Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got the kit and going to go ahead and paint the calipers in red. Anything I should know before getting going? From the instructions it says take all four wheels off - first that is not going to happen since I only have 2 jacks I am going to have to do 2 at a time. Is it also essential to not drive for 24 hours and not put the wheels on for 2 hours? I would like to knock it out in a morning but if cannot put the wheels back on for a couple hours the whole process is going to take me longer.

Mark

·
Registered
288 Posts
Obviously, the easiest way is to do one wheel at a time. I dont know about the 24 hours without wheels thing. I painted mine by pulling one off, painting the caliper, putting the wheel back on and moving to the next. I did it at night so I could sit for a while but dove the car 100 miles the next morning.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
well the way i did it was one wheel at a time as well. i took the caliper off(but kept that hose on) and masked everything up and painted the caliper then i let it sit and dry then put it back on and then on to the next wheel. took me a total of 5 hrs to do it but damn it looks good. and i let mine sit for about 6 hrs or so then drove on it. mine hasnt came off except for rock chips that i will have to touch up

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I threw my car up on jack stands and took all 4 off. Painted one and then moved to the next. By the time I was done with the 4 it was time to start the next coat.

Did that for 3 coats and then let them dry for an hour, put the wheels on and lowered it. Let the car sit for about 20 hours without driving.

Looks great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 coats? Man I didn't even see it say that it needs more than one.

I think ill do one coat go a wheel at a time and see if it needs more coats. I understood the needing to sit but was surprised by it saying to leave the wheel off, really cannot see the problem with putting the wheel back on...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I definitely recommend letting it sit for a day or so to properly dry after applying 2 or 3 coats. I used duplicolor on a previous car and drove it after 2 hours of drying. 2 months later they were peeling pretty badly.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I did one at a time, also do yourself a favor go buy a extra brush or two.. the one in the kit is cheap and it tends to come apart.

I did two coats and in the kit I used it said to do the coats with in the first hour .. other wise you could make the paint lift so be sure to give it time if you plan of doing more coats later.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I did one wheel at a time, but i made sure i kept painting coats on until i was satisfied with how the caliper looked. I let each coat dry for about 15 mins. :) After i was done with one, I let it sit for another 20 mins then I CAREFULLY put the wheel back on. But I didn't drive for a full 30 hours. I wanted the paint to cure fully...

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I did one wheel at a time, but i made sure i kept painting coats on until i was satisfied with how the caliper looked. I let each coat dry for about 15 mins. :) After i was done with one, I let it sit for another 20 mins then I CAREFULLY put the wheel back on. But I didn't drive for a full 30 hours. I wanted the paint to cure fully...
You must have been in agony not being able to drive your baby for that long lol. I have the paint ready to go, just trying to figure out a good day weather wise and to be sure I won't need my car for a day lol. :cool:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You must have been in agony not being able to drive your baby for that long lol. I have the paint ready to go, just trying to figure out a good day weather wise and to be sure I won't need my car for a day lol. :cool:
Oh yeah.. but my baby needed a rest! Lol :rolleyes:... But hey if you're gonna do something... might as well do it right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts