Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been a member since I bought my 2011 Forte5 SX back in 2016. It was used but only had 37,000 miles. Currently it only has 47,000 miles and has been a great car.

Yesterday I purchased my 2nd Forte. A used 2013 Koup SX. This is my 6th Kia and 10th Hyundai/Kia vehicle overall.

This was an addition to my garage, not a replacement. This will be driven by my 2nd daughter and the 2006 Spectra SX sedan with 156,000 miles that she used to use will now go to my son who is the youngest and will start learning to drive in a couple months. Here's the other Hyundai/Kias I own currently:

I took a gamble on this Koup. It has 87,000 miles and a replacement 2.4L engine. The car appears to be well maintained inside and out with just a few blemishes. Not sure what happened to the engine maybe it was the knocking problem. But for only $7,600 I thought it was worth the risk.

The car was originally listed for $10,999 but sat on the lot for 4 months. I watched the price drop many times until it reached a price I though was good to purchased it. The dealer tried to make it seem like "it has a new engine" was a plus but then I asked, was it "new" and then they came back and said no, but it had fewer miles than 87,000. I told him, that was a con, not a plus because any car that has the engine removed and replaced is NEVER as good as from the original build at the factory. But I still bought it. I think that may be why it sat so long.

So the test drive was great and then the drive home (about 15 or so miles). About 3 miles from home on the highway I gave it some throttle to downshift and pass a car. And IT happened. This unnerving sound and lots of banging.

Made it home and called the dealer. They said bring it back if it was driveable. I felt that it was because the engine felt fine under load. No vibrations or sound. Only at idle, accelerating or deceleration. To me it felt more of a transmission problem. Possibly a bad torque converter. I get back to the dealer, explain the issue to the service guy and tell him I think its the toque converter. They put it up on the lift and guess what they found?

All the bolts connecting the converter to the flexplate were loose. Apparently they were not torqued down to spec. This is why I say a replacement engine is never installed as good as the original build. Even the best mechanics can miss things.

The good news is, the second drive home was without incident and I took the car for a number of long drives, both heavy city and highway driving. All is good and it runs so sweet and smooth. But I will be keeping the car and using it for the next week to make sure all is well before turning it over to my 2nd daughter and getting the 2006 Spectra SX back.

Updates to follow to see how well this Koup with a replacement 2.4L engine does.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a week of driving the Koup I finally turned it over to my daughter yesterday. I really like the Koup and it had 2 features I wish my 2011 SX hatchback had: the power folding mirrors and the speaker mood light rings. The Koup ran great and functioned without issue except for one thing. Both steering wheel paddle shifters broke off. WTF?!

The switch part of the paddle shifters are bolted into the steering wheel. The paddles themselves attach via 2 tabs each where the paddles pivot on. The right paddle (+) broke both tabs and fell out in my hand. The left paddle (-) only had the upper tab broken and was very loose. I did manage to remove it completely without breaking the lower tab.

I realize this is a black car and these are plastic pieces that were exposed to a lot for heat for 6 years but they should have lasted longer. The paddles in my titanium grey 2011 hatchback are 2 years older and still ok.

I already ordered new parts online. $49 for the pair. I've seen them as high as $39 each. My complaint is they only come as complete assemblies. Meaning the paddles and the electric switch are together already assembled. So to install them I have to disassemble the steering wheel to install the new ones. I was hoping to find just the paddles themselves since they just snap into the switch part of the assembly. That would be cheaper to purchase and easier to install.

That also lead me to think about some aftermarket company making new paddles that were larger and covered more of the circumference of the steering wheel. Maybe even being made of aluminum instead of plastic. That way you could replace the paddles completely instead of bolting or gluing on extensions, which is the only thing available in the aftermarket currently.

Your thoughts?

Does anyone know of a place that sells just the OEM paddles or that sells aftermarket paddles that completely replace the originals?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: Did some work today to the Koup. First thing I should mention is I came across another issue. After washing the car and driving in the rain a little I noticed the passenger side headlight must be leaking because there is condensation and water inside.

So I ordered a new headlight from Amazon. It's aftermarket but OEM style. Also, the new steering wheel shifter paddles and Hella horns came in the mail the other day with the headlight. Today, I first removed both headlights and the grille to access the factory horn. I removed the OEM horn drilled a matching hole in the radiator support and mounted both horns. The spliced the wires and created new wiring to connect the 2 to the factory wires. Then I replaced the grille, the drivers headlight and installed the new passenger headlight.

Next up was to replace the steering wheel shifter paddles. That turned out to be much easier than I thought. I thought I might have to remove the air bag and steering wheel but I didn't. After seeing the new parts I could tell they would be able to be removed with the steering wheel in place. Just remove the one screw in each paddle the pry away at the switch. It pops right out. Then just disconnect the wires from the old switch and plug them into the new switch and snap the shifter into the back of the wheel. Then replace the screw and your done. Tool less than 10 minutes. If your shifter paddles are broken, just order the parts for about $50 for both and do it yourself. Very easy.

Now I have to adjust the new headlight to be aimed properly.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I would add some pics of the work I did and of my 2 Fortes.

Hella Horns:

Paddle Shifters:

The faternal twins:

Comparison of the sedan/hatchback headlights (top) and the Koup headlights (bottom):

I was surprised to notice that the sedan/hatchback has more black inside compared to the silver in the Koup. I thought it would be the opposite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts