Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New poster/member here. :) I haven't seen much on this subject, and did a few searches so I thought I'd ask about other people's experience on the subject. I just took my Kia Forte SX with 2600 miles on it for it's first oil change. Had the oil swapped for MobileOne Synthetic 5-20W.

Before I took the car in I noticed the oil was 1/2 a quart low. I checked the oil right around the time the car it the 600-mile mark, and it was plum full.

Would this be a typical behavior for a new Kia engine? Or should I be concerned?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,842 Posts
What speeds do you drive at? It is not unusual for a new engine driven at speeds in excess of 70 MPH to burn some oil -- especially if you don't smell it. If you drive around town and are losing 1/2 a quart of oil, schedule an appointment with your Kia service department to have them look at it.

I have 3 Fortes and none of them lose oil between changes - at least not noticable on the dipsticks!

...and just to be sure -- check your oil After the car has sat for a while after turning the engine off! sometimes it takes a while for all the oil to drain back into the bottom. We had another post where the owner thought he was using oil because he was checking his oil right after turning the engine off.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm typically driving around speeds of 50 to 60MPH. Rarely above that. And there's no oil smell either. My mechanic looked all around the engine and said it's completely clean. Not even a hint of a leak. HE thought it was possible that the engine probably used the oil in the 600-1200 mile range and didn't think it was too atypical for that in a new car.

I think I'll take your advice and have the dealership take a look.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,842 Posts
Check your oil in the morning before you start it for the first time...just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your oil in the morning before you start it for the first time...just to be sure.
Be sure your car is on a level surface too when you check your oil.

Mark
Oh yea.. I know standard operating procedure for checking oil... I appreciate the reminders tho. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
check your oil pan some of the members got oil leak from the oil pan ! for me its alright no leak and ive switched to mobil1 5w20 full syntec too ! perfect oil for this car even in the cold the engine feel more smooth than the oem oil

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mechanic checked everything. Not even a hint of a leak. We'll see how things go. Car immediately performed better with synthetic, that much is for sure.

I use MobilOne Synth in my Solstice GXP also. Great stuff...!

·
Registered
204 Posts
So just take an accurate (cold, level) reading now to get a baseline and then check it periodically to see what's going on. The few times I've used Mobil1 though, the oil level would go down with use, whereas it would not with other oils. I no longer use MObil1 based on that. With Castrol or Penziol I never see any noticeable loss.

I realize that your loss was with the factory fill, but in my experience I would not be surprised to see a loss with Mobil1 in the motor now. You've used Mobil1 before and like it, and that's fine, but my experience with it has been that it disappears.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just take an accurate (cold, level) reading now to get a baseline and then check it periodically to see what's going on. The few times I've used Mobil1 though, the oil level would go down with use, whereas it would not with other oils. I no longer use MObil1 based on that. With Castrol or Penziol I never see any noticeable loss.

I realize that your loss was with the factory fill, but in my experience I would not be surprised to see a loss with Mobil1 in the motor now. You've used Mobil1 before and like it, and that's fine, but my experience with it has been that it disappears.
On the GXP I've seen no loss of oil. And I'd think in that car with it's engine I'd be more likely to see it.

However I'll take your suggestion under advisement. I think as long as I stick to a Synthetic I'll be OK, regardless of brand... ;-)

·
Registered
204 Posts
On the GXP I've seen no loss of oil. And I'd think in that car with it's engine I'd be more likely to see it.

However I'll take your suggestion under advisement. I think as long as I stick to a Synthetic I'll be OK, regardless of brand... ;-)

Mobil1 is good oil, and you've had good luck with it in the past. So maybe you want to stay with it. But for me, the only time I've ever shown a loss was with the Mob1.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mobil1 is good oil, and you've had good luck with it in the past. So maybe you want to stay with it. But for me, the only time I've ever shown a loss was with the Mob1.
Any experience with the Quaker State synthetic? That's the synth that my Kia dealer uses. I'd imagine it would be no different than the Pennzoil synthetic (same parent company).

·
Registered
38 Posts
My '08 Rondo has the 2.4 engine. It currently has 128,300 miles & does not use oil between its 4200-4600 mile oil changes,which happen every 3 weeks to a month. Most auto co's say using 1 qt even every 1,000 is ''OK",but that usage would only be acceptable by me in a high mlg big block V/8. Your 2.4 should settle in and not use more than 1/2 qt in 4,000 miles. Unless you completely abuse it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any experience with the Quaker State synthetic? That's the synth that my Kia dealer uses. I'd imagine it would be no different than the Pennzoil synthetic (same parent company).
No, I can't say that I have used QS synthetic. Thirty years ago I used QS regular oil most of the time. QS is a fine oil in my opinion.

If you really want to get your OCD worked up about oil, check out Bobistheoilguy.com forums. Those guys have forgotten more about oil than I'll ever know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so this may be already common knowledge but I have discovered the REAL REASON why the 2010-13 2.0-2.4L engines are burning oil,
I spoke with a Kia maintenance service technician and he said that the cause for the oil burning is more than likely due to piston ring failures and that if under warranty and Kia decides that that is the problem they'll do a complete engine replacement (if piston rings have failed it requires a whole engine rebuild which they do NOT cover at the dealership) BUT first you'll have to schedule to do a oil inspection which requires getting an oil change from Kia, having them inspect the oil after 1,000 miles, taking samples, then have you drive another 1,000 miles and if they suspect that it's the piston rings then they should replace said engine, organize the faulty engine may fall under the lemon law clause contingency............. Y'all let me know what y'all think

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'll reply, although this post is actually from 7 years ago, and pertains to a car in its break-in period. It is TOTALLY normal for a car in the first 3000 mi. or 5000 km. to consume a bit of oil, and half a quart, or roughly half a dipstick is well within that. After that break-in period, it should be next to nothing, imperceptible.

Our Fortes are not burning oil, but they are quite new.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Ok so this may be already common knowledge but I have discovered the REAL REASON why the 2010-13 2.0-2.4L engines are burning oil,
Oh really? You just recently joined and the first post you make is in 7 year old thread where you claim to have the answer to a suposed oil burning problem.

I spoke with a Kia maintenance service technician and he said that the cause for the oil burning is more than likely due to piston ring failures
Who? What tech? From where? Big claims but no facts or evidence.

Y'all let me know what y'all think
Well, based on the fact that my 2011 2.4L doesn't burn oil, and since this thread died long ago, I don't believe this claimed oil burning problem is widespread if a real problem at all. So, with all that said, I think your claim is unfounded.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hihi, tough love NovaResource style.

You know, actually he may have a point. The thing is, it's no secret, none at all.
Oil 'consumption' has mainly 3 reasons

1. Leakage (often underestimated, but can be significant)
2. Piston Rings
3. Valve Shaft o-rings (and oil leaking through to the valve in the compression chamber).

...and according to one member here, the oil we are using (duck and run >:D).

Cheers,

Reactions: NovaResource

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hihi, tough love NovaResource style.

You know, actually he may have a point. The thing is, it's no secret, none at all.
Oil 'consumption' has mainly 3 reasons

1. Leakage (often underestimated, but can be significant)
2. Piston Rings
3. Valve Shaft o-rings (and oil leaking through to the valve in the compression chamber).

...and according to one member here, the oil we are using (duck and run >:D).

Cheers,
:biggrin2: >:D :laugh2: :angel2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts