get a volt meter and make sure your wiring is supplying power to the light. Since I'm still new here, assuming the spoiler light is led, did you ever notice any of them to go out? I could simply be that the led strip has gone out.

Have you changed out any of the bulbs in your car to led (trunk license plate, etc)?

Sent from my Infuse Autoguide app

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm at work so I haven't had the time to trouble shoot anything yet, or I already would have. I actually love working on car's and do all of my own work to my car, but the fact that it's under warranty and some dealerships are complete dicks if they've seen your already tried to fix the problem before taking it to them kind of kept me from trying anything. I'll check the fuse in a few when I'm on my lunch break, and if that's not it I'll take out the trunk carpeting to see what the deal is tonight when I get off. I'll let you know what I find out, and thanks a lot for the help, and suggestions guys!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'm stuck... Which fuse would it be! lol

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Check the 15A fuse labeled "STOP LP". I would expect that the tail light brake lights would not work though if the fuse was blown because the STOP LP fuse is sized large enough that it could be the fuse for all brake lights. That's just an assumption with no research on my end.

I just took out my rear deck cover and noticed that Kia did a hack job rewiring for the spoiler brake light. Basically, they put a pigtail into the connector for the rear window brake light and then used wire connectors to connect to the spoiler brake light wires. So if it's not the fuse, that part of the wiring could be the issue. Does your rear window brake light work? If it does, it would probably mean that the spoiler brake light was never wired up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the 15A fuse labeled "STOP LP". I would expect that the tail light brake lights would not work though if the fuse was blown because the STOP LP fuse is sized large enough that it could be the fuse for all brake lights. That's just an assumption with no research on my end.

I just took out my rear deck cover and noticed that Kia did a hack job rewiring for the spoiler brake light. Basically, they put a pigtail into the connector for the rear window brake light and then used wire connectors to connect to the spoiler brake light wires. So if it's not the fuse, that part of the wiring could be the issue. Does your rear window brake light work? If it does, it would probably mean that the spoiler brake light was never wired up.
I actually noticed that neither the rear window or spoiler brake light work. So I guess I'll try that fuse and let you know how it goes! Thanks a lot for the suggestion/info!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I tried literally all the fuses in the fuse box, and none are blown. SO I guess ill be getting in the trunk and docking around! haha but yeah pictures would be appreciated, so I can know what I'm getting into before i dive into it head first, ya know?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
K, I'll try to get some for you tomorrow. First thing to check, get in the trunk and look on the underside of the rear deck under the back window. There is a cutout in the metal panel under where the rear window brake light is. That light should not have any wires plugged into it, because those wires should be used for the spoiler.

The connector and wires for the spoiler brake light are actually shoved up underneath the rear deck plastic cover. This should be plugged into the connector that would otherwise be plugged in the rear window brake light. Removing the rear deck requires quite a bit of work, so it would be best to dig around that opening under the rear window brake light with your fingers to see if you can find the connectors. Mine were on the drivers side of that opening. I'll be curious to hear what you find out as far as what is hooked up and what isn't.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This thread got me thinking and looking. I have a factory installed spoiler that has a working brake light but the one in the trunk lid does not light up. Is that the way it should be or should both work?

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
The Mobis factory/accessory spoiler and R spoiler LED brake lights are the only 'center' brake lights that should be lit.
The rear parcel shelf brake light is disconnected and bulb is removed upon installation of either spoiler mentioned.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah neither the rear window, nor spoiler light work. I haven't had time to take it to the dealership yet, or even look at it on my own, but I'm going to let them handle it. Their mistake, so I'll let them hook it up lol. What sucks though is I'm gonna have to take my subs & amp out first before I take it too them because there's no room for them to work with them in the trunk lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what was the outcome on your spoiler issue?

Reason I ask is my 2012 Kia Forte EX kept blowing brake light fuses and dealer and I kept replacing the brake pedal switch. One day I smelled smoke and discovered that wiring harness from the driver's side by the trunk hinge to the center under trunk area all burned away. According to the dealer this type of spoiler is added on at the US port of Kia and is not installed at the factory. That is why the wiring/harness and routing is such a hack job.

Now I am trying to find harness parts for it but not sure it the LED lights are bad.

Like to hear what you found out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts