Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me out, I'm gonna do an oil change on my forte Koup sx, I got 4 quarts of 520 synthetic oil and the filter from Kia, it came with a little metal gasket sort of thing:confused:, an they told me I will have to replace that or my oil will leak. does anyone know where that goes?

Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
The metal washer goes around your drain plug. You're gonna need another quart of oil. Oil change capacity with a new filter is 4.8 quarts on this engine.

What is 520 synthetic oil?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, its 5-20 synthetic

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never actually done an Oil change on my own...just want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just a piece of advice about changing the oil yourself. Kia's warranty stipulates that if you have an engine failure that involves an internally lubricated part, you must be able to provide documentation from an ASE certified technician that the oil changes were done, and done on time. Kia doesn't trust their customers and their piles of receipts for oil and filters. If you can't provide this documentation, they can deny the warranty claim.

I've worked out a deal with my local dealership that they change my oil for $10 if I bring in my own oil, so I show up with my 5-quart jug of Penzoil Platinum and they do the work. I'd love to do it myself, but I like my warranty.

Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I just go to my Dealer and get it changed there... 20$ and that's it.. If you've never done an oil change before why practice on a new car?:confused:.. Yea it's simple enough that anyone can do it, but it's your new baby! come on!:eek:

Problems with doing the oil change your self:
1. You get very dirty
2. If you don't have a lift or a pit, getting under your car can be a pain
3. You have to go down to your local auto store and recycle your oil

Benefits with doing your own oil change:
1. It's a lot cheaper (sometimes)
2. Rest assured that you did it right, and that all parts are properly torqued to the manufacture's specifications
3. no need to wait in a "waiting" room

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just has my oil change at 1200km. Get that early oil out guys. Your car will thank you.
Was wondering why so early, I have noticed that most car companies don't change the oil at 1,000km like they use to. My book say's every 15,000km but I might change mine at 7,500km and then let the dealer do the prescribed one at 15,00km

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I have always changed the oil and oil filter within the first 1000 miles and another one about 3000 miles later due to engine break in. Most of the abrasive materials use to assemble engines will be flush out by this time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
@ awcga: Most abrasive particles are caught by the filter within the first three starts. Second, it's an all-aluminum engine... aluminum is not considered abrasive - it usually squishes ;)

@ CorsaKoup: Having done 'just a couple' oil changes on the Forte, now... I can tell you that four litres is enough oil... with a filter change all I ever need to put in them is 3.7L (3.9 Qts), and that's with a very nicely calibrated counter.

@ rpps: 15,000km? WOW! I would never, ever, ever... ever. My head spins... my heart aches... my vomit rises. If that's the norm for Australia I'm moving there - must be tons of work in engine rebuilding!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
On new engines there is always a higher percentage of debris (Al,Pb, and Si) contaminating motor oil that is not trap in an oil filter. Although these particles are microscopic and are suspended in the motor oil, they are there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On new engines there is always a higher percentage of debris (Al,Pb, and Si) contaminating motor oil that is not trap in an oil filter. Although these particles are microscopic and are suspended in the motor oil, they are there.
That's why I did mine at 1230, and 5000 miles. I too, have always changed the 1st oil early.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts