Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I"ll get up to the intro forum in a minute. The short story is...I'm on my second Kia. Had a Sorento from 2003 to this year and last month I traded the Sorento in for a Kia Koup.

I had one issue so far that was taken care of. I guess a seal by the firewall was missing and as a result, when it rained the passenger floor of my car was soaked. Dealer took care of that wonderfully.

Yesterday I noticed the paint on the car. It was bought new and we've had so much rain since I bought it, it was just hard to see. But yesterday it was clean and I saw this on the hood.

The only way I can describe it is it looks ghosted. I thought initially it was just wax that needed to be buffed off, but it seems it is under the clear coat. When it was back for service the dealer "detailed" it for me. Could this be a result of that? Any other Koup owners have this issue?

Thanks,

Elle

·
Registered
405 Posts
Look like a bad compound...

I made the same mess with my buffer on my elantra. it looks like u have some kind of holograms ?

Bring that to them and make them repair that.

BTW, welcome in here !

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
looks like someone washed it, but forgot to rinse off the soap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look like a bad compound...

I made the same mess with my buffer on my elantra. it looks like u have some kind of holograms ?

Bring that to them and make them repair that.

BTW, welcome in here !

yes yes...hologram would be a good description! I sent pics to the dealer, so I hope they make it right. When the guy "detailed" (doesn't anybody just wash a car anymore) he splattered the compound all over my windshield wipers. Really sort of sloppy, imo, but they were good otherwise. Hopefully they will come thru and fix this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was a detailed for three years. That is very definitely swirls from improper polishing and using the wrong compound! Whoever did the polishing obviously never handled a polisher before! Bring it to your dealer and tell them you want the hood repainted because if they try to buff it out, they will wear away too much of your clearcoat and you paint will fade prematurely!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a detailed for three years. That is very definitely swirls from improper polishing and using the wrong compound! Whoever did the polishing obviously never handled a polisher before! Bring it to your dealer and tell them you want the hood repainted because if they try to buff it out, they will wear away too much of your clearcoat and you paint will fade prematurely!
thanks very much. I was thinking they might just try to buff it out but I will surely insist on a new paint job for the hood. Actually, there are several scratches that they needed to take care of for me, so maybe the paint job will be the way to make everyone happy.

I guess I better check the rest of the car as well :-(

Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi all, I"ll get up to the intro forum in a minute. The short story is...I'm on my second Kia. Had a Sorento from 2003 to this year and last month I traded the Sorento in for a Kia Koup.

I had one issue so far that was taken care of. I guess a seal by the firewall was missing and as a result, when it rained the passenger floor of my car was soaked. Dealer took care of that wonderfully.

Yesterday I noticed the paint on the car. It was bought new and we've had so much rain since I bought it, it was just hard to see. But yesterday it was clean and I saw this on the hood.

The only way I can describe it is it looks ghosted. I thought initially it was just wax that needed to be buffed off, but it seems it is under the clear coat. When it was back for service the dealer "detailed" it for me. Could this be a result of that? Any other Koup owners have this issue?

Thanks,

Elle
Im a detailer for a local Porsche dealership and you my friend have what we call "swirlies" its what happens to ANY car when you dont use the proper equipment to wash or "detail" a car, it just so happens to show up on black more. you can also get these from going through carwashes that arent touch-free. My suggestion is that you take it to a REAL detailer and be ready to pay about $150-$200ish to have the entire car buffed out. If you lived anywhere near me, I would only charge you about $75-$100 to do it on the side.

As far as proper equipment goes, use a high-quality chamois ("shammy" a sham-wow will do), and when it comes time to remove the watermarks left over from that, use a microfiber (I would buy a pack of them in the event that you drop one youll see why in a bit) with some kind of body shine (I have a bottle of "showroom shine" or something like that that Mothers makes) you just spray one panel at a time and use the microfiber to rub the body shine around the panel until it soaks into the paint/evaporates. NOW, what I said earlier about dropping a microfiber towel.. if you drop a microfiber or a shammy, DO NOT USE IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU WASH IT (even washing it sometimes doesnt help a microfiber, at my work if we drop one we either dedicate it to window use or throw it away). If you use a dropped microfiber or shammy again, you run the risk of putting (more) swirlies (hairline scratches) in the clearcoat.

I cant really think of anything else to say about this issue but any questions just shoot me a PM or visitor message or whatever lol get in touch with me somehow! Because every time i hear about someone using a beach towel to dry their car off (any car) I wince haha. Just tryin to help everyone keep their Fortes lookin nice, swirl-free, and shiny!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time for something different on the car !
Have them buffed the hood, then ask 'hem to make some holograms with a nice patern then have it cleared !

Will be unique !

Hmm...wonder if they could put the Star ship Enterprise on there for me!! :D

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is true as well, it could be a bad compound or even a bad buffer pad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im a detailer for a local Porsche dealership and you my friend have what we call "swirlies" its what happens to ANY car when you dont use the proper equipment to wash or "detail" a car, it just so happens to show up on black more. you can also get these from going through carwashes that arent touch-free. My suggestion is that you take it to a REAL detailer and be ready to pay about $150-$200ish to have the entire car buffed out. If you lived anywhere near me, I would only charge you about $75-$100 to do it on the side.

As far as proper equipment goes, use a high-quality chamois ("shammy" a sham-wow will do), and when it comes time to remove the watermarks left over from that, use a microfiber (I would buy a pack of them in the event that you drop one youll see why in a bit) with some kind of body shine (I have a bottle of "showroom shine" or something like that that Mothers makes) you just spray one panel at a time and use the microfiber to rub the body shine around the panel until it soaks into the paint/evaporates. NOW, what I said earlier about dropping a microfiber towel.. if you drop a microfiber or a shammy, DO NOT USE IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU WASH IT (even washing it sometimes doesnt help a microfiber, at my work if we drop one we either dedicate it to window use or throw it away). If you use a dropped microfiber or shammy again, you run the risk of putting (more) swirlies (hairline scratches) in the clearcoat.

I cant really think of anything else to say about this issue but any questions just shoot me a PM or visitor message or whatever lol get in touch with me somehow! Because every time i hear about someone using a beach towel to dry their car off (any car) I wince haha. Just tryin to help everyone keep their Fortes lookin nice, swirl-free, and shiny!
Thanks very much for the info!

I in fact DO use microfiber cloth, though I must confess, this is a new idea that I started to do with this car, lol. I only washed it once since it has been raining non stop since I got it.

I used McGuires (spelling?) car wax (paste) and used their spongy thing to put it on. Could that have caused this? I mean it looks so deep into the finish that I can't believe my wax would do that.

Thanks again for the info. I will def be shooting you some PMs as I would like to take care of this paint job for awhile!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks very much for the info!

I in fact DO use microfiber cloth, though I must confess, this is a new idea that I started to do with this car, lol. I only washed it once since it has been raining non stop since I got it.

I used McGuires (spelling?) car wax (paste) and used their spongy thing to put it on. Could that have caused this? I mean it looks so deep into the finish that I can't believe my wax would do that.

Thanks again for the info. I will def be shooting you some PMs as I would like to take care of this paint job for awhile!
depending on the material that the sponge is made of, it MAY have caused it, but Id still try to ream your local dealership for goofin it up just to get it done right for free haha. At my work (and what i use on my car) we use a really soft fabric "sponge" I cant really think of how to describe it lol.

Another tip is to not use too much pressure pushing down with a microfiber or shammy. what I usually do is just kinda "throw" the shammy on the car and pull it off (not like patting lol its actually sliding across the panel is what i mean) and with a microfiber ill literally just let it glide over the panel, hardly any pressure at all involved with using a microfiber.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Lol i keep forgetting to mention things.. forgetful me.

Another thing is, Id be careful using any pastes. Id stick with gels or "toothpaste consistency" liquids, basically anything OTHER than something that youve gotta rub a cloth in. Im not sure if its true or not but Ive seen "waxes" that are like that to where you have to rub a cloth or sponge in that are like both a compound and a wax (similar to paint cans that have primer in it, same concept, primer in paint=abrasives in wax)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
depending on the material that the sponge is made of, it MAY have caused it, but Id still try to ream your local dealership for goofin it up just to get it done right for free haha. At my work (and what i use on my car) we use a really soft fabric "sponge" I cant really think of how to describe it lol.

Another tip is to not use too much pressure pushing down with a microfiber or shammy. what I usually do is just kinda "throw" the shammy on the car and pull it off (not like patting lol its actually sliding across the panel is what i mean) and with a microfiber ill literally just let it glide over the panel, hardly any pressure at all involved with using a microfiber.
That is really interesting about the sponge. I really didn't remember paint being so darn touchy. I knew I should have bought a white car, lol.

I know it won't be perfect forever, but those swirl marks have got to go!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol i keep forgetting to mention things.. forgetful me.

Another thing is, Id be careful using any pastes. Id stick with gels or "toothpaste consistency" liquids, basically anything OTHER than something that youve gotta rub a cloth in. Im not sure if its true or not but Ive seen "waxes" that are like that to where you have to rub a cloth or sponge in that are like both a compound and a wax (similar to paint cans that have primer in it, same concept, primer in paint=abrasives in wax)

thanks again. So what brand wax/polish do you use?

·
Registered
769 Posts
That is really interesting about the sponge. I really didn't remember paint being so darn touchy. I knew I should have bought a white car, lol.

I know it won't be perfect forever, but those swirl marks have got to go!
Black is by far THE HARDEST color of car to keep clean. But it looks so damn sexy when it IS clean lol.

I had a 1995 F150 (white with blue side stripes) i kept in pristine condition and the paint (minus the chips from 162,000 miles of love) was nearly perfect, no swirls so it IS possible to keep a car pretty dang near perfect if you keep up with it right.

·
Registered
769 Posts
thanks again. So what brand wax/polish do you use?
Well I use the same wax my work uses which i have NO idea what its called since we get our stuff from a company called Dealer Industries. But ill do some research into what wax would be equal to what I use and let yall know

1 - 18 of 18 Posts