Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or right depending how you look at it.

Long story short, a few days after getting my Forte the front bumper started to chip really bad. I went back to the dealer and they said they would repaint it. After many delays it came time to finally get it painted.

I dropped it off Sunday night to be painted. Got it back yesterday but noticed some issues.

1.) Over spray EVERYWHERE. The whole front half feels like sand paper.
2.) Clear coat all over headlight lenses
3.) Bottom grille and both fog housings with white paint all around the edges.
4.) Just painted over the rock chips.

Took it back today and spoke with the service guy. They are going to repaint the whole bumper again and get all of the over spray off. Here comes the bonus! They are going to fill in the license plate alignment holes for me and paint the center section of my lower bumper black at no additional charge.

I guess some good does come with the bad. :D Shoulda had em throw in the roof paint too. :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good to hear. It's suprising what some people think they can get away with. Getting the license plate holes filled is definitely a plus, sucks that you had to go through a bit of hell though.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Wow atleast they agreed to redo this again..
But I ask why could they not just do it the right way the first time?
is it lazyness or ???
Anyway glad to hear they are going the full mile this time ;)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Not all dealerships are created equal, guess I got it good with mine. That whole paint misshap is unnacceptable, hope this respray is the one they finally get right!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully the new paint job won't be done by the same guy
It won't be. We were sure of that.

^^^
Wow atleast they agreed to redo this again..
But I ask why could they not just do it the right way the first time?
is it lazyness or ???
Anyway glad to hear they are going the full mile this time ;)
Definitely laziness. Maybe i'm different, but in his shoes i never would have left a car looking the way it did. i take pride in my work. It's obvious he doesnt.

Not all dealerships are created equal, guess I got it good with mine. That whole paint misshap is unnacceptable, hope this respray is the one they finally get right!
They contract the paint work out so i can't really hold the dealership liable for it. They looked at it and were just as displeased with the work. The painters boss wasn't happy it was given to me looking that way. he promised me he'd make it right.

I'll keep going back until it's right... you can count on that.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dropped the car off yesterday to find out they fired the last painter as well.

They said they would send it to their body shop and have everything taken care of.

Picked up the car this evening and nothing was as promised. License plate holes still there. No black. Honestly, I could have lived with that. Problem is all of the issues I had were still not taken care of. Same over spray everywhere, same paint on grille, same shit diff day.

I told them I was just going to get an estimate and have them cut me a check for it. The service guy went and talked to the GM and they asked that I take it to another body shop they designate. Apparently, they have a relationship w/ them. So prob stupid me but I said I'd give them one more chance but I am dealing with the body shop directly myself. I am cutting out the middle man on this one hoping it's finally done correctly.

I am just so tired of this at this point.

Oh and the excuse for not filling in the plate holes... They say it's illegal to fill in the holes. BS. Just because we have to have front plates doesn't make it illegal for him to fill them in. It makes it illegal for me to drive like that. No liability to them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The bullshit of dealerships is really making me second guess taking the job I was offered to sell cars at a ford dealership today.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I went and got a couple of estimates.

1st shop: $1800
2nd shop: $1200

Both quoted around $300 for new bumper cover and paint and the rest for a claybar and wax or wetsand, buff, and wax.

I presented them to them and they pretty much laughed and said they weren't paying that and i'd have to go to their recommended place.

They promised it would be done correctly this time. With that verbal agreement and hand shake I will hold them to it. I am going to be overly picky about it. if not done correct i will give them a final chance to cut me a check for the estimate then I will be heading to court.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
How long is "a few days after getting the car".
When I was replacing my fog lamps I noticed chipping on the bottom of the bumper and I'm wondering if I can get it fixed, before I get a new sealant applied?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had my Miata painted by Maaco only $700 bucks and it looks fantastic:

www.microsoftinstructor.com/miataweb

Maybe try them!
I wouldn't let Maaco touch my car with a wet rag.

How long is "a few days after getting the car".
When I was replacing my fog lamps I noticed chipping on the bottom of the bumper and I'm wondering if I can get it fixed, before I get a new sealant applied?

Maybe a week if that. This wasn't minor chipping. 90% of the paint under the lower grille was missing by the time I got it painted the first time.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had some pretty good success today with my dealers paint shop. Note: Its the same overall dealer, just diff location and diff brand cars being sold. I stopped by because I wanted them to see what was going on first hand since they were getting a half ass story from my dealer. The guy was amazed at how bad it was. Both estimates I got yesterday told me I needed a new bumper cover as stripping the paint is too labor intense and not cost effective. They also said that it's the proper way to fix the issue as paint could keep flaking. The guys in service I have been dealing with told me they refused to replace the bumper cover as it wasn't necessary. At the paint shop they said the exact same thing as my estimates. They said the correct way was to replace the bumper cover.

I had the estimator call my service guy directly to relay that info to him. I am calling my service guy tomorrow. If he tells e they will not replace it I will ask to speak with their GM and if he also refuses I will be going to court. I now have 3 estimates including their own company telling me I need a new bumper cover to be done properly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well a week ago i went and talked to them and they refused the new bumper cover but promised all paint would be stripped and resprayed.

Didn't happen.

Now a week after dropping it off at the dealers body shop and rocking a sweet Hyundai Accent rental I went to pick my car up today. I had a bad feeling about it and the feeling was correct. The bumper is still somehow messed up. Now at this point I wasn't going to be overly picky but damn it there were still craters in the paint and over spray on the windows, headlights, and fog lights.

I am SOOOOO FAWKING fed up right now. They kept trying to tell me "Oh it's really not that bad. Do you really want to go thru this again?" I lost it. I screamed at them right in front of all of their customers. Then they tried to tell me my beef was with the painter and not them. I told them that I brought them 2 estimates. All I asked for was a check to cover it. They refused and sent me to their body shop. So my beef was with them as a company. They wanted me to take the car back and try and get a ride. I wasn't having it and told them I'd be keeping the rental and them getting the car there was their problem.

If the car isn't 100% I'm just going to take it and hire a lawyer. This will be the 5th time getting painted now. And screw small claims. I'll be going for a full payoff.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
If I were you I would call my insurance company and explain the situation. You can make a claim that they damaged your car with improper service and your insurance will fix it right and sue the Dealer....saves you the money of a law suit. My buddy just went through this on a Diesel rebuild gone bad.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That crossed my mind but I wasn't sure they'd back me up. I'm going to personally speak to the paint shop manager tomorrow. I have a feeling he is being told to cut costs on the job to save money. We will see though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked the car up and as you should know by now the story doesn't end there. Pretty much anything that wasn't bolted down from my vehicle was stolen. USB Drive, Collapsible Batton, Air Fresheners. I called the GM just to let him know that he has thieves working for him and I would never return to Thompson again in my life for any reason. I didn't ask for anything to be replaced because honestly the value is <$20 and I am just fed up with this. It's not worth the stress anymore. it has physically made me sick everyday since this started.

So yeah, anyone on MD, save yourself the stress and don't buy a car from or have service done at Thompson KIA in Fallston.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts