Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a list of oil filters from the manufactures web site to fit the 2.0 and 2.4 liter engines. The listed oil filters are interchangeable for either engine size. I only listed 1 for Fram because that model is the only one that has metal filter endcaps.

Bosch
3312 good
D3312 better

Fram
XG9688

K&N
HP-1004

Mobil1
M1-104

Purolator
L14459 good
PL14459 better

WIX

·
Registered
746 Posts
more oil filter threads..

the oe filter is like maybe $8, the bosch d3312 which you list as better... better than what? unless, you have purchased and used them all did UOA's, cut them open and are going to post the pics & results...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Apparently we need to sticky/pin the TSB regarding after-market oil filters. Nice list, but I honestly hope no one uses it.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently we need to sticky/pin the TSB regarding after-market oil filters. Nice list, but I honestly hope no one uses it.
I could not find the TSB about after-market oil filters. Could you list it for me. I would like to review it.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,869 Posts
I could not find the TSB about after-market oil filters. Could you list it for me. I would like to review it.
Get an account on the Kia Global Tech website...then you can read all the TSBs and Campaigns to your heart's content...lol

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

There is not a specific TSB on the oil filter, however TSB KT2009050801 has this tip:​
TECH TIP:
Make sure the oil filter is OE; aftermarket oil filter flow rates differ and may affect the CVVT system performance.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice and TSB. Took a little searching but it looks like Kia oil filters are made by Fram and/or Purolator. Hard to believe any manufacture would want a Fram oil filter on their engines.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That would be funny if made from Fram since I talked to a tech at Kia and they said yeah no prob using an after market as long as its not Fram...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My searches so far show a couple of companies in China making the "OEM" Kia filters. Fram is definitely not an OEM for KIA. WIX and Purolator popped up from a China filter company, maybe they made some of them??? These guys (Ruian Lyedon Autoparts Co.) keep popping up as OEM for KIA. One Hyundia site forum claims that Hyundia released a TSB about using aftermarket filters due to crappy Fram filters causing valve clatter noise.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mfury - the Hyundai & KIA TSB's came about 4 yrs ago basicly aimed at Fram filters causing issues. Other OE's did rebrand Fram filters and sell as their own, but not KIA.
That Chinese site looks like an importer/exporter, does not mean they are manufacturing parts for KIA.

Here is image of the 503 OE oil filter. Every box says made in Korea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2006 Sorento and Forte use the same filter. I've been using the PL14459 without any issues on the Sorento and will use this filter on the Forte when I start changing my oil. Any OEM that tries to restrict consumers to use of their parts/service is flirting with restraint of trade legislation. The burden of proof lies on the OEM to document that their part/service is the only qualified part and that any/all aftermarket parts will not provide satisfactory service. The OP's list is fine, Pruolator and Wix make some of the best aftermarket filters available, Fram would be the last on the list I'd consider using.

You can Google "oil filter quality" and there are several studies for your reading pleasure. First one on the list: Oil filter comparisons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts