Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I know the P200A code was big deal for these cars and there are tons of posts about it, but with the following replacement I wanted to ask specific to my situation.

Okay, so I have a 2011 Forte SX. 3ish years ago got the CEL, ran a code and got the P200A code, everything I read at the time said it wasn't a HUGE deal, and only would affect the car during initial startup.

Never had any issues with the car running, no hard idle, nothing.

Getting around to doing work on the car, replaced the VCMA, drove it around after clearing the code and the CEL stayed off. When I got home, turned the car off, turned it back on a few hours later to run errands and the CEL was back. There was zero issue with start up, nothing at all. Went to check the code and I got a P2006 DTC.

So, I'm not the most adept when it comes to cars, so maybe I didn't clear something? Battery was disconnected while I replaced the VCMA, no other weird things when I was driving it, ideling, anything like that.

My question is, do I need to get a reflash? Or do I actually need to look into pulling off the intake manifold and check/clean the flaps in there?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
50 Posts
Hey Mud,

I ran P2006 through and found this info. It's possible you got a bad/faulty VCMA. Is it history or pending or present?

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Mechanical flap is stuck (check for signs of carbon or foreign object)
  • PCM or VCMA has failed (check the connector and pins for damage)
  • Opening control circuit is shorted to ground
  • Closing control circuit is open
Engine running; system voltage 11-16v, and the PCM detected that the mechanical flap of the VCMA was stuck in Closed stop position. The Variable Charge Motion Actuator (VCMA) is used for adjustments to the automotive flap. It is operated with two position, open and close. It makes swirl among intake air to reduce emission under cold start condition. This is worm gear driver type which doesn't guarantee restoring to limp home position in the case of loss of current supply. This device does not incorporate a mechanical return force due to no return spring.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
979 Posts
You can bench test a VCMA using jumper wires & 9V battery. If it's working, the motor will rotate. Switching the polarities will make the motor go counter& counter clockwise.

If the VCMA motor doesn't rotate in either position, it's a bad VCMA.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Also whatvtends to happen since the intake manifold is entirely made of plastic. The butterfly doors will warp/stick to the walls & causing the VCMA to work harder to open & close. Eventually burning out the VCMA.

I fixed mine & have never had a problem since.

I have a post on this.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Slowly & steady use of metal nail file to shave off a few mm from each intake manifold butterfly door.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Lots of WD40 to the inside. The dark black coffee that the WD40 will help remove will surprise you how much gets in there & stay stuck.

Had to let it soak for about a day.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh, the VCMA doesn't need to get a reflash. Unless something else is wrong. It will reset itself.

DON'T USE APPLIED MANUAL FORCE BY HAND OR WITH PLIERS TO THE VCMA IN TRYING TO SEE IF IT WILL TURN/ROTATE.

I broke mine cause I thought it was rusted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, the VCMA doesn't need to get a reflash. Unless something else is wrong. It will reset itself.

DON'T USE APPLIED MANUAL FORCE BY HAND OR WITH PLIERS TO THE VCMA IN TRYING TO SEE IF IT WILL TURN/ROTATE.

I broke mine cause I thought it was rusted.

All of those were awesome, I think I was following the previous post with that same set of photos where that dude pulled it apart and cleaned/filed it. That was gonna be a step if needed.

Anyways

UPDATE

CEL reset itself yesterday while I was driving around, checked for any codes and there were none, So I'm guessing since this was a new/updated part (G400 vice G200), the car just needed to refresh itself after some driving? Either way, everything is humming as much as a 2011 can, with no lights or issues.

Thanks for the feedback y'all!

·
Registered
979 Posts
All of those were awesome, I think I was following the previous post with that same set of photos where that dude pulled it apart and cleaned/filed it. That was gonna be a step if needed.

Anyways

UPDATE

CEL reset itself yesterday while I was driving around, checked for any codes and there were none, So I'm guessing since this was a new/updated part (G400 vice G200), the car just needed to refresh itself after some driving? Either way, everything is humming as much as a 2011 can, with no lights or issues.

Thanks for the feedback y'all!
Yeah, that's my post & pics. Before you remove the entire intake manifold. Remove the VCMA from the intake & use your fingers to check if the intake manifold butterfly doors stick/resist.

No resistance should be felt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts