Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled the oil capacity and it came up as 4.2 quarts. Other websites say 4.8 quarts. I googled it again in terms of LITERS, and it says 4.0 liters. The owners manual says 4.2 US quarts, and 4.0 liters.

So, I typically show up at the mechanic with my own gallon of Red Line 5W20. A gallon is 3.785 liters. The owners manual says 4.0 liters. I observed the mechanic pour in the entire gallon of oil. So, it's about .215 short, right?

Is this a concern?

Thank you

Walter

· Registered
2019 Forte EX
40 Posts
You're correct, 4.2 Qts is the capacity of the car. If he's only putting the gallon in then yes it's about 0.2 Qts short. Personally I wouldn't worry about it effecting the car, that little amount of oil isn't gonna hurt anything. HOWEVER, to keep your warranty in tact start buying an extra quart with the gallon so you can show that it's properly filled. Kia are notorious for being sticklers about warranty claims. If you show up for a warranty repair and they see you've only been putting 4 quarts instead of 4.2 then there's a chance they'll deny your claim.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're correct, 4.2 Qts is the capacity of the car. If he's only putting the gallon in then yes it's about 0.2 Qts short. Personally I wouldn't worry about it effecting the car, that little amount of oil isn't gonna hurt anything. HOWEVER, to keep your warranty in tact start buying an extra quart with the gallon so you can show that it's properly filled. Kia are notorious for being sticklers about warranty claims. If you show up for a warranty repair and they see you've only been putting 4 quarts instead of 4.2 then there's a chance they'll deny your claim.

I suppose I can also check the dipstick in the morning on a cold start to make sure it's between E and F right?

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,982 Posts
I suppose I can also check the dipstick in the morning on a cold start to make sure it's between E and F right?
THE best way to check oil levels...:)

Best to have it as close to "F" as possible.

· Administrator
2010 Koup SX
946 Posts
The most accurate way to do an oil change is doing it yourself...

In all my past experiences, garages always overfill the oil. Probably because they figure it's gonna lose a bit over time and the owner won't check it (at least that's what the internet told me...). I bring them a 4.5L jug? They pour it all in. I bring them a 5L jug? They pour it all in. I even once got my oil changed at a Kia dealer and when I got the car back it was about 1/4 inch over the F line, so I brought it back and the "certified mechanic" told me it's fine.

I'm especially anal about my oil levels, but in all honesty a lil over or a lil under is fine. When it gets below halfway between F and E is when you need to start worrying (or if it's an inch+ over F :p ).

As mentioned, just check the oil level after anybody else has performed an oil change and add oil as necessary. If it's overfilled well....... just wait it out. ;)

· Registered
149 Posts
Pretty much all Kia's are 4 or 4.2qt. Double check the specs in the manual

1 - 6 of 6 Posts