Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Who else thinks the paint quality on their Koupe is crappy ???
I have owned numerous cars from new, and have never had as many stone chips as i have now.

I picked up my Silver Koupe on xmas eve 2009, and now have numerous chips on the bonnet & front spoiler.

I love my Koupe and can say its the best car i've owned, but i'm a bit anal about keeping them clean and in pristine condition, and its now really getting to me.
I had the X Pack paint protection put on b4 i bought it, and although it does give a great finish, i am now beginning to think it was a waste of money.
I know stone chips happen but i think i've had more than my fair share of them now.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think it's the style of the cars today with sloping bonnets. Also I'm a firm believer in mud flaps as I think that half the chips on the bonnet come off your own tyres. My 2008 Corolla had mud flaps both in front and rear of each tyre and I never got many chips on that car.
This car is no worse than many of my previous cars the last one a Honda Civic, I make sure when on a highway to stay well behind vehicles especially trucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
While I do think the quality of the paint job is not great compared to other companies the stone chips are not so much a reflection of that. If you have a lot of stone chips is probably cause your following the car in front of you too close. The closer you follow the more crap gets thrown onto your car especially on highways. There is always the option of the 3M clear nose bra to protect your can without hindering the look of it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I find the paint to be equal of most cars today. Mine is holding up very nicely. I only wash it once a month and I don't drive too close to the cars in front of me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the 3M clear bra since day one (Front bumper, 24 inch of the hood and both mirrors) and my car is perfect !! I'm on the highway 90 % of the time !!! Very nice product !

I have my car since May 2010 !

Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I do think the quality of the paint job is not great compared to other companies the stone chips are not so much a reflection of that. If you have a lot of stone chips is probably cause your following the car in front of you too close. The closer you follow the more crap gets thrown onto your car especially on highways. There is always the option of the 3M clear nose bra to protect your can without hindering the look of it.
Hey Guys.....i can assure you i never travel close to the vehicle in front, and if any of you have ever driven in Queensland you'd understand why....the standard of driving here is shocking so i always give myself plenty of room, just in case.

I think maybe i've just been unlucky !!! will have a look at the 3M gear though. Do you fit it yourself ??

Cheers Guys

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I drive the same as my previous 07 Pontiac Wave and I have much more chips in the first 3 months than the 3 years I owned the Wave. I did the touch up paint thing a couple of months ago (looks like the car has blemishes now) and there are now several more chips to do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
No paint work will stand up to a stone hitting it at great velocity, no matter what car you drive.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah i understand that, but i am still very disappointed.....
Yeah I can understand that I have some on the bonnet and the black surround on fogs. It annoyed hell out of me for weeks even though I bought some touch up paint and touched them up. But a few months down the track I never look that hard at the chips anymore only when I wash the car do I notice them.
I drove to Cairns last year in my then Honda Civic, by the time I got home I had so many stonechips on the front of the car, any car will chip I guess.
When in Tweed Heads filled car up with petrol and wondered why car kept stalling, I went back to the service station and realized I put diesel in it. $650 later the car was fixed :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts