Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has an 07' optima that he is trading in. He put 20in rims on it which he was told would never fit. He has been driving it for years without rubbing or issues.

Now that he is trading in his optima for a truck he says I can put the rims on my forte that should be arriving in a couple weeks from shipment. I don't have my car and he is stationed out of state. I really haven't messed with anything like this before but he told me I need to find out 2 things.

1. Will the forte lug pattern match the same as the optima?

2. Will 20's fit on a forte sedan SX? (again, everyone said it wouldn't work on his optima but I've driven it and they were fine)

Thanks,

·
Registered
104 Posts
well i have an '06 Spectra SX and i have 20's on it. i was also told that they wouldnt fit. i have had them for 2 years and no trouble for me either. i beleive the wheel base on my spectra is 102.8 in. and on the forte is 104.3. i dont think you should have any problems but there are other things to consider like the offset of the rims.

·
Registered
432 Posts
well i have an '06 Spectra SX and i have 20's on it. i was also told that they wouldnt fit. i have had them for 2 years and no trouble for me either. i beleive the wheel base on my spectra is 102.8 in. and on the forte is 104.3. i dont think you should have any problems but there are other things to consider like the offset of the rims.
Wheel base? We're talking bolt pattern here! Wheel base means nothing...

The Optima bolt pattern is 4x114.3. Forte is 5x100.

It's a good thing they don't fit, cuz it would've looked waaaaaaaaay out of place, IMO.... Plus, they would make the car slower than a 17hp lawnmower.

·
Registered
104 Posts
lol i forgot about the bolt pattern

·
Registered
432 Posts
^^ Not what I found at all..

EDIT: I guess what I found was wrong. I thought it was strange the Optima only had 4 lugs.. I just looked at pictures and there's 5.. so my sources were wrong, sorry. I meant to say 5x114.3 for the Forte but I dunno, I guess I wasn't paying attention, lol.

It's been a loooooooooong day!

BTW, please, don't put 20s on a Forte..

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I've seen a photo of a Forte with 20's on it and they were too big for the car (my personal opinion). If you do put them on, I think we'd all like to see a picture or two.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The wheels I'm getting are 18's and I really wouldn't recommend going any bigger... I actually just sold a set of 19's that would fit cause those even looked too big... This is what I had... 09-machinedsingow_18.jpg
and this is what I'm getting.. I'll be the first with these as they aren't available anywhere but through my sponsor right now... I was gonna wait but I can't lol... http://www.hd-inc.com/images/09-blackswitch_18.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So they do fit? good to know.

My brother is a gaudy car monster. Even though he doesnt come to visit often, the times he has come by with the optima I have to admit the rims look good on it. Im having him txt some pics to show you guys.

My deal is; this is my first new car and he has very nice expensive rims that he doesnt need. You guys are saying they will fit, so what does it hurt to toss them on and see how they look?

My car is going to take another month according to the dealer, and the rims are in texas while I am in CA. So, Ill show you when I can.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You do what makes you happy cause it is your car.. Doesn't hurt to try em before you deny em I just knew mine would look terrible and I'd have no performance if I went bigger than 18"...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thread on here was showing the following site that lets you see how different wheels would look on a forte

Interactive Wheel System - Discount Tire Direct

I had it show some 20's and they dont look too bad.

*Edit - Looks like that link will take you straight to the forte with 20's on it. You tell me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know you did not ask for opinions, but I think 20s on a Forte, no matter what style or finish, will look, hmm, very very bad.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion and you can do whatever you want with your car. I just don't see the point of putting rims so big that they will most likely rub (unless the width and offset is dead on) and will slow the car down BIG TIME, on top of making gas milleage go way down. All of this while looking stupid (again, my opinion). And the rims being expensive means squat if they don't look/fit right...

Btw, don't take offense in what im saying, im just trying to understand your motivation..

I'm from the Acura TL crowd. The TL is a bigger car than the Forte, and 20s didn't look right 95% of the time.....

In the end, it's all up to you though. I'm definitly not gonna tell you what to do or not to do with your car!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not saying that I would keep them on or that ill like them just because they are 20's. I also possess the ability to conclude if something doesn't look right.

To me it isn't that important. In my opinion the car looks good stock for the most part (which is why I bought it). I think getting an annoying loud paint color and spending $4,000 on tuner rims for a kia to look "fast and furious" makes you look like a douchebag. I have no intention on spending $4,000 on rims, I have kids. I may do some modifications but it has nothing to do with wanting to drift to impress anorexic asian girls with weak hair highlights. I just want a nice car for myself. But, as I said, my brother's are available to me for free. They are also very nice (looking) rims. So i thought I would atleast toss them on and see how they look. Or maybe Ill get my hands on them and tell right off that they wont look right before putting them on.

My initial purpose for starting this thread was to find out If they would fit, not if I should be trying to get them to fit.

BTW, did you look at the link I posted up there with the forte on 20's? I kind of think it looks good, do you not?

I do appreciate the input and thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt mean the rims themselves. I meant that 20's dont look as bad on a forte as everyone in this thread has been saying they would. Those rims were the only 20s they had to test. I just loaded the only ones they had to get an idea of what 20 inch rims on the car would look like.

·
Registered
432 Posts
^^ Well I think they are too big and don't look right, plus i cant imagine how harsh the ride will be with the tire size you will have to run in order to keep the diameter OEM-like... The rim will be exposed to potholes and curbs like never before!

EDIT: To keep the overall diameter close to stock, you would need something like 215/25-20 tires... i dont think they exist. 215/30-20 are larger than stock.

Falken makes a tire in 225/30-20.. which is considerably larger than stock....

Running a larger diameter rim/tire combo has no advantage.

You can still try 'em on like you're saying though.. I just don't think you'll want to keep them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts