Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My friend just bought a 2010 Kia Forte 2.0L 4 Door a month and a half ago, he currently have 1,890 km on the odometer. Today he brought his car over to me to ask if I could do an oil change for him. Before I drained the oil, i check the oil dip stick and it was missing 1/2 the oil (oil on the dip stick was in the middle of max and low) ... so i decided to wait ~30 - 45 mins to check again and it was the same thing.

So I told him to go to the dealership tomorrow and check it out because a new car is not suppose to be missing oil at this early in time .. especially half of it.

So any ideas of what is wrong before he goes in and have it checked?

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hello Chris.. ok I posted someplace on this site.. that my car had been a half quart low like your saying.. and since I did not have to drive the car I waited 24 hours and woke up checked it again.. low and behold it read full I did not add any oil at all.

I think these motors tend to hold more oil up in the top end even hours after you run the car sometimes it will read a quart low.. but trust me its not really low... I freaked out at first too realized now that theres no problem and the car does not use any oil out all.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Are you making the assumption that the engine was completely full at one time? Did he verify that it was completely full when he bought it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you making the assumption that the engine was completely full at one time? Did he verify that it was completely full when he bought it?

I am not making an assumption, as my friend and I checked everything from front to back, inside to outside (including all the fluids in the engine) and everything was fine before we/he took it off the lot of the dealership.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can tell you from experience that the dealership will just tell you 'it's breaking in' if you take it in at this mileage. Change the oil and keep your eyes on the level. If consumption doesn't level out by 5000 miles, take it to the dealer so they can begin monitoring consumption.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.