Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do owners think of the car so far? Strengths and weaknesses?

I'll start...

Strengths:

Styling
Fit and Finish
Paint appearance
Performance
Gas Mileage
Strong brakes with good feel
Firm but comfortable suspension
Very smooth idle
Good heater and AC
Simple controls
Steering wheel controls standard
Manual shift AT
4 wheel disc brakes
Traction control
Auto off headlights
Above average steering with little understeer
Roomy interior, especially rear set
Large trunk

Weaknesses:

Interior rattles
Poor sound deadening in wheels wells
Noisy engine at idle
Non matching hard plastic on top of doors
No Temp gauge on LX and EX
Reliability?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is one of the most annoying things about my car. You can hear every little rock hitting the wheel wells, and it almost sounds as if it's hitting my paint. :eek:
Exactly! They use the plastic liner in the front wheel wells, but not the rear. Reminds me of my cars from years ago that had no liners whatsoever...rocks clanking around that can be heard loudly.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i dont know if this is a complaint... or more of a wish list.. but a rear window wipper would be nice.. when it rains the water just sits there even at speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do the rear wheel wells have any sort of protection, such as thick black paint etc? If that is just metal back there, rust could be an issue very quickly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do the rear wheel wells have any sort of protection, such as thick black paint etc? If that is just metal back there, rust could be an issue very quickly.
The rear wheel wells are coated black, like an undercoating. At least mine are. Also the underbody on mine, but I suspect that may have been done by the dealer.

But it wouldn't matter, as the entire car is rustproofed at the factory before painting(galvanized metal, rustproof coating under the paint on the entire underbody). It's typical of any modern car.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I'm not a fan of rain-x on the windshield. Yes you drive at highways speeds without using your wipers in the rain but it seems to make the wipers chatter and skip when you need them with rain-x on.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Had the sedan since June and the Koup since September...no complaints about either...we just drive them. I think the fit and finish is excellent, the performance is more-than-adequate, and they're both fun to drive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is one of the most annoying things about my car. You can hear every little rock hitting the wheel wells, and it almost sounds as if it's hitting my paint. :eek:
I totally agree with you!!! I was thinking bout going out and buying a can of undercoating and spay it in there myself...because it gets VERY ANNOYING!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
My few complaints are:

- Passenger seat squeaks and rattles like crazy when nobody is in it (will get it looked at during my next service appointment)
- No factory car alarm on even the SX model in Canada (although there is an immobilizer)
- Too much road and wind noise when driving on the highway at highway speed (very hard to hear the Bluetooth when I'm driving on the highway)
- The clutch in the SX manual is far too touchy. I stalled it a lot at first and anyone that I let drive it stalls it. I think this can be fixed with a computer mod.

I've got way too many strengths of this vehicle. It's the most feature packed and comfortable car that I've owned. I love it more each day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Weaknesses:

Poor sound deadening in wheels wells
I read this before purchasing, and chose to ignore it. After driving it for a week or so, I must say, it's the biggest flaw I've noticed so far.

It's unbelievable how loud it is. While I don't do much/any driving on gravel roads, I've noticed it while driving over freshly salted roads after a snow fall.

Only complaint so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I first test drove the Kia Forte, I was shocked at how cheap the plastic used in the interior felt.

However, I got over it and bought the car because of other reasons.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My few complaints are:

- Passenger seat squeaks and rattles like crazy when nobody is in it (will get it looked at during my next service appointment)
- No factory car alarm on even the SX model in Canada (although there is an immobilizer)
- Too much road and wind noise when driving on the highway at highway speed (very hard to hear the Bluetooth when I'm driving on the highway)
- The clutch in the SX manual is far too touchy. I stalled it a lot at first and anyone that I let drive it stalls it. I think this can be fixed with a computer mod.

I've got way too many strengths of this vehicle. It's the most feature packed and comfortable car that I've owned. I love it more each day.
Your 3rd point is one of the main reasons for me not wanting an SX. The EX has a far smoother ride and is quieter than Cobalt/G5, Vibe/Matrix, Astra, Corolla, Civic, Mazda 3. It's about on par with the Focus, but looks and drives better.

But on the upside, you do have leather seating, nicer interior trim, SIRIUS and auto A/C. If they made an EX "luxury" option (all SX interior features, no engine/transmission/suspension upgrades), I would'have been all over that!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your 3rd point is one of the main reasons for me not wanting an SX. The EX has a far smoother ride and is quieter than Cobalt/G5, Vibe/Matrix, Astra, Corolla, Civic, Mazda 3. It's about on par with the Focus, but looks and drives better.

But on the upside, you do have leather seating, nicer interior trim, SIRIUS and auto A/C. If they made an EX "luxury" option (all SX interior features, no engine/transmission/suspension upgrades), I would'have been all over that!
It isn't an issue with the SX specifically. I know what you mean about the suspension being firmer and also louder when going over bumps, but I'm talking about wind-noise on the highway at highway speed. This is the same in all models of the Forte. I had an LX for a month and a half (my loaner car when my car was in the shop) and it was just as bad with wind noise. It just hard to hear without cranking your stereo up to 25 or more when you are making a call through Bluetooth when you are driving on the highway. The roads are usually smoother on the highway so it isn't an issue of the SX suspension making a bunch of noise.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wasn't saying that the wind noise wasn't noticable, but that it was less annoying than on most of the competition.

I know that the wind noise is the same in all Fortes, but you said road noise as well in your original post :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wasn't saying that the wind noise wasn't noticable, but that it was less annoying than on most of the competition.

I know that the wind noise is the same in all Fortes, but you said road noise as well in your original post :p
Touche! Noise in general then. :) What I notice the most was the wind noise at high speed. The road noise is worse on the SX when on bumpy roads than it is on the LX (or EX I'm sure) because of the stiffer suspension. Either way, too much noise!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think that our problem is that we want a Mercedes ride at Kia prices ;).

I think I may have to go with a Buick Regal (Opel Insignia) for the kind of ride I want (at the lowest possible price).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts