Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have a problem with a flat spot when changing from 1st to 2nd and a little drop in torque when going from 1st to 2nd - After you engage 2nd the performance kind of dips and then kicks in - have done the Throtle mod and swithced t\c off btw, but still have the prob.

Any advice or solution to get a better start off the line?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Manual or auto???
Since you have done the throtle mod I guess you have a third pedal!!!
Before 4000RPM there's not much to squeaze from our engine and if you go below 3000 RPM when going into 2nd that torque loss feeling is normal!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Get a cai maybe that would help

·
Registered
444 Posts
Unfortunately our cars are kinda gutless until they hit 3000rpm, and the real power comes on around 4000rpm. The CVVT doesn't really make a feelable difference until around 5200rpm (I'm sure its doing its thing for the car from much lower rpms but thats when you can almost feel a 'second wind' coming in). For every day driving I usually shift around 3000, but if I gotta get around some one I'll drop a gear or two and let the revs do the walking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have a problem with a flat spot when changing from 1st to 2nd and a little drop in torque when going from 1st to 2nd - After you engage 2nd the performance kind of dips and then kicks in - have done the Throtle mod and swithced t\c off btw, but still have the prob.

Any advice or solution to get a better start off the line?
I totally know what you mean, and it's VERY frustrating.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd is like having your parents walk on you during sex, it kills the fun.

It's one of the things I hate the most about the car...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Option 1: rev all the way up to 3,800 rpm on 1st gear, then shift to 2nd.
Option 2: when shifting into second, hold the clutch longer (for about 3 seconds more) and then release...

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you go below 3000 RPM when going into 2nd that torque loss feeling is normal!
totally agree with this, if you shift at 3K you wont get the "delay" that you are experiencing. I have the 2.0 and have the exact same problem when shifting UNDER 3K rpm

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also manage to chirp the tyres in 2nd np - the problem is to get a smootha action going from 1st to 2n when pushing the car. Have contacted KIA and they say they will investigate.

·
Registered
585 Posts
When buying my 2010 Koup I took both the manual and automatic for a lenthy test drive. I found the manual to be just horrible. It need quite a bit more refinement. I have 1994 Miata and that is for me the holy-benchmark of manual transmissions. Perfect clutch action, 5 speed short throws, easy shifting. I bought the automatic Koup and have zero regrets. I wish Kia had put more time and effort into the manual transmission, as I prefer stick to automatic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts