Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
:eek: April Fools right?
I dunno about that.

I once bought a 2000 BMW 528. First three years all maintenance was included. It had a series of 5 lights on the dash that when all were lit you were supposed to take it in for service, and they would reset the lights. It wasn't just mileage based - other factors were included. I had to lean on them to give me my free oil change when a year was up and I only had 3 lights lit. If I remember correctly I had less than 6000km on it. It was synthetic oil.

· Registered
12 Posts
Well... OK. I exaggerated... However, I do only change it in winter and in summer (twice a year). Changing oil every 3k for the average Joe is un-necessary in my, likely naive, book. No reason you can't go 10k to 12k between changes with a quality synthetic and a quality filter. Been doing it for years with no repercussions.

· Premium Member
704 Posts
I did my first change at 1000km using KIA's semi synthetic and then again at 8000km and went full synthetic. The KIA dealer here uses Quakerstate full synthetic and it costs me $75 for a full Schedule 1 maintenance with synthetic.

I use my car mostly for work and will do my 8000kms in about 3 months. I am planning to drive it for work for 5 years and then pass it to my wife for another 5 years (while I drive my new car!) With that in mind, I bought an additional 2 years and 60,000km warranty to total 7 year 160,000km and switched to synthetic in an effort to make sure it lasts the full 10 years. (the 10 year 100,000 mile/160,000 km warranty is only in the US, Canadian warranties are for 5 years and 60,000 miles/100,000 kms)

To some of you, especially in the US, $75 for an oil change may seem high, but where I live, that's even cheaper than the Penzoil 10 minute oil change place if you want full synthetic.

Also don't forget, because I use my car mostly for business, I'm paid a car allowance (covers all but $22 a month in payments), I'm mileage to cover maintenance (that account is still growing every month) and everything I spend on my car is a write off!

· Registered
436 Posts
After owning my Koup for 4 months the dealer said I should have the oil changed. I had less than 1000 miles on it and questioned them WHY? They said it should be changed at least every 3000 miles or 4 months. Gee...on that note I wonder how many months the oil was in my car before I got it!! Maybe they should have changed it before I took ownership! Whatever...they only charge me less than $20 to do it.
You're not required to do what the dealership says, you're required to do what the owner's manual says.

The severe service schedule is 6 months, or 3750 miles. Pretty much everyone falls under this category, so it's the one I follow. However, the tech that did my oil change at 636 miles wrote 5636 on the reminder sticker, he said because I'm using synthetic. I've only got around 3400 miles on it right now, and the 6 month line hits on April 23rd, so that's when I'll be getting the next change.

· Registered
51 Posts
So what is the deal with oil-change? Can I change the oil myself and keep my warranty intact?

I remember the business manager when I picked up the car saying something about it has to be an accredited mechanic??

· Registered
436 Posts
I was informed at the close of my deal that they don't care who changes the oil, as long as it is documented that it was done by an ASE certified technician. If an engine problem arises and you don't have the paperwork to support this, you could be in for warranty issues. I'm not ENTIRELY convinced that jives with the Magnuson-Moss ruling...just haven't taken the time to read the fine print.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.