Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know enough about the snow talk already but I need to know....Driving in the first significant snowfall (12+ inches today- OHIO) my car sounded like it was literally going to explode.....When I drove over snow that was packed down on the freeway there was a horrible rumbling sound w/ vibration that took over the whole car...Has anyone else experienced this? I took the fiance's car (Who also has a sedan) out for a drive and hers did the same thing. What the hell is this and why??? It literally drove me nuts and yes I had the radio up....I've never had a car do this before in the snow....

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
My car is quiet quiet on the highway and driving in snow, (except for my ridiculously loud snow tires, i mean they are as loud as my friends mudding tires). The only time when my koup is loud in the snow is when

1. Backing up in the snow (sounds kinda as if you have light brake pressure on a mercedes or an audi, it feels as if there's something on the brakes)

2. Turning extremely slow in a parking spot, same sound as above, as if there is light brake pressure

3. slamming on brakes and ABS kicking in (sounds as if you lost your tires and your car is grinding on the chassis).

but they're all normal sounds, i am impressed on how my Koup acts in the snow (off course with the help of my blizzak tires which are amazingly grippy and loud). Only recommendation is no TCS at lights.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the ugly ass steelies w/ hubs on my sedan....I am certain that's not what is is.....When I was driving and the snow was fluffy I didn't hear a peep out of my car...as soon as I hit more compacted snow, such as right after the plow obviously scraped the top couple inches that's when I noticed the problem...I have never heard this before, definitely never felt anything like that before.....I've had steelies, aftermarket wheels, stock aluminum wheels...never experienced it before.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did you have TCS on? If it's deep snow then your tires are going to slip...when they do the TCS takes over and cuts power/applies brakes and makes the car nearly undriveable. Try shutting it off if you're just putting around town in anything more than an inch of snow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you get snow in your rims it will sound like ass and vibrant like hell. I would put money on that. Do you have steel rims or alloys? This typically happens worse to steelies as they are closed off more, but can happen to alloys as well.
THAT!
i took my last car to the dealership last winter because of the shimmying at highway speeds...turned out i had packed snow in my rims, and that little bit of weight was throwing the balance into dismay.

went to the carwash, done deal. it was allllll smooth again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts