Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you do your own oil changes if it voids any part of the warranty? I've always done oil changes myself and I would prefer to keep it that way with my new Koup. I can never trust anyone else working on my vehicles. Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
No changing your own oil will not void your warranty... but if you mess up and dont put enough oil or forget to put drain plug back in and seize your engine they may not cover it... i get my oil changed at a cadillac hummer dealership next to where i work... i no everyone that works there and i trust them.

I would suggest you save all your receipts of oil and oil filter you bought so you have a record that you actually did change the oil.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What he said. Keep a log of the date, and the mileage when you change the oil and keep your receipts for filters and oil.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
If you do your own oil change, it's recommended that you use genuine KIA Filters. There is a horror story (somewhere in the threads) about a guy who used an aftermarket filter. It did not seal correctly, causing an oil leak, which lead to engine damage. KIA did not cover it under warranty..

search for the thread

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does anyone know if you do your own oil changes if it voids any part of the warranty? I've always done oil changes myself and I would prefer to keep it that way with my new Koup. I can never trust anyone else working on my vehicles. Thanks!
If you have always done your own oil changes you obviously know what to do and will do it right. Keep some sort of records. Receipts won't say much since they won't say if you used it in your car or another car. Especially if you buy on a sale and take advantage of the offer and buy enough for multiple oil changes at that time. Any routine oil changes and your engine will be happy therefore you should not need the warranty. Should the warranty be needed the mechanic will notice the condition of the engine and have a good idea if the oil was changed.

I don't trust the service techs on my oil changes either and personally don't get why the dealers use 5W30 when the manual and the oil cap say 5W20. The manual does state it is OK to use 5W30 if 5W20 is not available. It is available so the dealers should use the 5W20. In my opinion the dealers should be considered voiding your warranty by not using the KIA recommended oil.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Its been said. it's fine to do your own oil changes but use Kia filters and keep a good, dated, with mileage, record or log. Also when you do a oil change take a quick look at the other fuilds and a quick glance under your car for any leaks and obvious damage to tires, brake pads and other things. It only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oil changes on a Kia Koup is now at every 7,500 miles [give or take driving conditions]. That's twice/three times a year for many drivers. It costs $30 bucks for the dealer to do it. There is no savings if you do it yourself. Oil, filter, effort and disposal of the old oil takes the saving out of the equation. Furthermore, you run the risk of something going wrong. If the filter you put on is defective, if the oil is wrong, if you don't put it on right...etc..you are simply giving Kia the keys to the door to deny a warranty claim. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oil = $11.00 and up (5qt jug)
Filter = $3.00 and up
Effort = FREE
Disposal = FREE, take it to an auto parts store, disposal is free. Trip alone is probably closer than driving to a KIA Dealership.
Chances of denying a warranty claim = 0 (if you keep records, receipts and take a photo of the oil draining and filling up of the kia with every oil change and a photo of the odometer)

Well worth it in my opinion.

I have never had a defective filter and I have done thousands of oil changes with multiple vehicles. Never had an engine problem because I did my own oil change. If someone botches an oil change, they shouldn't even be behind the wheel of bicycle.

How can someone forget to put in oil? before you drain the oil, put your canisters on top of the engine and unscrew the oil cap. Its a reminder when you look at it saying " fill it up"

jeeze.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I can't see how someone could forget to put in the oil either. The final steps should be checking the oil level on the dipstick and then looking for leaks under the car with the car running. If the dipstick is dry it should tell any person you didn't add the oil or you didn't add enough oil.

I changed my oil this weekend and it took 4 1/2 qts total. In that amount it included filling the filter with oil prior to screwing it on.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oil = $11.00 and up (5qt jug)
Filter = $3.00 and up
Effort = FREE
Disposal = FREE, take it to an auto parts store, disposal is free. Trip alone is probably closer than driving to a KIA Dealership.
Chances of denying a warranty claim = 0 (if you keep records, receipts and take a photo of the oil draining and filling up of the kia with every oil change and a photo of the odometer)

Well worth it in my opinion.

I have never had a defective filter and I have done thousands of oil changes with multiple vehicles. Never had an engine problem because I did my own oil change. If someone botches an oil change, they shouldn't even be behind the wheel of bicycle.

How can someone forget to put in oil? before you drain the oil, put your canisters on top of the engine and unscrew the oil cap. Its a reminder when you look at it saying " fill it up"

jeeze.
Maybe your effort is free, but mine is not. I bill out as a consultant at a high rate. I can get more done at the dealer on my Blackberry [set up appointments/schedule billable time] than I can mickey-mousing with oil and filters. Doing an oil change does not yield any savings in my case. But maybe for others its important to save the 20 bucks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
...There is a horror story (somewhere in the threads) about a guy who used an aftermarket filter. It did not seal correctly, causing an oil leak, which lead to engine damage. KIA did not cover it under warranty..

search for the thread
sounds like someone just double gasketed the oil filter, not something to do with the actual filter

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
sounds like someone just double gasketed the oil filter, not something to do with the actual filter
There is a Kia TSB about oil filters -- some brands DO NOT WORK WELL with the CVVT.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great! thanks for all the info guys. I'll keep a detailed record of each oil change I do. And on a side note I'll be using a genuine kia oil filter for every oil change I do.

Another side note: people who trust their mechanics should be weary. The last car I owned before my Koup, the previous owner let me know when she dropped off the car that she had all fluids checked and replaced before delivering the car too me and the guy forgot to put the oil dipstick back in...resulting in her having to pull over on the highway on the way to deliver my car to me to see oil EVERYWHERE in the engine bay. You can never trust anyone...this is why I prefer to do all work on my vehicles myself (that is, unless it's covered under warranty for 5 years :) )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts