Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other thread I started regarding two styles of rims i was lookin at got me thinking. I like the Black with chrome ones i posted but like ForteSXFan pointed out I'm not sure how it'd look w/o any other chrome accents on the car. I'm having a hard time deciding on what would look good on my Copperhead Koup. I like black rims, but I also think that i'd like some more contrast between the rims and tires so you can actually tell there are Rims (i feel rims are something that should be noticeable, not tacky and in your face, but noticeable) and am now stumped.

Does anybody have any input to what may look good color wise for rims? has anybody seen a copperhead koup, or Sedan for that matter, that has some nice lookin rims. I'm not sure what type of design i'm lookin for...i like the web-like spokes and ones with 5-7 spokes, but not more than that. Any ideas are welcome!

Oh, and I like the rims from shark racing (attached) and wanted to know ya'lls thoughts on how they'd look with the copperhead orange.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
on your copperhead koup, id say black woiuld look killer. id stay away from chrome and if you get a black wheel, like above, i think it should be gloss. i like those rims because it has that silver along the edges which will help keep the wheel and the tire separate as far as visually when you look at it. some problems with str8 black wheels is that you cant tell what's tire and whats wheel and thats not a problem with these. i like it, sir

·
Registered
431 Posts
So, the other thread I started regarding two styles of rims i was lookin at got me thinking. I like the Black with chrome ones i posted but like ForteSXFan pointed out I'm not sure how it'd look w/o any other chrome accents on the car. I'm having a hard time deciding on what would look good on my Copperhead Koup. I like black rims, but I also think that i'd like some more contrast between the rims and tires so you can actually tell there are Rims (i feel rims are something that should be noticeable, not tacky and in your face, but noticeable) and am now stumped.

Does anybody have any input to what may look good color wise for rims? has anybody seen a copperhead koup, or Sedan for that matter, that has some nice lookin rims. I'm not sure what type of design i'm lookin for...i like the web-like spokes and ones with 5-7 spokes, but not more than that. Any ideas are welcome!

Oh, and I like the rims from shark racing (attached) and wanted to know ya'lls thoughts on how they'd look with the copperhead orange.
What style are you going for? Luxury or Sports Tuner. And those rims are like 900$ :S, not to mention that shipping is extra. I'd save my money and get a better set. Don't get me wrong, they look good, but theres a lot of info missing. Weight? Forged? I see that these are staggered, so in essence you would have to buy 4 sets of tires as well and they can cost anywhere from 400$ ++, dont forget about mounting, balancing, tire pressure, warranty. All that crap.

I don't want to be this harsh, but I really don't want you to waste money on some average rims, whereas you can get a decent set of tires + rims at 900$...

Hope I am clear.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I absolutely understand what your saying, and i do have some reservations about them for the reasons you mentioned. The website had no real info on them. I just posted those as kind of something i was looking at to offset the wheen and black rim. I'm honestly not too sure exactly what i want, which is why i'm hoping some of you may have some input on something you may have seen. I know everybody's got differing tastes, but I have a hard time imagining a picture of rim on my car (and the sites that "put" them on a picture of you car looks waaay to fake for me). Thats why i'm hoping some people have some input from personal experience. I'm extremely open to any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I think they'd look amazing!

·
Registered
431 Posts
xxr 6 rims and tires packages. xxr 6 black w/copper wheels and tires packages at WheelsNext.com

This is just for idea purposes, generally Good decent lightweight rims cost from 150$ -$300 each rim, anything above that is either BBS, OZ, Advan, Work or some other decent rim, but those are really good, and no need for those on the koup, you don't wanna be getting a really expensive BBS LM at like 700$ each and get curb rash the next day.. lol I'm just saying.. So, in essence you would want to tap into the 150-300 market. For that price you really are spread for choices, but do your research, take your time, see what fits and what doesn't thats why the online sites like tirerack and wheelsnext have a car selector to see if it'll fit the car and only display rims that'll fit. You would generally wanna stay within factory limits but an upsize won't make much of a difference if you decide to go lighter than stock regardless. So that means.. Stick within 18s or 17s, stick within the 215 .. 45.. so that you have less to worry about later (rubbing against fenders, wheels sticking out of fender, which btw in some places is illegal). And if you do go 18s, get decent tires, summer or allseason whatever fits your budget (because you wont be driving these rims and tires in the snow, keep in mind the salt in the de-icing thingy puts rust on some rims).

If you wanna know about tires, thats another issue but generally I've found these tires are rated the best among all round performance and durability/less road noise/traction:

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval
Yokohama S.drive

these are just allseason tires, ofcourse you get other names brands and models when you go for summer tires.

The link I provided is an idea, they have 4 rims + 4 tires (nanking <--tbh you should get better tires if you go with 18s) + free shipping + free install + free balancing all for around 950$. And you have more discount if you show an armed forces ID, I think the discount is around 50$.. but still.. that would put it out to 900$ flat, everything included..

See what I mean?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aidens, i do like those. have u seen an all black rim on a koup, particularly one like this? I'm curious how much the wheel and tire blend in. I like your rims! i think if i go with the full black i'd have to get the calipers painted to kind of put some break in the darkness.

Main...dang man, you've been a huge help the past two days! i appreciate it all. I like those rims with the copper ring...think it'd look good with the copperhead!. I was looking at some Pirelli PNero Zero M+S all season tires. I was lookin at either 215/40's or 225/40s, depending on which rims i go with. any thoughts on those?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Aidens, i do like those. have u seen an all black rim on a koup, particularly one like this? I'm curious how much the wheel and tire blend in. I like your rims! i think if i go with the full black i'd have to get the calipers painted to kind of put some break in the darkness.

Main...dang man, you've been a huge help the past two days! i appreciate it all. I like those rims with the copper ring...think it'd look good with the copperhead!. I was looking at some Pirelli PNero Zero M+S all season tires. I was lookin at either 215/40's or 225/40s, depending on which rims i go with. any thoughts on those?
Remember our stock tire size is 215/45/17, if you go with 215/40, you're having a smaller sidewall than stock means less % from your rim to the end of the tire (tread).. if you go with 225/40, your getting wider tires, (which is better for traction wise.. more rubber on the road, the better) but then your still losing % in the sidewall. So if you ask me which of these three would last the longest? well depends how you drive, but in average stock would last longest (215/45/xx) then the other two. If you get a staggered set of rims, then you may have the option of getting both, which btw will look amazing on the koup..

Run 215/45/xx on the fronts and 225/45/xx in the rear. lol...but then you gotta roll your fenders, (or maybe not.. I have to confirm this). As for the Pirelli PZero Nero, those are good tires, and an average price for them is around $130 each.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this is going to be a stupid question, but i know nothing about tires (or cars in general, for that matter). Having less of a sidewall with the 215/40's means what other than less tire between the rim and tread? does that affect anything performance wise? is it that i'll need to get new tires sooner?

·
Registered
431 Posts
So this is going to be a stupid question, but i know nothing about tires (or cars in general, for that matter). Having less of a sidewall with the 215/40's means what other than less tire between the rim and tread? does that affect anything performance wise? is it that i'll need to get new tires sooner?
Nope you probably wont need to get new tires sooner, but I can confirm one thing for you. 215/45 vs 215/40, that second number is directly proportional to ride harshness.

You would have a less harsher ride in the 215/45 due to more tire so the tire when under braking or acceleration or hitting a bump, would have more tire to flex. Same goes with traction, the higher the second number the better traction you would receive [i.e]more grip.

In essence, a 215/45 will have better traction and a softer ride than the 215/40.

[offtopic: After looking back at all of this, I should quit my job and work in a tire/rim store lols]

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, so i found some rims that i really like. the XXR 518s with the machine finish. I think it would look good with the copperhead orange, plus the fact that it's not completely black should provide some contrast. I really like the design and color. Thoughts? also, does XXR make good rims? I'm going with the 18", 7 inches wide. I was thinking though...could i go with an 18" x 8.5" in the rear? will that rub against the fenders? i think having the wider wheels in the back could look cool, but i dont want it to look cool at risk of rubbing.

check that, afte discussing with a friend, i dont think i want to get the wider in the back for rotating purposes

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok, so i found some rims that i really like. the XXR 518s with the machine finish. I think it would look good with the copperhead orange, plus the fact that it's not completely black should provide some contrast. I really like the design and color. Thoughts? also, does XXR make good rims? I'm going with the 18", 7 inches wide. I was thinking though...could i go with an 18" x 8.5" in the rear? will that rub against the fenders? i think having the wider wheels in the back could look cool, but i dont want it to look cool at risk of rubbing.

check that, afte discussing with a friend, i dont think i want to get the wider in the back for rotating purposes
Okay, XXR is good, but tend to be on the heavy side, if you go around 18 x 8.5, which is around 24 lbs!! But, that just one thing bad about them, they have lifetime warranty (from cracks/defects) and generally have good customer service. XXR is cheaper priced and performance wise is okay, lower than Work, 5zigen, Enkei & etc, but for the price unbeatable. A couple of STIs have had them and they none of the owners actually complained about them so far. As far as the size, go with 18 x 7. I know they will fit without issues even if you get lowering springs, but 18 x 8.5, I'm not so sure. Check the offset as well, and btw for your info 18 x 7 is 20 lbs, so not a bad drop in weight :).

·
Premium Member
111 Posts

Hey Demoralizer!!! Those are the exact same wheels as what I am planning on getting. If you want to see some pics of how they look, you should look at Jealouslover's profile, he has some 19" XXR 518's in matte black and they look amazing. Or you could look at his thread in the wheels forum section called "Lets talk about 19's" and that'll answer a lot of your questions about performance, rubbing on the fenders, etc. And to answer your question about the quality, I had some 18" Sport Max (I think Sport Max was bought out by XXR) 925's for 5 years and absolutely loved them. No problems at all. If you do get the "machined" ones, could you post some pics so we can see how they look? I'm debating going matte black or machined myself. I would only want machined if they are a glossy black look, not if they are polished silver, so PLEASE let me know:) Thanks and good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey main, from what i found they have a +48 offset which is the same as our stock rims, right? I'm still not sure i want to lower it. the only springs i've found only lower it about an inch and i'm just not sure i wanna spend the $$ there for an inch.

Ryan, I was hoping to find the 518's in a gloss black have been unable to. I really like the design of this rim and wish i could find one that looked similar to it glossy...oh well. I dont think they look like they have that glossy look, but i could be wrong. either way, i still like the machined finish and think that it'll give me the contrast i'm looking for from the tire.

Either way, for the price i think these are the ones i'm gonna go with. i'm in afghanistan right now ryan, but i'm having them shipped to my buddy's house. i'll have his wife take a picture and send them to me if/when i get them in the next month or so.

speaking of tires, im torn on which size to go with (Pirelli PZero Nero all season)...215/40 or 225/40. a buddy of mine things the 225's would be better b/c it'd give me about 3/4" on each side of the rim for "protection" from curbing (what protection is available, if you catch my meaning). he's big in to modding and really feels strongly about going with the 225. the 215's would give me about 1/2" on each side. what do you guys think? as of now, im leaning towards the 225's, but am kinda worried it might look weird with 3/4" of tire "outside" of the rim.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I had 225/35's on my 18 X 8.5 wheels before and they looked good. I really don't think they'd look too bad with a 18 x 7, either. But that's just my opinion. Also, in Edmonton we have a wheel re-manufacturing/repairing place called Wheelworks that specializes in detail work, repairs and re-finishing of factory and aftermarket wheels. I was gonna check with them to see if it's possible to get a gloss coating put on a matte black rim. I'm sure you could find a place like Wheelworks in San Antonio, too. Then we could both get exactly what we want (gloss black XXR 518-oooooh). And they'd be incredibly rare:) I'll let ya know what I find. Oh and thanks so much for the pics.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Okay, so after speaking with someone from Wheelworks, you CAN change a matte black wheel to gloss black but it looks like it's about $100 per wheel. And their finish warranty is only 90 days...

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow...doesn't sound like it'd be worth it. I'll keep lookin to see if i can find a 518-esk gloss black rim and let u know if i do. even though i'm in afghanistan, most of my time is spent surfing the internet so I got nothing but time for the next 4 months to try and find these

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
wow...doesn't sound like it'd be worth it. I'll keep lookin to see if i can find a 518-esk gloss black rim and let u know if i do. even though i'm in afghanistan, most of my time is spent surfing the internet so I got nothing but time for the next 4 months to try and find these
Hahaha, sounds great Demoralizer. I'll keep ya posted if I find anything else that's cool:cool:, too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts