Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are going to be using an oil catch can be sure to insert the can's internal filter to the outlet side. When using a catch can in the PCV hose you want the filter on the intake connection, NOT the PCV valve side.

SXTH Element's catch can, for example, has a filter that screws in. Make sure it is on the side where the hose goes into the intake manifold! If you mistakenly put it on the hose coming from the PCV it may clog easily.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My SXTH Element oil catch can came with the filter on the right side (not like the picture above) - if I had not checked the proper flow I would have installed it incorrectly with the filter on the PCV side.

SXTH Oil Catch Can.jpg

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THE number 1 reason car manufacturers DO NOT install oil catch cans is that they know 99.7% of owners will not drain their catch can!!!

If the catch can fills up, the engine will literally suck in the oil and that can cause some serious damage.

Mishimoto recommends NOT letting the oil quantity to go above the oil baffle in their catch cans. They recommend the can be drained at 1000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read that there are oil catch cans that actually drain the collected oil back into the engine - I have not seen one in person nor have I seen one for sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts