Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Kia Forte that is using alot of oil lately. About 4 months ago I checked my oil dipstick and it did not register. So I put in 4 quarts even though I was getting an oil change the next day. Everything seemed fine for awhile. Then 3,000 miles later I had an oil change. Now, 1000 miles since the last oil change I felt like something was wrong. So, I checked my oil dipstick and it did not register again. So, I put 3 more quarts in and I'll check again this weekend. I don't understand why this is happening. Anybody have ideas or who to contact???

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
441 Posts
How many miles do you have on that car? I have a 2017 Forte with the 2.0 and it doesn't use any oil between 10,000 miles full synthetic oil changes. I just checked mine yesterday and it has 5,400 miles on the last oil change and is still full and pretty clean. I have 115,000 miles on my Forte and do all of my own work. I don't trust other people. Sounds to me like you have either a leak, bad valve seats or worn rings. First place to look is at the drain plug on the pan and make sure it's tight, then check the filter and make sure it's tight and not leaking. Then, check the oil pan for leaks. Next, go up top and look at the valve cover for leaks. If no leaks are found, pull a spark plug and look at it for oil deposits. If you don't see any and the plug has a nice tan color to it, do a compression test on each cylinder. That ISN'T normal.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Forte that is using alot of oil lately. About 4 months ago I checked my oil dipstick and it did not register. So I put in 4 quarts even though I was getting an oil change the next day. Everything seemed fine for awhile. Then 3,000 miles later I had an oil change. Now, 1000 miles since the last oil change I felt like something was wrong. So, I checked my oil dipstick and it did not register again. So, I put 3 more quarts in and I'll check again this weekend. I don't understand why this is happening. Anybody have ideas or who to contact???
Are you sure whoever is "changing" your oil is filling the engine back up? Do you check your car's oil level IMMEDIATELY AFTER the oil change to insure it is correct?
Using 3 quarts in 1000 miles and no visible leaks would mean the engine has to be burning it - that should be noticeable by the smell of burnt oil in the exhaust AND gray smoke.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Like mentioned above, check, check, check & verify. Engine off & on.

From personal experience after I bough my SX from my friend, I replaced the engine oil pan, it's gasket. No more leaks.

Also I always have in the trunk a quart of transmission & engine fluid. Just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts