Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice A LOT of people complain about their paint. I haven't had any issues. I have close to 14K miles on my white 2010 EX and don't have a single scratch, ding, dent, or chip any where on the car. I do however notice stuff seems to sick to worse than any other car I have had. Maybe white holds up better???

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's not as bad as everyone makes it seem, IMO. I'd say average.

·
Registered
257 Posts
White is forgiving. I do agree, while my paint is in good shape, it is pretty "thin" and is easily scratched. Hopefully next week I an going to be able to get my car in the shop from getting rear ended in May. Then at least part of the rear of the car will be painted pretty well.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've noticed my spoiler has some swirls and 2 faint scratches but I think it was painted somewhere else other thanwhen the car was painted.the paint seems to be alright overall

The only tiny chip I really have is on the top of my fender and my fault for knocking it with a wrench while taking out my headlights, but I also keep my car clean and waxed, winter will be the real test, I hope to have a clear bra by then

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Seriously white is forgiving. I have a darker car and the hood's got a few good chips. The bumper has a few chips coming from bugs (I've never had a bug give me a chip before but ok).

It's about average for car's today. Thick paint used to be standard on a lot of cars. They didn't know how to make metal that didn't rust so they just doubled up on paint to be on the safe side. Today coats are thinner to save weight, costs, and waste at the plant.

The only cars that get thicker paint are luxury cars. Go compare a Toyota to a Lexus you'll see the difference in paint. Some have "self healing" paint check out Merc and Infiniti.

·
Registered
258 Posts
thats true a white car most of the time does make a lot longer without any scratches or anything like that i have a black car and i have a bunch of lil scratches just from rocks ... sucks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Self healing paint, that's crazy technology!
It is true, hondas, toyotas, etc have real soft Paint too, my old 4runner would swirl and scratch from nothing it seemed, black also, and 4wheeling chipped the paint horribly, lighter colors seem to fair better for some reason in terms of integrity

·
Registered
139 Posts
I Considered mine pretty thin (black) compared to other cars. lots of front end chips on the leading edge of the hood. Put a bra on it just to get scratches from the bra lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I constantly get chips on the leading edge of my hood. Averages about 2 a week. last one was about half the size of a dime. IMO the paint it way too thin. I filled the chips in the best I could with touchup paint and an ugly ass hood deflector is in the mail. I guess better to rock the hood deflector than have to repaint my hood once a yr.

2,213 Posts
Actually if you use a water based clear coat it should stand up to chips. It's a little more expensive cause it's new, but def worth it. I haven't seen any new chips since I had it done a month ago

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Self healing paint, that's crazy technology!
It is true, hondas, toyotas, etc have real soft Paint too, my old 4runner would swirl and scratch from nothing it seemed, black also, and 4wheeling chipped the paint horribly, lighter colors seem to fair better for some reason in terms of integrity
The idea for Self Healing paint isn't exactly new on really old cars with lacquer paint you use paint thinner to flow it again and just smooth out the scratch area.

On today's luxo cars it's the same idea. Except it uses the power of the sun to reflow the clear coat ever so slightly to fill scratches. You gotta becareful what polish and wax you use. And this self healing is only good for about 5 years before the paint fully cures. I am in to amateur detailing and have a friend that ran a mobile detailing business so you get to learn a lot of crazy stuff.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If yours is holding up consider yourself lucky lol.

This is my 4th Kia and I must say the paint on my Koup is the worst yet. Other colors have been blue, black, and white. With 8k miles the my hood is peppered with little chips :( I have never taken it on a dirt road and I have a hood deflector.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i still have love bug guts stuck on the edge of my hood within the clear coat..despite being washed like 5+times.. even sprayed bug remover on it.. it sucks but whatever. also have chips on my front bumper.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Just got my first rock chip today!!! It's on my passenger rear quarter panel, at the base of the C-pillar. It's down to the primer at least, it's driving me crazy. Has anyone gotten this fixed under warranty?? I intend to see my dealer about this next week...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Paint is thin and cheap, got more chips in the last 8 months on my 2011 then my 20 year old 91 prelude

1 - 20 of 21 Posts