Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning i noticed an oil drop under my car, i didn't think it was mine, but to double check i put a piece cardboard under it to see, i checked on it in an hour and it turned out my car was leaking oil. Being at 2910 miles, i thought i'd take it to have the oil changed, and the leak checked, once i pulled in the "10 minute oil / Penzoil" place, i told the guy and he asked how many miles are on it, i was like about 3000 miles, he said there is so much oil leaking from it its unbelievable, he said there's over a quart gone, and that he can't work on it so the dealer doesn't blame him for anything. He told me i have to get it checked asap at the dealer, when i asked what was it, he said that he checked all the usual and that it appears to be my "oil pan something" wasn't sealed right when it was out together at the factory. I called the dealership and the closest time available is wednesday :( so now i am driving with an extra gallon of oil in my trunk just in case, and i am not driving as much.

Anyone had this happen to?

Isn't it too soon for something like that to happen?

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I've had this same problem. There's a problem with the seal. Mine is so minor though it's not much of a problem and my dealer said they'll fix it whenever I have a couple hours to spare.

If yours is a significant leak like you said then yeah just keep extra oil in your trunk. It shouldn't be too much of a problem and it will all be covered through the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just in last thursday with my sedan for the exact same problem. Wasn't leaking a lot of oil but they fixed it in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS alot, the oil leak doesn't look bed, probably around 1 or 2 one drops per hour, so i estimate its been going on for a week for it to have lost a little under quart (thats what he had to do to top it off to the line), now i am waiting till wednesday, dealer is being cooperative, but they said it will take a few hours so i should come with the day free.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does anyone know if this is limited to the 2.4 engine?

In any case, I'll be keeping an eye out on my 2.0!

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's both the 2.0 and 2.4 engines. From the ones we've seen it's an issue with the little robot on the assembly line not colouring inside the lines so well. The front case is not sealing properly and while it's only experiencing oil splash from the timing chain, it's enough that it gets noticed after a while. The fix takes anywhere from 2-4 hours and it's basically just a removal, clean up, and reseal of the timing chain cover/oil pan gasket.

I have only seen one occurrence now where the vehicle is losing enough oil to be considered a 'problem'. Usually it's more of a 'sweat' and 90% of owners have no idea prior to us seeing it during service.

There is no official release from KCI yet to determine a faulty date-range, or even acknowledging the situation with a TSB or like. Dealers are just doing the reseal, and going about it under regular warranty processes. If it's not a big enough deal to warrant a Service Action or TSB, then I can only assume it must be no big deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same issue. Noticed it the first time I was changing my oil, at around 3000 miles. Took it to the dealer a week later, and they said the oil pan bolts weren't torqued properly. They drained the oil, cleaned the oil from the undercarriage, re-torqued the bolts, and refilled the oil. Took less than an hour.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Car has been in the dealership now for 3 days getting this LEAK fixed. I don't think my leak is from the oil Pan since the dealer emptied out everything in my engine compartment. I am hoping to get the car tommorow, or saturday. Anyways, i went in today to get a loaner, and had to get something from my car, it was on a lift, both front tires off, half of the front suspension was off, air intake off, alot of other stuff off. radiator fluid was still dripping from the car. and the engine compartment was emptier than usual. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
ahhh i just bought my new forte cause of a problem with oil and all that screwd my last car... just peachyyy... sucks:( hope it doesnt happen to me!! i am currently at 6000km.. no problems yet:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I mean any oil leak is a nightmare. But thankfully anything done to it is under warranty. My old camry was NOTHING but leaks. Everything will be fine! Good luck

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealership called today, they said it's ready, but it was too late for me to get to them, so they said i can keep the loaner for one more day and pick up my baby anytime tomorrow.

Can't wait :D

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Oil leak as a mod?
;) sir you have a strange mod list going there

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got back from the dealership an hour ago, everything is good as new. I was kinda pissed because as far as i know is that technicians are supposed to record all your settings, and restore them after the reconnect your battery.

Complaints:

-All settings were erased
-HID Highbeams were disconnected (never connected the negative wire of the harness to the battery, but they connected the Low beams perfectly
- The caps for the AC filling points were missing. (where you charge the AC)

Luckily, i had a mini-ratchet set in my glove box to fix the HID on the lot, and had the dealer reinstall the caps.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THE Cause of the problem

The service manager told me that the car was leaking from the "MAIN SEAL", however the service paper with the description stated "OIL LEAK FROM THE MID PLATE".

Everything is done now, the dealer felt bad so they gave me a complimentary first service. and i had a list of about 2 pages of things they needed to do and it was all done.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Extremely happy. :) nothing I missed it alot, the Koup is much better than the sorrento. and the car feels the the same or better, which makes me happy. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another Koup 2.4l with Oil Leak

Oil leak reported at oil pan by dealer at second service interval - 10k km, said they would fix at next service at 15k km. Seems as though this is a typical problem with the 2.4L Koup. Kia needs to assume all vehicles need a fix here; voluntary recall would be nice. Should be covered by warranty though.

Will report if any other problems are found.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts