Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, apologize this post elsewhere and insistence is appreciated.

My 2015 Kia forte overheated me the other day. Halfway through my drive prior to this my AC cut out, or at least I'm thinking in the condenser because it was still blowing just not cold anymore. Furthermore, got to my stop immediately upon parking car started smoking and I noticed that antifreeze was spewing out. Shut her off, had her towed home. I've since checked the fuses both under the dash and under the hood, both are good both ports have been tested and are receiving current. The fans aren't turning on, could that be because of no antifreeze since it leaked out for a possible wire issue somewhere else. I tested the fan separately by running a jumper from the positive and negative battery port to the fan connection and I turned on immediately. So I know that's not the issue.

This is my daily, money little tight so don't want to take you to a shop. Any ideas on anything I might have missed or should check since I can rule out it's not the fans.

Thank You

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
244 Posts
First off, since you said it was spewing coolant, make sure all of the hoses/junctions are still solid. If one of them seems brittle or like it was leaking, replace it. Other than that, just make sure the cooling system is filled and bled properly. If it keeps happening, then it might be a head gasket issue pressurizing the cooling system with air or something else entirely - diagnosis over the internet is kind of difficult. Did the car throw any codes? Scan the computer and check. Even if the check engine light didn’t come on it still might have given a code that can help you trace the root problem.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
244 Posts
Also, since you didn’t mention the temp gauge moving, that could be why the fans didn’t turn on. If the computer doesn’t see high temperatures, it won’t react accordingly. Try replacing the coolant temp sensor - if you live in a hot climate, having the fans not turn on because the coolant temp sensor doesn’t see a hot engine could cause overheating.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
378 Posts
First thing I'd recommend is getting a pressure system tester from your local auto parts store and pressure checking the system. It could be anything from a crappy radiator cap to a cracked hose, as mentioned, a cracked radiator or blown head or intake gasket. Too many variables to even guess without going through the steps. Check your oil and see if it looks like a chocolate milkshake. If so, you have a major problem.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
One of the biggest mistakes owners of older/high mileage cars make is to use the overflow reservoir to gauge coolant level!

The overflow reservoir does a good job of allowing the cooling system to expand when it is hot and then as the engine cools (while parked and not running) the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.

HOWEVER, if there is a small leak anywhere in the cooling system, this can cause the system to lose suction and the coolant won't get sucked back into the radiator as the engine cools. This can cause the cooling system to overheat because there isn't enough coolant in the cooling system. Since the coolant isn't getting sucked OUT of the overflow reservoir the owner thinks the system is full!

You should make it a habit of checking your car's coolant level IN THE radiator - at least once a month. You should also have noted the needle on your temperature gauge and where it sits every time you drive your car - it it ever changes position, your first inclination should be to check the coolant level in the radiator as soon as possible.

NEVER CHECK YOUR RADIATOR when the engine is hot - always check it cold - before starting the car the first time for the day!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Are the upper & lower radiator hoses collapsed/collapsing or sucked in when the over heat & spewing happens? If so check the thermostat & it's housing.

Also, when engine/radiator hoses are cool/cold. Squeeze the upper & lower radiator hoses. If you hear a muted rattling coming from around the engine, that's the thermostat gone bad. Replace.

Check the condition of both hoses while your at it. When has the radiator coolant/Antifreeze been changed?

What about the water pump? Check for leaks/weep hole. Leaks from weep hole means to buy a new water pump. The bearing is worn.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
One of the biggest mistakes owners of older/high mileage cars make is to use the overflow reservoir to gauge coolant level!

The overflow reservoir does a good job of allowing the cooling system to expand when it is hot and then as the engine cools (while parked and not running) the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.

HOWEVER, if there is a small leak anywhere in the cooling system, this can cause the system to lose suction and the coolant won't get sucked back into the radiator as the engine cools. This can cause the cooling system to overheat because there isn't enough coolant in the cooling system. Since the coolant isn't getting sucked OUT of the overflow reservoir the owner thinks the system is full!

You should make it a habit of checking your car's coolant level IN THE radiator - at least once a month. You should also have noted the needle on your temperature gauge and where it sits every time you drive your car - it it ever changes position, your first inclination should be to check the coolant level in the radiator as soon as possible.

NEVER CHECK YOUR RADIATOR when the engine is hot - always check it cold - before starting the car the first time for the day!
Eyelash Human Gesture Rectangle Happy

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
/\ /\ /\ NSFW!

Apparently you selected the wrong picture to post...LOL!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts