Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thumbing through my manuals when I noticed that one manual states that oil changes should be performed every 5000 miles where another states every 7500 miles. I always thought you had to change after 3000 miles unless you're using synthetic oil. Am I wrong here? When are you guys changing your oil and what is the recommended interval for the Forte SX? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
most people are going to tell you too change the oil at 5000 miles if you use synthetic.
and 3000 miles for regular oil.

Kia says every 7,500 miles for any oil. In my opion thats waaaay too long but you'll be under warrenty if you atleast change it then.
I think they say change it every 5000 miles if you fall under severe service.. ie lots of go and stop, dusty,dirt areas etc..

ps, I change my oil every 3000 miles inless I'm using a synthetic then I go about 4,500 or if I feel the oil is looking dirty before then I'll change it before.

hope that helps

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like my first oil change early so I had that one done at the dealer around 1300 miles. I asked about the manual and they recommended changing the oil shortly after every 5000 miles and before 7500. They use Mobil conventional oil and told me I didn't need my first oil change until at least 5000 miles.

I will be doing the DIY oil change and switching to synthetic this weekend with just under 6000 miles on the car. This will be under their recommended 5000 miles. I will be using Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 then between 5000 to 7500 miles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was thumbing through my manuals when I noticed that one manual states that oil changes should be performed every 5000 miles where another states every 7500 miles. I always thought you had to change after 3000 miles unless you're using synthetic oil. Am I wrong here? When are you guys changing your oil and what is the recommended interval for the Forte SX? Thanks.

There is only one owners manual that comes with the car..are you saying that you have two different owners manuals for the same car? Please scan the covers.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Did my first oil change at 1600 miles...Did my second at 4200 miles so I went 2500 on that oil change and also switched to Castrol Synthetic w/ Wix filter. Plan to do all my future oil changes around 4500 or when oil looks dirty. Whichever comes first.

Additionally, I have never listened to OEM recommended intervels when it comes to that stuff. I change fluids allot earlier. It's just peace of mind for me....

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Did it at recommended 8000KM (5000miles) for the last year and half (35000Km and counting)!! No problem, oil look not too dark, level was perfect! Not a single issue.... and it's under waranty so....

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have been getting my oil changes every 5000 miles like clock work, comming up on my fourth change now. So far no problems, crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2010 owners manual says 7500 miles unless you meet any of the severe service conditions, then it is 5000. The list was probably about 10 items long, including stop and go, dusty environment, de-icing salt is used in your area, etc. I do mine at 5000.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm kind of surprised that the dealer would recommend 5000-7500 miles because they would make so much more money if they just said 3000 as most people are probably familiar with.

I don't have two manuals but I think if I recall correctly there are different service pages where you can fill out when you had service done & that's where I saw the different mileage. I'll see if I can get a picture of them.

I'm probably going to go with every 5000 miles as 3000 seems too soon & 7500 seems too late.

·
Registered
202 Posts
..........I'm kind of surprised that the dealer would recommend 5000-7500 miles because they would make so much more money if they just said 3000 as most people are probably familiar with.

Think about this for a second... Maybe they don't want the engine to last much longer than the warranty of 100,000k. So by running your engine longer between oil changes slowly wears things out to the point that at the 120,000k the engine needs work... :p

Things will go wrong just after the warranty period is over, just like my last 2 hot water heaters, both made by GSW, both went 18 days after the warranty was up. ;)

You be the judge, i'm only saying...:eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Think about this for a second... Maybe they don't want the engine to last much longer than the warranty of 100,000k. So by running your engine longer between oil changes slowly wears things out to the point that at the 120,000k the engine needs work... :p

Things will go wrong just after the warranty period is over, just like my last 2 hot water heaters, both made by GSW, both went 18 days after the warranty was up. ;)

You be the judge, i'm only saying...:eek:
So you bought 2 water heaters made by GSW and both went 18 days after the warranty, I hope you went with a different brand for the 3rd one.

If the Forte goes a little past the warranty then dies due to following the OEM recommended oil changes I wouldn't buy another KIA or whatever make for the car that died shortly after the warranty expires.

Oils have improved and the 3000 mile method was a way for the oil companies to get rich.

I prefer synthetic oil if for nothing more than the engine surviving beyond the warranty period.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Oils have improved and the 3000 mile method was a way for the oil companies to get rich.

I prefer synthetic oil if for nothing more than the engine surviving beyond the warranty period.[/QUOTE]

sorry but I'm sure the oil companys would be getting rich even if people changed there oil at 5000 miles or whatever.
since the whole world runs on oil not just are little cars.

just saying..

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use Mobile5000 for my Dodge Peon, I change it exactly before the 5000 miles, I had the oil tested 3 times after I did the oil changes. (tested the used oil) It tested as still good.

Wal-Mart
$11.00 Mobile5000 5w20/30
$3.00 (rounding up) Standard Ford Filter (compatible)

I will be doing my Koups oil every 3000 with Full Synthetic. Why? Because I love my Koup. I don't care if I waste hundreds of dollars over the course of ownership of my Kia. Why?
I love my car. I want it to last. It's my first, real "1st New" car. Straight off the showroom floor. I'v had other cars. All used. This car is special and should be treated as such.

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE PAYS OFF!

·
Registered
196 Posts

I prefer synthetic oil if for nothing more than the engine surviving beyond the warranty period.

sorry but I'm sure the oil companys would be getting rich even if people changed there oil at 5000 miles or whatever.
since the whole world runs on oil not just are little cars.

just saying..[/QUOTE]

They will still get rich but I don't want to give them any more than I have to. I still want my Koup to last beyond the warranty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I will be doing my Koups oil every 3000 with Full Synthetic. Why? Because I love my Koup. I don't care if I waste hundreds of dollars over the course of ownership of my Kia. Why?
I love my car. I want it to last. It's my first, real "1st New" car. Straight off the showroom floor. I'v had other cars. All used. This car is special and should be treated as such.

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE PAYS OFF!
It is just people giving opinions on what they do and believe with their personal oil change intervals. No one should try to make you change less often if that is what you prefer. I like that you care enough to use synthetic oils.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.