Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(No I'm not new, I lost access to my old account [Reject])

But I painted my wheels today.

Tada.

Oh I also painted the chrome grill, I'll grab some pics of that in a minute.

Grill:

Things you will need (All of it is available at autozone and advance):
Mask
Latex Gloves
Duplicor Wheel Coating - Color (if you're doing your grill as well you will need 2 cans)
Duplicor Wheel Coating - Clear (Only one can of the clear coat worked for me)
Sandpaper 320 grit & 600 grit
Duplicolor touch up prep wipes or spray - (used to clean the wheels)
microfiber towel
tack cloth (optional but helps when wiping the rims down after sanding)

I used a video on youtube to give me a rundown of how to paint my rims.
You can view it here:

The painting of the rims will take all day, and then has to sit for 24 hours before use. (So make sure you have 2 days where you don't have to use your car)

(ALWAYS WEAR FACE PROTECTION WHEN PAINTING AND LATEX GLOVES WHEN HANDLING CHEMICALS SUCH AS THE PREP WIPES / SPRAY)

1) Loosen wheels, jack up the car and remove all 4 wheels. (If you don't have jackstands, like me you can use the spare and the jack to do two at a time, otherwise do all 4)

2) Clean the rims with soapy water and a pressurized hose and wipe dry with a clean cloth.

3) Then use the duplicolor prep wipes or spray to make sure the wheels are completely clean, wipe dry with your clean cloth.

3) Sand each rim with the 320 grit sandpaper, make sure to do a thorough job and get all the corners. (The idea is to ruff up the rim so the paint will adhere properly, you don't need to overwork the rim)

4) Use the tack cloth to remove the dust left by sanding. (I just sprayed the rims down after sanding because my tack cloth ended up as a playtoy for my cat and it ended up fine) The tack cloth might leave a sticky residue, I would rinse the rims after tack clothing just to be safe.

5) If you are leaving the tires on the wheels, use tape and newspaper to cover the wheels and protect them from overspray (Take your time on this and make sure you don't cover the rim at all with the tape, the bad spots on my wheels are because of how I taped off the wheel)

-If you want to have a colored lip, you can always tape off that section and paint it a different color

6) When painting the wheels make sure to be in a well ventilated room with your mask on! You want to be in an area with limited opportunities for foreign objects to land on the wheels while drying or spraying.

7) Before using the duplicor wheel coating (color) shake the can for a full minute, and after for every minute of spray, shake for 10 seconds.

7.5)
Just a note, for longevity, you should've used a Self-Etching Primer as your first few light layers (ie, after sanding but before painting).
8) Spray a light coat on the wheels (make sure to get every side of the rims and try to keep it as even as possible)

9) Wait 10 minutes

10) Spray your second coat of color, again another light coat.

11) Wait 10 minutes

12) Spray a third and final coat of color this time with a medium coat (make sure you have sprayed all sides of the spokes evenly)

13) Wait 10 minutes

14) Repeat the painting process but with the clear coat

15) Let the rims sit for 1 hour before touching (if doing the 2 at a time method)
-If doing the all at once method, let all rims sit for 24 hours before use (after one hour the wheels can be placed back on the vehicle, be careful not to scratch them

16) The paint will scratch more easily then the original, make sure to warn mechanic shops etc to be careful when handling them

The grill:

(Estimated time 1-2 hours painting, let sit for 24 hours for best result)

1) Take the grill off the car, and then remove the chrome piece from the black webbing (there are several small screws holding the chrome piece on)

1) I used the duplicolor wheel coating for my grill and it came out fine.

2) Sand the grill using the 320 grit sandpaper (this time put a bit more effort into it because you need to dull out the chrome for the paint to adhere properly)

3) 2 coats light, 1 coat medium color (10 min between each coat)

4) 2 coats light, 1 coat medium clear (10 min between each coat)

5) I let mine sit overnight before putting it back on the car to be safe (would probably be okay after 1 hour)

6) Use extreme caution when putting the grill on, I scratched mine when screwing it back in.

Final tip: Watch that video, read the instructions on the duplicolor can and you guys should be fine!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ha ha I've got your account!

Just kidding, it's shattered.stars. I'll get it back to you in a couple minutes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Since I'm moving to Florida I can't afford to splurge so I just painted them and yeah it came out in a flat black. This was my first time ever painting rims, and well painting metal period. I just used 2 light coats of color followed by a medium coat, and 2 light coats of clear followed by a medium.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
It's funny that you got bit by the "black bug". I didn't think you were going to go that route. I like them but now I have to dig up a picture of what they used to look like because its hard to make out the details and I can't remember what rims the 5Ds come with.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Hmmm....I like that. I wonder what color would go with my Bronze??

·
Registered
638 Posts
Black would look good with the bronze, but bronze would also look amazing with bronze lol. Maybe even a pure white.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Good job Reject, especially for your first time. They look good. Always thought gunmetal looked best with white, but recently I started liking all black rims also. What part of FL you moving to?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks,
Wesley Chapel, just outside of tampa.

You can't tell in the pics but theres a few crappy spots on the rims, I'm gonna touch em up in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hope you like the area man. Yeah, can't really tell in the pictures, but I'm sure in person they are more noticeable. Keep up the good work modding your car.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks, I'm not doing anything else until I get a job down in Tampa and my bank account stabilizes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Good thinking. Hope you have a smooth move. I'm hoping the FL members will do, or want to do, some sort of meet this year at some point.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Man that looks good, how long did it take and was it easy? What kinda paint did u use? Maybe you could throw in the steps, since on ur 1st try it came out fine. (I know I know maybe I could go search the threads) :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sorry I haven't been on, the process was pretty simple. I'll write up a little guide and update my first post with estimated times etc.

Updated the post.

The timing for rims breaks down as.
Prep work (10-15min per wheel)
Sanding (15-20min per wheel)
Cleaning after sanding (2-3min)
Painting--
each coat (1-2 min per rim) x 6
(10 minutes between each coat)
let dry for 1 hour before touching
24 hours before use

Total time: ( minimum of 11 hours if doing 2 wheels at once, probably significantly shorter if all at once )

Grill total time: (1 to 2 hours for prep and paint, 24 hours for total drying time, 1 hour after paint to dry to touch)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to be following in your foot steps. I have been considering this ever since I bought the car.
Surprisingly the stockers look real good flat black.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yeah I was getting really sick of the stock wheels and figured eh I'll paint em and if it turns out bad I can just get new ones eventually. But I really like them black. No desire to get new rims anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah I was getting really sick of the stock wheels and figured eh I'll paint em and if it turns out bad I can just get new ones eventually. But I really like them black. No desire to get new rims anymore.
That is what I was thinking as well. "Its worth a shot".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts