Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...what is the reccommended mileage time to get your first oil change? my mechanic said your first 3,000 miles.....what is everyone? your suggestion? i already about to hit 3K on my car and i just got the car in January 1st.

anyone has a maintenance schedule for the koup?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You have to change your oil???!!

J/K, I am planning on doing full synthetic soon here with 2400km's on it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I did mine at 730 miles and it was nasty!!! I used 5W-20 Castrol Syntec which is a full synthetic... Like CorsaKoup it's a personal preference, I also use premium 93 fuel as well...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have done mine at 352 kms, then again at 1800 kms, 2900 and 3900 ish. We get 'free oil' as a perk, so for the cost of a $4 filter, why not do it once a month? Of course, if they found out I was doing it once a month, that perk may get parked ;)

As for the rest of the world, following the 4 month, 5,000 mile /8,000 kilometer recommendation is considered 'ok', but it is also considered the maximum. I tell my customers that I want to see them before then, but how far before then is up to them as each customer has a budget and a schedule, and it's all about personal preference. You'll NEVER cause any harm in changing oil 'too often' - unless you consider the environmental aspects but this is not the place for that particular discussion. The key to oil changes is quality products, done properly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the info and feedback. this is my first car and i am trying to get as much info as possible as far as keeping the car in good shape. I guess i will take it in when it hits 3500, its at 3000 right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same here, it's my first car. Anyway to get this done do I set an appointment or do I just go to the dealership? As for the type of oil, I have no idea what to use. I'll just have to trust the techs at the dealer to pick it for me. haha

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
KiaTech are you using synthetic for all of those changes? Does Kia offer synthetic oil changes?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I will be checking the oil constantly, if it starts turning dark I will change if not I'll wait until 2,500miles - 3,000miles.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Kensai you need to adjust the picture dimensions of that Avatar, it looks like a minicooper all scrunched up. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kensai you need to adjust the picture dimensions of that Avatar, it looks like a minicooper all scrunched up. :)
Thanks for the advice I was noticing it, but was to lazy to do anything, which are the dimensions of yours? Sorry for the off topic.

·
Registered
746 Posts
KiaTech are you using synthetic for all of those changes? Does Kia offer synthetic oil changes? - Mfury
Not speaking for kiatech nor the oil changes they do or done.

But Yes, KIA has a KIA Synthetic, they offer Royal Purple as well.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thanks for the advice I was noticing it, but was to lazy to do anything, which are the dimensions of yours? Sorry for the off topic.
I just editted my pic to the specs it says 90x90, have to crop your pic to a square or it squashes it to one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a bear of a time changing my oil for the first time.
The oil filter was on SOOOO tightly that I literally bent the sides in while taking it off. Finding the correct size wrench was tough too.
Once all said and done the first time, the next won't be so bad. I opted to use a K&N filter that can be removed with a socket set or box end wrench. I also used fully synthetic oil and will change it once every year.

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^ that BETTER be... OMG...

I use our 'house oil', a semi-synthetic "dinosaur rot" 5W-20 and a genuine Kia filter. The 'benefits vs. price' of a full synthetic have never interested me. For those customers who choose to: Kia Canada doesn't actually offer a 5W-20 oil through our official parts desk, instead we're advised to source it locally so I request Mobil1.

·
Registered
526 Posts
After owning my Koup for 4 months the dealer said I should have the oil changed. I had less than 1000 miles on it and questioned them WHY? They said it should be changed at least every 3000 miles or 4 months. Gee...on that note I wonder how many months the oil was in my car before I got it!! Maybe they should have changed it before I took ownership! Whatever...they only charge me less than $20 to do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts