Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Personally, I think your dealer is pulling a fast one. You might be interested in this take. I believe the dealer like I believe the moon is made out of green cheese.

Engine Oil Filter Study

If the oil filter was totally clogged, I should think there should be a by-pass valve which would still have circulated the oil. I have never seen this happen before and I simply don't believe it.

· Registered
218 Posts
I'm sort of surprised to see this come up regarding the viscosity of the oil. Looking at the 2011 Kia manual it states that 5w-20 and 5w-30 SM rated oil is specified from -30 degrees F to 120 degrees F. 10w-30 is OK but only from 0 to 120 degrees F.

It states specifically 1. "For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5w-20 (AP SM / ILSAC GF-4)"....

Unless I am greatly mistaken Ford has for years mandated ONLY 5w-20 viscosity oil. Some time ago I seem to recall that Consumer's Report tested the viscosities of various oils and found that there was virtually no difference in the "thinning" of the 5w-20 over the 5w-30 oils. 10w-40 oil hasn't (to my knowledge) been recommended in modern engines for perhaps over a decade or more.

Personally, speaking I always put 5w-20 oil in all my vehicles and Motocraft "semi-synthetic" oil is readily available at Wal-Mart for about $2.75 a quart. But in all honesty, I would imagine the cheaper Wal-Mart brand is just fine so long as it has the SM rating which I have used in other equipment including my cars. (or for that matter any store branded oil meeting factory specs.)

I've also used synthetic oils in the past and could tell no difference in fuel mileage and I discontinued it many years ago. In my view the oils of today are so superior to the oils of yesteryear that engines will almost never wear out. The bodies will fall off the car with the engines still running strong. It is exceedingly rare to see any engine actually burning visible oil today. One can only think that the owner must have several hundred thousand miles on their vehicles or just don't take care of them at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.